De populate Foula Now

Guest Anonymous

I imagine this thread could be deleted or at least moved from the "make Shetlink a better place" topic......or.........I could hijack it! :twisted:

Something I've always wondered; when I leave Shetlink I just close the window, but I usually forget to click the "log out" button.

When I'm gone does PoolHaddock still appear at the bottom of the page?

Aachh! I am a crap hijacker.....anyone else?

Bird Flu?

Fladdabister?

Snurt Collecting (could also include snurt sculpture)?

P.S. How come I can't edit my posts in this section?

Guest Anonymous

Perhaps there is victimisation of Foula here - what about Skerries and Fair Isles. But then.....these two islands have got something to offer. What has Foula offered our wider community?

:lol:

Perhaps there is victimisation of Foula here - what about Skerries and Fair Isles. But then.....these two islands have got something to offer. What has Foula offered our wider community?

:lol:

Foula Sheep, The Film "Edge Of The World", Muckle Cliffs?

Some of the most impressive cliffs and views in Shetland? (and Britain) :wink:

Oh yeah, right enough Kevin. Foula is the only place in Shetland where you still find nothing but pure bred Shetland Sheep.

Some fantastic geological sights

Good fishing

A large ship owned by the white star line (of titanic fame) sank aff Foula (better?) :wink:

Magnus

Heather berries

Guest Anonymous

Th Oceanic wasn't one of the Titanics sister ships, they were the Olympic and the Britannic, although they were all operated by the White Star line. 8O

In response to guest:

???????? :lol:

The major differences between Foula and the other isles is population and ability to easily and cheaply travel there (obviously not including Fair Isle). I can think of a few cases (off hand) where, fair enough, they were given subsidy from government bodies, but were then left without help or support to run the show themselves ie. things broke, they had no help, so had to fix it themselves. Luckily there were people on the isle who had the expertise to do this.

I think we should let a Foula person reply to these, so I'll rest my case for now.

Thanks fir pointing that oot aboot the Oceanic. I didna realise I had posted that, I'll joost change it! :wink: :oops:

Papa Stour? My daddy telt me that was a bad word! :(

After giving the original Foula thing a peerie bit more thought, I feel I should share my thoughts. Once upon a time, the waters of Foula boasted some of the best fishing and lobster grounds anywhere in Shetland. The Shetland fishermen took advantage of these and did very, very well, thus benefiting Shetland as a whole.

Now, if you look at Shetland from a strictly national perspective, it's eerily similar to that of Foula's situation. Shetland recieves subsidies from the government which someone in Glasgow, for example, may see as being a drain on government finances. However, if you were say that the oil surrounding Shetland belonged to us, we will have given BILLIONS over the years back to the government in the form of various oil taxes and so on. It's just a bigger version of the Foula fish.

I think when these people were born and brought up on the island it should be up to them whether they stay there or not... after all, how would you like it if you were forced out of your home and history? I tell d guest, du's a modern day John Walker! :roll:

Now, I think that's maybe a little more food for thought. (just couldn't let it lie!) :wink:

Why has no one mentioned the "other place". If anyone really wants to depopulate any of the Shetland Islands (or at least cut off all the services to them) would Papa Stour not be a better choice?.

Here here!!

At least Foula doesn`t have a Roll on Roll Off Ferry terminal. How can an Island with only a 1 mile stretch of road justify having one!!!

Advantage of staying in Foula:-

You get to lie in till 10 o`clock every morning without people saying - "Boy I geed past his hoose at a quarter tae ten an dir wisna a coortin open an not a licht tae be seen"

Because nae body else on da Isle is up!!!