Do you like the term Sheltie?

Rasmie

^^ agreed..

I get slated from time to time for using the term Chinky.. when refering to a chinky takeaway.. it always leaves me bemused as other than have to say im away to the chinese to pick up a take away.. which is all fine and formal.. it fairly long winded imo.. If people want to class me as racist for that then let them be so.. :roll:

^^ agreed..

I get slated from time to time for using the term Chinky.. when refering to a chinky takeaway.. it always leaves me bemused as other than have to say im away to the chinese to pick up a take away.. which is all fine and formal.. it fairly long winded imo.. If people want to class me as racist for that then let them be so.. :roll:

Thats exactly my point , I use the term all the time but you dont "really" get termed a racist because off it , but if you say a Pakistani takeaway or similar it "seems" wrong doesnt it ?

Personally I think the media get a nudge from the pc brigade who jump on the nearest badwagon and through constant shargin they change peoples opinion about what they perceive to be right or wrong.

Im maybe wrong but thats my opinion. :?

What happens when you run out of words/terms which are acceptable to the people concerned, don't the rest of us have some rights to continuity and not having to rack your brains every time to try and make sure you're using the "current" term when referring to these people.

Very, very few words in their own right are exclusively racist or exclusively negative to a particular ethnicity/regional people, but many words can be used in racist and/or negative contexts. Seems to me people who complain in this way, have an inferiority complex/chip on their shoulder they'd be wise to lose.

I don't think there's any PC conspiracy going on here, to make life difficult for people. The issue is about respect. If you make it known to people that you don't want to be called a Sheltie, or any other term, then you would hope that people would respect your wishes. And the same should go for others.

Some words are inherently racist, usually this is related to their history - they may have colonial connotations, like <uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!>, or it may be wartime nicknames like Gerry, Wop, Nip etc.

Usually though the perceived racism comes almost from an idea of laziness. You shorten the word because you can't be bothered to be accurate, which is understandably percieved as racist. Calling someone Pakistani rather than Pakistani - why would you save yourself the one syllable when you know people don't like the word? Same with Chinki. And calling someone Pakistani when you don't know if they're from Pakistan, India or Bangladesh is obviously a complete lack of respect for their history and their identity.

I don't think you can ever go wrong with simply being accurate. (There are obvious exceptions, where it is simply a matter of knowing the correct term, which again is a matter of respect. If people prefer the word black to coloured, who am I to go against that? These sensitivities come about for good reason. Racism does exist remember, and I imagine it's pretty unpleasant to find yourself the victim of it).

The issue is about respect. If you make it known to people that you don't want to be called a Sheltie, or any other term, then you would hope that people would respect your wishes.

These sensitivities come about for good reason. Racism does exist remember, and I imagine it's pretty unpleasant to find yourself the victim of it

All very serious here.

Cant say I've ever felt demeaned being called a Sheltie but then I cant say I've ever felt demeaned.

Word of advice; if your ever in the Tourvouge and someone calls you a Sheltie, dont tell them you feel like a victim of racism because of it.

Just cheer loudly and maybe spill some of your ale on yourself or the person next to you while dancing a jig. This should produce the desired respect.

Come to think of it this could prove more likely to get you a punch in the head, but at least you can take it with your respect intact and they cant say they hit you cause you were pleepsin aboot sharn.

Come to think of it your respect might not be totally intact, most likely gone by the time the bar shuts but you get a bloody good laugh along the way, even with all them fudge eating scum. :twisted:

I'm having a bit of a problem with this thread! Far from finding the term 'sheltie' demeaning, I find it a bit endearing.

For someone to use it, they must at least have gone to the bother of getting a bit of background knowledge about Shetland.

Love it or hate it, 'sheltie' is a fairly well used term among people with more then a passing knowledge about Shetland. To use the term 'shetlands' shows ignorance about us, to use the term 'sheltie' shows at least a little bit of knowledge.

Believe me, i've been called far worse than a 'sheltie' in my time! If thats an insult then i'm honoured!

• 2 weeks later...