@njuggle - my acquaintance with the Nordic tongues is even less now than it used to be, but I if I was trying to speak Swedish I would say 'tack' (Norwegian 'takk' = thanks) at the end of the request, which would have the same meaning as 'please' in English. If this is correct - I was waiting for one of the many Scandinavians on this list to answer before I did - it just means that they use the same word for 'thanks' and 'please'.

That is not correct, in Norwegian we do not have the equivalent of "Please" but something we would say in a sentence is;" kan du vær så snill å gi meg ..."

Which means:

"Can you be so kind to give me..."

"Takk" is the equivalent of Shetland's "Ta" or just thanks.

A very polite thank you is to say;" Tusen takk" which means "a thousand thanks" - when you are very grateful for either something given to you or to hospitality given to you, and it is not a "please".

Best regards from a Norwegian using Twertos log in.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or as they say in Yorkshire, "Don't tha thee tha those as doesna thee tha thee."

When attempting for the first time to explain the function of the ‘tu / vous’ thing to junior classes, I always used to try to elicit an answer involving thee / thou / thine and then ask them in which well-known TV programme, set in a very particular part of Britain, this distinction might still be heard. But I have given up – no-one has read the bible these days ever, and if LotSW is still on the telly (?) then kids don’t watch it. Then I would go on to ‘And where I come from…’ but I don’t do that either as they just all yawn. :(

Ah - right - um - should I call you 'pseudo Twerto'? So in fact the absence of the word 'please' just means that the politeness is expressed another way in Norwegian - just as in traditional Shaetlan. In fact, the word 'please' is just a contraction of 'if you please' - similar to French.

Similarly, Gaelic doesn't have words for 'yes' and 'no' - but that doesn't mean they can't agree or disagree with you!