The Rangers & Celtic thread.

JAStewart

Some of the most competative and enjoyable games to watch were when there was a more equitable division of the funds wether it be TV money or gate receipts etc. I would not argue that the TV companies are keen to see the number of old firm derbies stay the same, but for the long term competativness of Scottish football it needs to change.

A 16 team league would be better play each other twice with a winter break. Playoffs for promotion and relegation.

For one team or the two acting in conjunction to be able to veto what the majority wish to move towards is no way to run a show. You can harldy say the current financial model is working? Spend stupidly and try and compete with the top two, one of whom is now in a serious financial position themselves. Or try and live within a budget reduce debt and be unable to break the on pitch monoply of the top two.

Some teams are doing ok but the ability to keep up that pressure over more than one season is rare, and that ends in the product that many are deciding not to go an spend their Saturday afternoons watching anymore.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other side of the same problem is the fact that to compete on an international stage scottish teams like rangers have to spend big, bigger than they can ultimately afford. until fifa tightens up the rules world wide then there will always be the have and the have nots.

The same way there is a disparity of finance between the old firm and the rest of the league there is huge disparity of finance between virtually any other european team and the old firm.

Heck the teams that drop out the english premiership get more for being relegated than rangers would earn even if they went all the way to the champions league final.

fact is lifes not fair and neither are the rules of fifa and eufa

The other side of the same problem is the fact that to compete on an international stage scottish teams like rangers have to spend big, bigger than they can ultimately afford. until fifa tightens up the rules world wide then there will always be the have and the have nots.

I doubt we'll ever see a return to the days when Scottish teams in europe got reasonably far with 11 Scots on the pitch. UEFA intoducing the financial fair play rules will level the playing field somewhat limiting what some billionaire can achieve by throwing money at the squad but what really needs to happen is clubs like Rangers need to produce talent and not squander money they don't have buying someone who a. doesn't care particularly about the club and b. will piss off at the first wave from the premiership and c. isn't maybe all that much better than what is already at the club.

The same way there is a disparity of finance between the old firm and the rest of the league there is huge disparity of finance between virtually any other european team and the old firm.

Two wrongs don't make a right though. They may well be the highest supported clubs but that doesn't mean they should have the ability to control the destiny of ten other clubs. If we're being honest other than the odd decent UEFA cup run the old firm have absolutely zero chance of winning the champions league, it's more about the money generated than the football it brings to the country.

I hope whoever buys the club has the balls to put faith in the academy players and build a team from it, they probably won't because supporters won't wait for success and even when they have it they become complacent when it isn't continual like the farcical situation with Gordon Strachan at Celtic.

I think rangers showed that was what they wanted when they invested so much money in murray park and the accademy. But these things take time. The voting system in the spl is like you say a farce.

Interestingly David Murray told a journalist that Murray Park should never have been built, it was a drain on resources and had been the cause of a lot of Rangers financial problems, it was the insistance of Advokat that it was built.

I managed to get a transcript of a Celtic F.C board meeting from May 2011.

It starts out with a lot of complaining about someone they refer to as "them" winning the league for a third consecutive time, I can only presume they mean Rangers.

Sir John Reid: Boys we need to come up with a plan to stop them winning another league next year.

Peter Lawwell: They've no got a pot to pish in they'll never manage another league win again next year.

Sir John: They didn't have a pot to pish in this year either and ginge managed to screw it up at Caley, we can't take that kind of risk again.

Dermot Desmond: So what you suggesting, get rid of ginge?.

Sir John: No lets get rid of Douglas Bader and once he's gone he'll not be able to prop up the losses.

Dermot: You mean kill him.

Sir John: No you fool I mean buy the club off him.

Lawwell: You want to buy.....them off.......him.

Sir John: You can tell you boys have never been in government, no we get someone to pretend he's going to buy them. I've got one of my golf partners lined up, I'll give him a shout (walks to door) Ho Craig son come away in.

Craig Whyte: Hello

Lawwell: So this boy here is going to buy the club.

Whyte: Eh no I'll get the club to borrow the money to buy itself from itself.

Desmond: Eh

Whyte: Aye I'll mortgage off assets I don't own yet to fund purchase of a club I don't own yet.

Lawwell: Is that even legal?.

Whyte: Well if they're as stupid to go for it then I can't see how its illegal.

Martin Bain smelled a rat and nobody would listen to him.

a least 2 bad refereeing decisions in yesterdays game but not one word of complaint from lennon, I have to say the bhoy has maybe learnt to keep his mouth shut.

Oh that's not a pig flying by the window the decisions went celtics way, a stonewall penalty right in front of the ref and a free kick that would of prevented the second goal. Oh how different the result would be if the ref had only got it right.

Maybe the saints should be shouting the odds like lennon usually does.

just thought a bit of consistency would be nice and after watching the highlights it was 3 decisions that totally changed the shape of the game.

So next time lennon and the celtic support are bleating about bad refereeing just remember it usually goes their way.

still can't suffer the man

You maybe can't stand the man, you've obviously never met him, everyone I know, including Rangers fans have been charmed and impressed with Lennon, he is a true gentleman, and very generous with his time for those in need of help or charity.Everytime I have met him he as gone out of his way to come and talk to all the fans from Shetland. He did this even when he first came back to Celtic on Gordon Strachans coaching staff.

I notice several managers slagging refs this week, does Dratys hate them all, or is he just a sectarian bigot?

just thought a bit of consistency would be nice and after watching the highlights it was 3 decisions that totally changed the shape of the game.

So next time lennon and the celtic support are bleating about bad refereeing just remember it usually goes their way.

still can't suffer the man

As a Rangers supporter who is not interested in the bigotry, your posts on here are embarrassing and it's people like you who blacken the name of the club. Please stop your messages of hate as I'm sick of it.