Your view of the English

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'differences' of the locals in Shetland is no different to the behaviour of any English or Scottish village or small town. The locals are a clannish bunch from one end of this sceptered isle to the other. In Shetland it just happens that nearly everyone a local meets is related to them by blood or marriage (often going back generations), and this makes for a family feel to the island (not so good when bad behaviour is reported back to parents! ). I can't comment on Scotland but should imagine that a similar thread runs through it. I know from personal experience that the same applies to England, there they say you have to live in a village for 25 years to stop being a stranger :lol:

English are joost normal people.

But it is fun to have a bit of inter-nation rivarly

You don't think they are more ill-mannered than Scots?

Not more ill mannered than Scots but maybe more ill mannered than most Shetlanders I have met.

Some English are more ill-mannered than some Scots; this much is true. But I've met some very rude Scots, and some very polite English folks.

Bear in mind that manners, being a social thing, are very dependent on the culture you come from. As I learned last night, the Norwegians have no word for 'please', for example. This doesn't make them a rude people.

The French are considered to a generally rude nation by the British, but they just have different conventions to which they adhere. I'm sure they could consider us rude since we don't have their equivalent of the context sensitive pronouns 'tu' and 'vous'; they consider these necessary for correct formal speaking.