What is Shetland missing?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of you ever feel you're missing out by not living in a city?

Nope, cities, even towns, to me are one stop short of prisons. The only thing I feel I'm missing out on is the access to more competitively priced supplies for inputs and broader more attractive markets for outputs.

Doesn't the remoteness get a bit much?

Yes, getting yourself of anything in/out of here is an endless hassle, and costs an arm and a leg and a kidney. If Shetland was a short distance offshore of the east of England, with a bridge, I think that's what would suit me best. Better weather, ease of access to main centres when required, but the ability to leave them behind for the backwoods whenever possible.

@EnglishinScotland

On the contrary, I'd say I'm missing out to some extent because I'm living in a city, although if I were ten or twenty years younger this wouldn't be the case.

@Baxter

I've got to disagree about the trees though. I think trees are always an asset, but I do miss being near the sea.

Yes, the city with all it's attractions can be nice for a short time (the novelty soon wears of), but I find I'm more active when I'm in Shetland (at least in the summer months).

[edit]Sorry, didn't mean to pluralize months[/edit] :P

Do any of you ever feel you're missing out by not living in a city?

I used to feel this daily.. Spent 3 years in Edinburgh and 2 in Inverness but as each year goes by.. I'm happier where I am, to the point I kinda begrudge having to go to Lerwick each day to work. The things I feel I miss from living in a city mean less and less to me as they did 10 or so years ago.

Doesn't the remoteness get a bit much?

It does from time to time. as Ghostrider states it would be nice to be closer to the mainland of Uk or Norway for that matter.. being able to just jump in the car and say right I'm off to London or Manchester or Edinburgh etc etc or jump on a plane and go to the south of France for £40 return for the weekend kinda thing would be a huge bonus, but then again if these things were available I'm not sure Shetland would be Shetland if that makes sense to anyone. That all said Shetland makes you appreciate the nice days even more and as far as I am concerned, no where beats Shetland on a lovely day.. even a stormy day for that matter.

One thing that seems to be missing up here is tradesmen ! there arent enough of them.

Been trying for months to find a plumber to take out a bath and install a shower but keep getting the same reply "Maybe in the new year" or "Our books are full with new builds so cant help you".

Also TV ariel engineers, I mean 6 months without terrestrial TV and no sausage available to fix the ariel is a bit much. Thank **** we have sky (but that doesnt reach the bedrooms).

It does from time to time. as Ghostrider states it would be nice to be closer to the mainland of Uk or Norway for that matter.. being able to just jump in the car and say right I'm off to London or Manchester or Edinburgh etc etc or jump on a plane and go to the south of France for £40 return for the weekend kinda thing would be a huge bonus, but then again if these things were available I'm not sure Shetland would be Shetland if that makes sense to anyone. That all said Shetland makes you appreciate the nice days even more and as far as I am concerned, no where beats Shetland on a lovely day.. even a stormy day for that matter.

The Channel Islands are an interesting possibility for living I think.

@Malcolm

There are many people in Shetland with the skills to do the jobs you require done. My father isn't a tradesman, but has never had to call out a joiner, electrician, plumber etc etc. Maybe on the odd occasion he would ask someone to do a 'homer'.

He learned most of what he knows about TV aerial engineering from our next door neighbour. I know there are a shortage of people working as tradesman, but would like to suggest to you asking your neighbours/friends :wink:

@Malcolm

There are many people in Shetland with the skills to do the jobs you require done. My father isn't a tradesman, but has never had to call out a joiner, electrician, plumber etc etc. Maybe on the odd occasion he would ask someone to do a 'homer'.

He learned most of what he knows about TV aerial engineering from our next door neighbour. I know there are a shortage of people working as tradesman, but would like to suggest to you asking your neighbours/friends :wink:

Ah but if only I could find them.

Oh and haven't really any friends here yet.

Well i wish Cunningsburgh had a pub becuase we have two churches that are very popular on a Sunday. We just need a nice pub to chill and relax becuase the Sandwick Social club is the nearest and it's grim! How often do they play Chesney Hawks, Jon Bon Jovi and Iron Maiden on the jukebox!!

A longer football season would be good indoor/outdoor. However, Shetland is a good place to live as long as you stay away from the S.S.C :P