The Rangers & Celtic thread.

JAStewart

VAn Bronckhorst, fair enough

but Reyna wis a bit of a bit part player at man city (when they wirna really that good)

Tugay at Blackburn is anither one thats done good as well a obviously Gattuso (who i forgot boot earlier on)

But remember that reyna and Tugay havna been playin in europe we these teams, which hey would have done with rangers.

I still think that the majority o OF players aren't good enough to fulfil ppositions in the top half of the Premiership!! Take Blackburn for example, how many OF players would start for them every week??

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would rangers and celtic really be good enough to get into the to half of the premiership and challenge for european football???

Kenny Miller went from Celtic (one of Celtics best strikers at the time) to Derby (bottom of the Premiership)

Rangers strongly linked to Marcus Bent (Wigan, low Premiership)

Daniel Cousin (rangers best striker) basically signed for Fulham (2nd bottom of Premiership)

Roy Carroll, to Derby

Celtic sign Ben Hutchison ( Middlesbrough, lower Premiership, reserve)

Celtic sign Samaras ( Couldn't get into the man city squad, and was further down the pecking order than dus such as Vassell and Mpenza)

Rangers signing DaMArcus Beasley (he's just terrible)

If Hinkel and Donati were that good then they wouldn't be playing in Scottish Football

Rangers signed Amdy Faye

Barry Ferguson couldn't hack life at Blackburn

:twisted: :evil:

am sure there wll be more if ya wanted!

Before you say it i am remembering Alan Hutton, but he's the only one i can think of that has left for a successful club, and he's not even been there a month

Would rangers and celtic really be good enough to get into the to half of the premiership and challenge for european football???
With the money available from Sky there's no reason why not. Both Celtic and Rangers have punched above their weight in Europe in recent years without the multi-millions that the EPL enjoy.

arteta is another player who has left SPL and is awesome player now

larsson when he finally went to the mancs

whenever celtic have played english opposition in europe they have held their own no bother. in the year celtic reached uefa cup final then blackburn and liverpool were dispatched on route.

last season in champions league celtic only lost 3-2 at old trafford and beat them 1-0 at home so celtic overall 3-3 and celtic win on away goals :wink:

arteta is another player who has left SPL and is awesome player now

larsson when he finally went to the mancs

whenever celtic have played english opposition in europe they have held their own no bother. in the year celtic reached uefa cup final then blackburn and liverpool were dispatched on route.

last season in champions league celtic only lost 3-2 at old trafford and beat them 1-0 at home so celtic overall 3-3 and celtic win on away goals :wink:

Help me out here - are you saying Larsson only became an awesome player when he went to Manc Utd...???

Trust me on this one - Barcelona aren't in the habit of signing non-awesome players from the SPL.

I'm assuming it was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

dB, I think he means the actual number of fans traveling would be poor.

That's what I thought. I'm just wondering what evidence he has for making such a statement.

I know folk could argue that with the OF playing against bigger teams (Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool) they would draw a larger away support. But imagine Celtic away to Pompey, as far South as you can go. Hardly anyone would go, and you know that.

The OF can't even fill 2 stands against Kilmarnock, a team on their own doorstep, never mind going to fulham or west ham, etc.

I know folk could argue that with the OF playing against bigger teams (Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool) they would draw a larger away support. But imagine Celtic away to Pompey, as far South as you can go. Hardly anyone would go, and you know that.

The OF can't even fill 2 stands against Kilmarnock, a team on their own doorstep, never mind going to fulham or west ham, etc.

They have quite a big following in England. Anyway some of the clubs in the English Premiership have pretty appauling away supports themselves. But it's not about fans going to games these days, I would doubt Celtic & Rangers really care for them anymore. It's about the armchair fans!!

Why all this hostility towards the old firm. No one will know for certain until it happens. Celtic took 80,000 to Seville,have heavilly out numbered English premiership teams support on their home patches in "Friendly" games season after season.

They are regularly invited south to exploit their MASSIVE support in Testimonial games and have even out numbered the Manchester United support at Old Trafford.

dB, I think he means the actual number of fans traveling would be poor.

That's what I thought. I'm just wondering what evidence he has for making such a statement.

Hardly anyone would go, and you know that.
Sorry, mate, but I DON'T know that, and neither do you. It may be your opinion, which you're perfectly entitled to hold and express. Don't try and dress it up as a fact when the records show that Celtic have had a magnificent travelling support for many years.

Testimonials and European ties have seen the Celtic support turn out in their 10's of thousands earning praise from mostly everywhere they go. Villareal, Seville and Barcelona are just three of the Spanish towns who would welcome Celtic back at any time.

Furthermore, Celtic have many Supporter's Clubs south of the border with thousands of members. Do you know for a FACT that they won't turn up at places like Portsmouth..??

Finally, after watching Kilmarnock yesterday, I wouldn't even open my curtains to watch them play on my back green.

What about the 10,000+ support who regularly travel in Euro ties. Damn sight further that Portsmouth. It is not so long ago Celtic filled QPR for a friendly and Eidur Gudjonsen was quoted in the Sunday papers marvelling about Celtic filling Boltons ground.

Again, euro ties are much more lucrative. I'm not saying that the fans wouldn't travel, its just something to be cautious about.