Your view of the English

I'm sure they could consider us rude since we don't have their equivalent of the context sensitive pronouns 'tu' and 'vous'; they consider these necessary for correct formal speaking.

Don't we?

In traditional Shetland, the word 'please' is rarely used either, but that doesn't mean that Shetlanders are impolite. The connotation is (perhaps I should say 'was') expressed by tenses. So 'Please help me to round up the sheep tomorrow' might be something like 'Du laekly widna a come an helpit me tae a caad da crui da morn.'

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't we?

Not as far as I'm aware.

If I was talking to the Queen, I would still have to use 'you' to refer to her, unless I was going to ask in the 3rd-person or something equally cumbersome.

In traditional Shetland, the word 'please' is rarely used either

Precisely. Which makes the evaluation of rudeness very subjective when one is comparing cultures, as EnglishinScotland is doing.

Don't we?

Not as far as I'm aware.

But but but … we have ‘du’ and ‘you’! – and with a fair degree of acquaintance with French language and culture, I have always understood the application of these to be broadly similar to that of 'tu' and 'vous'. Many years ago my first husband, an Englishman, took it up on himself to address one of my (Shetland) uncles as ’du’ without having been so invited. A very frosty silence ensued.

With regard to 'please', am i right in remembering that Norway has no word for 'please'? Somewhere i've been had this to be the case anyway, bit of a shock but once you understand it's fine. I tend to agree with Depooperit about the "Du widna...., wid du?" alternative. :wink:

To be as blunt as EnglishinScotland asked, i would have to say that in most or all countries i have visited the English have a bad reputation, and to assert yourself as Scottish , in the absence of knowledge of Shetland, is usually favourable to "British" in terms of response. My own negative experience of the English abroad has usually involved mockneys, wearing rugby/football shirts usually drunk, travelling in packs, and flouting any rules or decorum befitting their location. It is they who seem to propagate the negative portrayal. A bit like Texans. :wink:

got this on sunday fae a scotsman wha got it fae a welshman

whats red white and blue and goes BEEEP BEEP BEEP - the England

open top bus going back into the garage

what goes SPLASH SPLASH GLOOP GLOOP GLOOP - Johnny Wilkonson finding

out he can't walk on water

oh shame I am so upset that I won't be able to hear how good these chaps are EVERY WEEKEND FOR THE NEXT FOUR 'KIN YEARS.

The only way sir Johnny is going to rise is when they knight a condom

machine.

I've always wondered about the whole 'England expects' garbage that fills the media whenever there is a sportsperson or team with a chance of winning. Why is it never enough for people just to do their best and if they win - bonus. The pressure putting upon these sports people must be very distracting. In Scotland the supporters seem to actually 'support' more than the English who pressurise...

My own negative experience of the English abroad has usually involved mockneys, wearing rugby/football shirts usually drunk, travelling in packs, and flouting any rules or decorum befitting their location. It is they who seem to propagate the negative portrayal. A bit like Texans. :wink:

This is an unfortunate truth. The ex-pats from England who live here cringe (as do I) when they meet one of these Football/Rugby/Stag type do's. It's usually a case of avoiding eye contact and switching to the Lithuanian language until they've passed. It's amazing the obscenities you hear when they think you don't understand them.

It's unfortunate for England that this tiny minority manages to give the rest of the nation a bad reputation, but people ought to see beyond this.

@fjool - it depends on who you mean by 'we'. We in Shetland do have a distinction between the familiar pronoun 'du' and the formal/plural pronoun 'you'.

@njuggle - my acquaintance with the Nordic tongues is even less now than it used to be, but I if I was trying to speak Swedish I would say 'tack' (Norwegian 'takk' = thanks) at the end of the request, which would have the same meaning as 'please' in English. If this is correct - I was waiting for one of the many Scandinavians on this list to answer before I did - it just means that they use the same word for 'thanks' and 'please'.

Okay, I admit my interest. I was born in Brighton, darn nearly as unScottish / unShetland as you can get. Oh, and I usually claim to be British, just because it feels better than English, so that point is true too.

I'd love to say that we English were the salt of the earth, etc., etc., but (as several posts above mention) our usual reputation just about anywhere is, well, somewhere around the other end of the scale. Equally, most of us, the ones who don't spend our time grossing out other peoples in their own countries, are, I find, mostly okay, like most people. Unfortunately, it's the ones who do misbehave who get remembered and used as examples, and the rest of us get tarred with the same brush.

Among the English, I reckon it's more of a generational thing, and sadly it seems to be the children of my own generation (and their children) who have most lost respect for others. I wish I knew what the solution was, but every time I think about it I end up sounding like my parents' generation.

Just treat me as another person, rather than as "an Englishman". Please? :)

Also

Many years ago my first husband, an Englishman, took it up on himself to address one of my (Shetland) uncles as ’du’ without having been so invited. A very frosty silence ensued.

Or as they say in Yorkshire, "Don't tha thee tha those as doesna thee tha thee"

The English can do it too. :)

Among the English, I reckon it's more of a generational thing, and sadly it seems to be the children of my own generation (and their children) who have most lost respect for others. I wish I knew what the solution was, but every time I think about it I end up sounding like my parents' generation.

You think the culture of respect has gone and hasn't yet in Scotland?