Car parking

markj

I find it a bit weird that Mr. Moncrieff is celebrating this. After all, this trivial matter which should never have gone this far has cost him his marriage, just so that he could say 'I was right'.

I can fully understand why the lawyers and QC are drinking champagne.

Moral of the story......

Never allow your neighbours to park their car on your land for any amount of time.

Petty squabbles between neighbours do no one any good, but you can see where he was coming from without parking next to his house the value of the house would be seriously reduced. As for the neighbours well they are now having to sell up a nice house in a lovely part of Shetland. before buying though I would want to know exactly what access over the fathers land might entail

In the words of Jack Nicholson just before the alien wasted him "why cant we all just get along" :lol:

Is there not something far wrong with the legal system when private individuals have to pay (in this case a reported third of a million quid!) to establish what the law of the land is?

Surely if case law needs to be established, it should be done by Government. If they had written the laws unambiguously in the first place (although I appreciate there will always be 'unforseen' situations) there would be no need to have to establish what the legal situation is.

Very few people could afford to go all the way with things like this.

Is there not something far wrong with the legal system when private individuals have to pay (in this case a reported third of a million quid!) to establish what the law of the land is?

Surely if case law needs to be established, it should be done by Government. If they had written the laws unambiguously in the first place (although I appreciate there will always be 'unforseen' situations) there would be no need to have to establish what the legal situation is.

Very few people could afford to go all the way with things like this.

Yeah, it's a very sad case all round. Not speaking from a position of authority here, but I'd imagine that the Jamiesons' lawyer is going to have said something along the lines of "Don't worry, there's no precedent for this sort of thing. You're completely in the right here with hundreds of years of Scottish Law behind you. Just keep going, you'll be proved right in the end." I can hardly think that he was telling them to pull out of the case and they were ignoring his advice.

I'm sure neither party would have arrived here given the glorious gift of hindsight. The whole thing is deeply regrettable and, hopefully, might serve as a warning to others.

On a related note, I believe that the post above showing the Storehouse for sale must be the current owners as I'm pretty sure that the Jamiesons sold it a couple of years ago. Perhaps the new owners are slightly wary of their neighbour and what he may legally impose on them.

On a related note, I believe that the post above showing the Storehouse for sale must be the current owners as I'm pretty sure that the Jamiesons sold it a couple of years ago. Perhaps the new owners are slightly wary of their neighbour and what he may legally impose on them.

They had better check that he has not left his jacket hanging up in their porch. :wink: