JAStewart

Where do you shop?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you shop?

• Somerfield
    • Co-op
    • Both
    • Neither

Out of the two Lerwick 'corperate' supermarkets, at which one do you shop?

I work at Somerfield and so get a 10% discount, thus I would shop there. Even if I didn't work there, i'd still shop there because Co-op is a bit dingy and gloomy in my opinion.

note: I haven't given you a choice of anything but those two because thats what I want to find out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somerfield. Last time I was in the co-op I came out incandescent with rage. The girl on the check out sat on her ample bum and didn't help pack the bags of the lady who shopping she was putting through then when she had finished scanning just sat there and still made no attempt to help. Then she started giving the women evil looks for taking so long to pack all the stuff that she had just fired down the slide. And then started tutting loudly when the women started putting her purse in her hand bag before moving away from the check out.

Now okay I live in Aberdeen and I'm used to Asda, Sainsburys and Tesco all trying to relive me of my hard earned. I know that in Sainsburys it's a disciplinary offence not to at least ask if you want help packing your bags. Sorry this appears to have turned into a major rant

I can only apologise for taking up so much of your time reading my moan. Down with the Co-op

Supermarkets I hate them and would be happy if they didn't exist at all. Support local shops, small retailers, get a veg box delivered, go to farmers markets, butchers, bakers, fishmongers, green grocers, newsagents they all have chariter abd they money stays in your local community.

up the independent :D

Somerfield without a doubt. That said perhaps a defence for the Co-op. It is possible that the customer before Bannock was one who insisted on packing their own shopping. They exist and the checkout operator might have known that the lady was one such customer.

The point about the Co-op being a gloomy place is well made and how often do shoppers have to go back to the car park to find a trolley?.

The shop local point is well made. Although they cant match supermarkets on some things.....bananas and ground coffee for example.....the two local shops near me are cheaper than the supermarkets on other products and both have products that neither supermarket stocks.

When it comes to fresh meat and fish I always shop local.....better products and often cheaper.

Guest Anonymous

Shops in general.

I had been on the mainland a few years ago and one of the stores were selling a brand of mens shirts for £7 each. They were cheap and nasty.

Some weeks later I was back here and had an interview to go to which I required a shirt for. I wanted a particular colour so went to a local mens outfitters. He had the colour that I wanted in my size. As he handed it to me he asked for £23. I looked at the label and it was the same brand as the one I had seen on the mainland, same material, same everything.

I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow. Suddenly the shirt was discounted by a fiver. I paid the £18 but would never go back to that shop again.

When I look where I spend my money I have to admit that very little gets spent on Shetland. I spend the most at the supermarket, a well known retailer of wieghed and packaged foods, and a stationary supplies shop unrelated to the media industry. The vast majority goes off the island to eBay, Play.com and Amazon. Why? My pay is so bad that I need to maximise what I can buy with it. I know about economies of scale, but more than anything I know whats in my wallet at the end of the month.

Has anyone been into the new men's boutique in Lerwick, the one with the same name as Scotland's premier online gay, lesbian and bisexual resource http://www.scotsgay.co.uk/io20a/ ? I walk past there almost every day at different times of the day and have yet to see a single customer in there. :wink:

Mostly shop at Somerfield, but do visit the coop as well, but not so often. Staff at the coop need to buck up there ideas, especially the check out operators, the long term ones see them selves as the privelleged, and offer very little help and a hello or smile would not go a miss, but to get of there backsides is another story. At somerfield the operators chat with you help you and full of fun and makes the tedious job of shopping a bit more plearurable. :)

Personally I actually prefer Somerfield because it does just seem so much cleaner and newer than the Co-op. Although the Co-op pays better so I worked there last summer and will work there again when I return home for summer.

There seems to be a fair few complaints about the staff at the Co-op; I can't speak for the rest of the workers but whilst I worked there I certainly did my best to smile at the customers and be as friendly and approachable as possible whilst still getting on with my job. It sounds a bit corny, but I think if someone's paying you to work in customer service then that's how you should behave.

They should've put me on the tills. I would've provided a friendly face and I wouldn't have to lift heavy boxes of fruit - everyone wins!

Supermarkets I hate them and would be happy if they didn't exist at all. Support local shops, small retailers, get a veg box delivered, go to farmers markets, butchers, bakers, fishmongers, green grocers, newsagents they all have chariter abd they money stays in your local community.

up the independent :D

I agree. The money spent in supermarkets lines the pockets of its shareholders and they have producers over a barrel. I dread to think how much cash disappears from the Shetland economy each week, with very little benefit to local producers and the community in general (except for workers and hauliers wages)

Why should we be buying New Zealand lamb in Shetland. Or Spanish fish. Think of the wastage in fuel to transport produce half way round the world so that we (the punters) can potentially save a couple of pence.

I reckon we should try to buy local, seasonal products whenever possible.

Having said that, the convenience of supermarkets is unbeatable. But do we always have to take the mindless path of least resistence?

It's a bit of a sausage for you toonies, the country shops far exceed D&G Les and Timberthingy's. You're kind of stuck with the supermarkets. Get out of the town! Country life is much better :wink:

opps forgot about spar and lochside...........ehm, nae odds.