What's it like to live in Shetland?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come come you, the more the merrier. Especially if you are nearing retirement age. There are a few nut jobs up here though, as sheepshagger is demonstrating well. Don't worry though, the social services keep a close eye on them and they are very transparent given that the community is fairly small.

someones daughter gets their bra and Knickers stollen by some perv and you want to know if she's hot. and you call me a nut job makes me wonder what you think is sane and rational

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know what the present climate's like, but if you're not fussy there's usually labouring jobs going in some of the fish factories. I'm sure someone will correct me if this is no longer the case. I wouldn't recommend it as a career, but it might be okay for a stopgap job until something better comes along. As for accomodation, if you know roughly when you would like to go you could try sticking an ad in here

...and then there's also the welk ebb (picking winkles at low tide). :wink:

If you sit and wait for your "line of work" to come up, you could be waiting forever. Jobs come and go, alot don't get advertised, just word of mouth.

There is always work here - it may not be quite your "line of work", but you can always earn a living doing something while you wait. If you are nearer to your dream then it has more chance of becoming a reality and you can also see what the market is like and what is going on and where you see yourself in it.

I think it is the procrastinators who never get to Shetland!

Same with houses. The best ones never get put on the market - they are, again, sold through word of mouth.

They say up here (and please scuse my attempt at Shetland dialect) "I hear dee boy!" which basically means "yeah, yeah, whatever!". Lots of folk say they want to live here, it is their dream, blah, blah and very few actually get off their backsides and do it!

Fx

Guest posiedon
tis a challenge. I reckon it could be very handy to get a dirivng licence before I went also, what with the distances and all.

Handy? Essential...if you're a country dweller with a piss-poor bus service.

Absolutely! we only have one bus a week, Yes ONE