The Queen's English

breeksy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems the Faeroese and Danish have already been there and done that, and it didn't work. Maybe Mrs Middle England should learn from the experiences of our European/Nordic neighbours.

The Faroese language was described as “a barbaric mountain dialect†by Danish Scholars. “Proper Danish†had to be taught in schools and preached in the Churches. Obviously God didn´t understand Faroese, because the priests spoke Danish. So strong was the Faroe islanders´ aversion against their own language, that when the Gospel of St. Matthew was first published in the “Faroese dialect†in 1823, it caused a rage in Faroe, that anyone could print the word of God in such a “corrupted low status dialectâ€; it was considered blasphemous. The Faroese rejected it, and kept their Danish bible for another 126 years, until a complete Faroese bible was published in 1949. By then, the Faroe islanders had learned that God understands Faroese just as well as Danish.

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=648&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

But Shetland children can all speak English, while many can barely speak Shetland dialect.

Throughout the world American English is now spoken by many more people than Queens English. I wonder how Mrs Middle England would feel if we were all told to speak American English so that the majority could understand us?

Tempted to merge this topic with another one that is kicking about somewhere but don't have the time nor the energy to do it at the moment.

I would like to hear this ladys comments should she visit a church in London and hear the sermon in German..

Well done to the Church that she visited. They have maybe managed to keep a few locals from hell and damnation.

It would of course be a terrible thing if she visited Spain and the church resident didn't 'talk' the Queen's English.

Snobby wooble.

Snobby wooble.

:o :shock:

I was at a local funeral a couple of years ago in which the minister, who had a very english accent, threw in dialect words all through the service.

I had to take a chunk out of me lip when he remarked that "(the deceased) liked nothing better than being out in his boat amongst the isles with the peerie tirricks and the peerie dunkers"

It was a well intentioned and better-than-many service on the whole, though.

Pooks - see my comment on the Madeleine thread (don’t ask - it was to do with Koy-thing) that I have spent over an hour this evening writing lengthy reply following private exchange with Mrs Middle England re her objection to a sermon in dialect. Apparently she really likes Shetland and lived here for three years but did not realise the offence her remarks might cause; in fact she intended them to ‘do good’, in terms of pointing out to people that it would be ‘good practice’ if they ‘were able to speak proper’. I did consider posting what I wrote to her but it does come on a bit strong (all very politely strong!) and furthermore gives away a fair bit about me and why I might feel qualified to have an opinion on the matter, something else she failed to do in her post. This also links in to Twerto’s remarks on the ‘Forums are great’ thread on which you have just posted! – interesting evening on Shetlink tonight but if I don’t go to bed I will never ever get up for work in the morning!

You mean that people that sit on Shetlink all night actually have employable jobs to go to? :wink:

I can understand where this conversation could easily be misunderstood but if she has lived in Shetland for three years then surely she would realise the importance that dialect has in Shetland?

To begin with I should probably state that I am neither a Christian nor a great supporter of the Royal family. That doesn't mean that I am not a great believer in family values. People are entitled to their beliefs and I have never stood in the way of that. I have had friends in the past from many different religious backgrounds (further reinforcing my feeling that there is no definite religion).

In a day and age where the church congregation seems to be diminishing I think she should be grateful of any church service that is preaching her faith whether it be read in 'The Queen's English', 'Irish', 'American', 'Latin' or 'Good auld turdlin' '.

Best of luck to her and I hope she finds her new home as accommodating as Shetland has been.

FilskaDaCat, I have just read through your post again and I hope that you pointed out to the Lady in question that 'to speak proper' may not always include her interpretation of 'speaking proper'. I am sure that there are many different (Christian) parts of the world that don't converse the same.

hit seems dis bloody wife still expects da rest o da planet ta spik da queens english whenever dir is a guffy present

The Methodist chapel I attended, where, when I visit, I am often asked to provide the music, has other English people among its congregation. Shetland is very cosmopolitan now and one never knows who might be attending a service. Perhaps the preacher on that occasion (a couple of years ago) did not choose to consider this point. It would have been, maybe, a little light relief for her to have used - dare I say it ? - 'Queen's English', do you think?

I hoop da christ shu disna retire here :wink: