• Somerfield
    • Co-op
    • Both
    • Neither

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree......for those who live in country areas or drive there for their work the country shops are brilliant. Good choice and good prices.

Oh dear.....the Co-op toilets. You just have to understand that they are cleaned before the store opens and not again until the next morning. If customers make a mess in the meantime unless a customer complains or a member of staff notices they just get left. And yes the drains are not that good.

I worked in both in my youth, although Somerfield was called Safeways at the time. The supervisors at the CO-OP were a nastier brand of boss, who taught me a valuable lesson: short people can be quite twisted.

Safeways had a maniacal manager, but the supervisors were alright. Most of the staff were in the 17-21 age group and we used to have quite a laugh, although I think that could be nostalgia creeping in. The staff canteen in Safeways was better than the COOPs (because it existed), although they let you smoke in the COOP staff room when I was there, which I liked at the time…

Ah, memories.

Guest Anonymous

funny points i can make - dont you think the people in sumerfeild are a lot beter looking than the co-op?

and although i do shop in the co-op do they ever clean the floor? it always seems to be in a state?

funny points i can make - dont you think the people in sumerfeild are a lot beter looking than the co-op?

and although i do shop in the co-op do they ever clean the floor? it always seems to be in a state?

They clean the floor in the coop most nights, but it's about 15 - 20 years old now and could do with being replaced methinks.

The summerfield staff are a lot younger in general and are easier on the eye than the battle axes at the coop...maybe.

Guest Anonymous

The best shop in Lerwick for groceries outside the supermarkets is the Spar shop in and around Ronald Street. The one at Lochside is rather bare, D&G Leslies is sparce in produce, and Timerlakes.....well, I've heard some stories which should not be repeated on here, in case someone tracks me down......

The spar shop is no longer a spar but it still has some very good bargains and a reasonable selection of goods. BTW it is in Thorfinn St.

Don Leslies has an interesting selection of odd things and some of his prices are the same or less than the supermarkets.

Lochside stores sits right between the supermarkets and is still trading which must say something.

The spar shop is no longer a spar but it still has some very good bargains and a reasonable selection of goods. BTW it is in Thorfinn St.

Don Leslies has an interesting selection of odd things and some of his prices are the same or less than the supermarkets.

Lochside stores sits right between the supermarkets and is still trading which must say something.

Du means da igloo? :wink:

Guest Anonymous
my mum works in the co-op and she's nice.

co-op all day breakfasts are grrrrrrrrrrrreat!

(no, not made of frosties) :roll:

thats not co-op, thats sumburgh hotel. they own the coffe shope.

thats amasing to hear the co-op cafe is run be the same people - you would not know that by the state of the 'food' and service in the airport cafe.

i would never eat anyting again in the airport after the last muck i got there. only my view ofcourse - anyone else got a view on it?

Guest Anonymous

Well I've never ventured further than a Sausage/Bacon Roll at Sumburgh, and they are decent enough.

Lochside Stores is the worst shop in town, it's in bad need of being closed and gutted. There simply isn't enough air flowing through the place, the area down by the freezers is stupidly hot regardless of the time of year.