Shetland Place names

Njugle

Re: Winyadepla - i seem tae mind at winyadepla alang we a couple o idder names in fetlar and mebbe elsewhaur ir towt tae be o pictish origin raeder as norn. I canna mind fir da life o me whaur i heard dis do, so dunna jump doon me trot if you ken better. :wink:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Spaekin a Fetlar an dir place nems, dey hae a mense a nems dere dat ir naethin laek da nems a places idder wyes trow Shetlin, an irna sed onythin laek dir spelled idder. Im tinkin o da laeks a Funzie, (he's caad 'Finnie' ur da laek, issn he?), an issn dere a Fealzie tuh? An nae doot dere mae be mair, I dunno ken Fetlar weel avaa.

Onyeen ken whit wye dis cam aboot? Wis it juist fuilishniss upoa da pairt a da een dat rot oot da first map, laek is we an antrin idder een heer an dere trow da laund, ur whit pirteeklir raisin wis ta mak things be dis wye?

• 1 year later...
Re Mavis Grind on maps - it seems to be 'Mavisgrind' on Thompson (1827) and Cary's Isles of Zetland (1789) but not mentioned on some of the earlier ones.

Well, Jakobsen mentions that it was 'only' Mavi(s) on earlier maps, 'Grind' meaning 'Gate' added later; hence the genetive-s 'Maevis Grind' (Gate of Maevis).

To put the whole spectrum into proper Norn spelling:

Brae = Breð-eð [:Brae-aeh:] 'Broad Ishtmus' from O.N. Breið eið.

Maevi(s) = Mæv-eð [:Maev-aeh:] 'Narrow Ishtmus' O.N. Mæf eið.

Maevis Grind = Mæv-eðs Grind, 'Gate of Narrow Ishtmus', O.N. Mæf eiðs Grind.

Northmavine = Norden Mæv-eð '(to the) North of Maevis' O.N. Fyrir norðan Mæf eið.

Using the letters ð (edh, which is silent) and å (as a short english o in 'lost') makes some place names more recognizable for nordic speakers.

F.x.: 'Brae' (Breðeð with silent ð) and 'Forewick' (Forvik), which in proper Norn spelling would be 'Får-vik' i.e. 'Sheep-Bay'.

Dunna kaen aboot 'lunga,' aless hit's da wird at means 'hedder'

I think 'Lunga' might mean 'Heather' ('Lyng' in Norse) in some cases.

... at da back o Ronas hill ...

BTW, Ronas Hill in Shetland Norn = 'Rønisfell'. O.N. Raunsfell ( In Blaeuw, Amsterdam 1646, written 'Renisfelt Hill', which proves the later conception 'Roeness Hill' to be wrong)

Røni = Stony or Rocky ridge; Fell=Mountain

Rønis-fell = Rocky Mountain, kind of like Colorado, aye? :wink:

^^ Spaekin a Fetlar an dir place nems, dey hae a mense a nems dere dat ir naethin laek da nems a places idder wyes trow Shetlin, an irna sed onythin laek dir spelled idder. Im tinkin o da laeks a Funzie, (he's caad 'Finnie' ur da laek, issn he?), an issn dere a Fealzie tuh? An nae doot dere mae be mair, I dunno ken Fetlar weel avaa.

Onyeen ken whit wye dis cam aboot? Wis it juist fuilishniss upoa da pairt a da een dat rot oot da first map, laek is we an antrin idder een heer an dere trow da laund, ur whit pirteeklir raisin wis ta mak things be dis wye?

The letter Z was widely used by early printers to denote the sound 'ya' or 'ye' as well as 'z'. It's there in names like Menzies (which has changed pronunciation over the years too). I'm not sure why it occurs in Fetlar, but the other very obvious example is Zetland, which was the printers' version of Hjaltland. It's not meant to be a Z at all. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I've read it somewhere).

The letter Z was widely used by early printers ...

No Malachy, it is / was not a problem of early printers.

It is / was in fact a problem of the Scottish handwriting as it was used in the Royal Scottish "Chancellory" to substitute the (original & old) Scottish letter "Yogh". There is a special website provided by the National Library of Scotland and dedicated to Scottish handwriting which explains the problems and features of early Scottish handwriting in official documents showing some nice examples & explaning this development.

Unfortunately I've lost that link but you should find it either on the NLS website or searching the SCRAN website ... :wink:

[edit]

... as for Ham* ...

I have no Shetland examples but on Orkney I was told that it might be either "home" or "harbour" ... what does make some sense in the way that a 'home' was probably built where a 'harbour' could be found ... that's to say, where I could land a boat. As far as place names are concerned it is something like a similar development of the meanings for uig / vik / wick: It is a kind of bay but in a special case it may be used for the settlement at the end of a bay, like Uig on Skye.

Ham

there are 2 Hams on Mousa, The Wast Ham, where the pier and shepherds hut is and the Aest Ham barely a couple of hunder yards away on the East side of Mousa.

Always taken them to be harbour, certainly the nearest things to Harbours on Mousa.

When the sea was too rough on the wast ham we would go around and land near Crussie Geo at thee Aest Ham - if you kent ta avoid the baa's.

• 2 weeks later...
ham - AN höfn, a harbour

(Ham)navoe- Harbour Bay

Come on, anyone fae Burra should surely ken dat!

I towt at Bay wis "Wick" as in da auld Norse "Vik". i.e. Lerik in auld norse is Leirvik= Muddy Bay.

If Hamnavoe wis tae be Harbour Bay wid hit no hae tae be caa'd Hamwick?

Does onyeen ken whit "Navoe" or maybe derived fae "Da Voe" means?