The Rangers & Celtic thread.

JAStewart

T'other half as bad as the Huns...http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=29314&st=180&start=180...turning the Phil O'Donnell so-called tribute game into (a) a title-winners party, (B) a Tommy Burns tribute and © a Larsson w**k-fest.

Sorry mods - some naughty words in that Motherwell FC link. Can't blame 'em though.

I cannot believe what I`m reading here, I agree the League Trophy maybe shouldn`t have been paraded around Parkhead today but I hope the decison was made after consulting Phil O`Donnells family.

This is the 1st game since the death of Tommy Burns to be played at Parkhead and of course the Celtic Fans will be paying respect to a man who did so much for the club.

60,000 fans were at the game today not because of a title winning party, Tommy Burns, or a Henrik Larsson w**k fest but to remember the life of a great man Phil O`Donnell. This game was organised months ago long before the tragic death of Tommy or winning the title.

Please think before you come on here and make such offensive and stupid comments

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but i`m sure the decison was made after consulting Phil O`Donnells family.

Please think before you come on here and make such offensive and stupid comments

Ahem. Well, you don't exactly know for sure, so maybe you should think before you post too!

T'other half as bad as the Huns...http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=29314&st=180&start=180...turning the Phil O'Donnell so-called tribute game into (a) a title-winners party, (B) a Tommy Burns tribute and © a Larsson w**k-fest.

Sorry mods - some naughty words in that Motherwell FC link. Can't blame 'em though.

I cannot believe what I`m reading here, I agree the League Trophy maybe shouldn`t have been paraded around Parkhead today but I hope the decison was made after consulting Phil O`Donnells family.

This is the 1st game since the death of Tommy Burns to be played at Parkhead and of course the Celtic Fans will be paying respect to a man who did so much for the club.

60,000 fans were at the game today not because of a title winning party, Tommy Burns, or a Henrik Larsson w**k fest but to remember the life of a great man Phil O`Donnell. This game was organised months ago long before the tragic death of Tommy or winning the title.

Fair point JASTEWART and I have changed it.

You only think the trophy maybe shouldn't have been paraded around Parkhead?? Give me strength. FFS PO'D died in a match trying to win that very same trophy - yet you don't see anything crass or insensitive about it being paraded - I'd guess - to much acclaim?

You're right - the game was organised months ago. And just how many of the professional hand-wringers would've been there had it not been for TB's untimely death or a title to celebrate?

Dammit you had two weeks off after P O'D's death yet managed a title-clinching game and - I'm led to believe - plenty of celebrating a mere two days after TB's funeral. And don't try and tell me Phil O'Donnell was more of a Celtic man than Tommy Burns.

Have you read the comments of the Motherwell fans in the link I provided?

Tha might open your eyes to how folk who felt a lot closer to O'Donnell than I are really feeling about the whole charade.

The sheer hypocrisy stinks and both halves of the Old Firm reek of it.

There's only one thing offensive about this - the attitude of Celtic and their despicable fans.

I think there’s been so much problems with Rangers recently that a lot of you think you should even things up by having a pop at Celtic. However this is really the wrong target for that.

Phil O’Donnell played for Celtic for five years. He has a Celtic background - coming from a Celtic supporting family - and had close relationships with a number of the current Celtic staff.

He was Tommy Burn’s first signing and only left through problems with Fergus McCann – the same reason TB left!

Tommy paid him this tribute;

Burns told the Scottish Sun: "I paid almost £2million to make Phil my first signing as Celtic manager and I didn't have a problem with the fee.

"All I could see was a special player and a special human being. He was exactly the kind I wanted at Celtic.

"I thought he was the outstanding young talent in the country.

"It was a record amount of money for Celtic to pay but I just felt he was worth it.

"Sadly, injuries blighted his career and if it hadn't been for them then I'm sure he would have had a fantastic career.

"But he still played on until he was 35 and, right to the end, Phil was an absolute credit to himself and his family."

Tommy and Phil would both be shaking their head ruefully at some of the previous comments on this thread.

All proceeds from today’s game were shared between the Phil O’Donnell trust and other charitable organisations. Celtic provided the stadium and the opposition as a fitting tribute.

Remember as well that all tickets were sold out before Tommy died and before winning the title. Therefore I think it’s difficult to criticise the motives of the fans for turning up.

Fans are spontaneous and what do people expect? – Sorry no celebrating, only sombre, respectful songs today please – I don’t think so. I think Phil’s memory and philosophy were well served by the party atmosphere – you have to remember that all his family are Celtic supporters.

Phil would have been proud that Tommy Burns was commemorated at his tribute match – off course he would have wanted that if he could have forecast the circumstances.

To try and say Celtic have not been respectful enough to Phil O’Donnell given the above is the weakest attack seen on the club since Sebo played against us!

Well done Ladyfootballer. At last a voice of reason and it took a woman to do it.

Marooned in Maywick you are an embarrasment to all supporters of Scottish football. As a Hearts supporter myself I find your reasoning petty, small minded and pathetic! Hearts are by no means whiter than white and regularly sing Rangers versions of Protestant Irish songs. I know I've witnessed it myself. People in glass houses springs to mind. Your constant rants agaist the old firm is bordering on an obsession.

The score was 5-1 to Celtic but they were considerably younger than the Motherwell legends so kind of expected. David Clarkson, who is Phil O'Donnells nephew, wore the number 10 shirt and scored for Motherwell so that got a big cheer.

Celtic played the highlights of the Motherwell cup final on the big screens before the match started. This seemed a nice touch which was appreciated by the Motherwell fans as they arrived.

Both teams did a lap of honour at the end and were applauded by the two sets of supporters.

Contrary to some of the guff on here the trophy wasn't "paraded". It was announced several times that the trophy would be taken onto the park after the game had finished so that anyone that didn't want to hang around could leave - I guess.

Steven McManus took it to the centre circle about 20 mins after the game ended. He spoke about Phil's family for five minutes then it went back inside.

I thought this was right balance - acknowledge the winning of the league but keep it low key because of the occasion.

I don't really know what else could have been done. Imagine if Motherwell had just won the Scottish cup (if they had been in the final) the day before. I think they would have taken that trophy to the game and there wouldn't have been much complaint if they'd shown it to their fans.

I don't think it was a big deal and it just seems to be a few agitators, trying to stir up bother where there is none, who are making anything of it.

Well done Ladyfootballer. At last a voice of reason and it took a woman to do it.

I'm sorry. I've really tried to work out what one's gender has to do with this but can't. Would you be so kind as to enlighten me?

Marooned in Maywick you are an embarrasment to all supporters of Scottish football.

So...you're claiming to be the spokesperson for all supporters of Scottish football now? Get over yourself, dearie. 99.99999% of Scottish football fans, players, officials don't even know I exist. I'm one user on a fairly moderately used non-Scottish-football-specific internet forum

I think if you bothered to click on link to the Motherwell fans' forum you'd find plenty of people on there who were a lot more disgusted than I. Or are they an embarrassment to Scottish football as well?

As a Hearts supporter myself
you hide it well
I find your reasoning petty, small minded and pathetic!
That's your prerogative. Fora are all about opinions. I find your arguments somewhat naive.

Hearts are by no means whiter than white and regularly sing Rangers versions of Protestant Irish songs. I know I've witnessed it myself.
I've can't recall when I've ever tried to claim any sort of purity on the Hearts support. All supports have their undesirable element. I'm curious to know when you thought you heard these Hearts supporters singing 'Rangers versions of Protestant Irish songs'. Or indeed what songs they were.

People in glass houses springs to mind. Your constant rants agaist the old firm is bordering on an obsession.

Thank you for your concern - if I find it affecting my life I'll seek appropriate professional help.

Phil O'Donnell was a Celtic fan but that's not the point. The trophy wasn't paraded. It was brought out to the centre circle 20 mins after the end of the game and McManus made a further tribute to Phil and also dedicated the title to TB. Then they left. No parade, no players, no celebrations.

The occasion was about the two clubs he played most football for commemarating his death by making a load of money for charity. There was plenty of Motherwell touches like the ballboys and mascots all being maroon and amber etc. Phil O'Donnell videos at half time, Motherwell videos before the game. You also have to keep in mind that he was a Celt as well. I'd be interested to hear how MIM thinks it could have been done differently given the circumstances.

MIM has been happily selectively linking the most offensive posts on Motherwell fans forums - mostly from people who weren't at the game. The majority of posts I can find from Motherwell fans who actually attended are positive about it. The following is typical ;

(welldel @ May 26 2008, 10:17 AM)

For what it is worth

I really enjoyed the game yesterday.

It was a fitting tribute to Uncle Phil organised by Celtic at Celtic Park in front of a predominately Celtic support. That said the Well fans who did attend were made most welcome both inside and outside the ground.

The Celtic support were obviously going to celebrate winning the league, pay tribute to Tommy Burns and poke fun at Rangers. No surprises there and I was not offended by any of it. If the proverbial boot was on the other foot we would have acted similarly.

The reaction to Larsson was to be expected, to draw parallels, if Faddy had been playing at Fir Park infront of a capacity Well crowd, he would have received similar adulation.

The tributes to Tommy Burns were fitting and well deserved. It would have been wrong not to acknowledge his passing at the game. Collectively as a support we should appreciate that more than any other supporters.

As for the songs mocking Rangers and Celebrating winning the league, big deal. I refuse to be offended on behalf of Rangers. We weren't subjected to the trophy being paraded, it was paraded after the game had finished, allowing us time to leave the ground.

Well done Celtic and the Well fans who did attend.

I think some of our support have spent to much time searching for reasons to be offended by all of this.

Well said

The point i tried to make was that all the posts on here from well fans that attended has shown that it was not a celtic event as suggested by a select few who have not attended but have been nothing but critical of how yesterdays event was handled.

If MIM and a small minority of other extremist fans want to get upset, fair enough - there's always a few.

When we're on the subject I noticed that Hearts posted an official statement on their website on Friday stating that they were trying to poach the Motherwell management team. Now some people might have thought it would have been a little bit more respectful to wait two days until after the tribute game before doing that. But hey, I'm just a "despicable" Celtic fan so probably have no business even suggesting such a thing.

You only think the trophy maybe shouldn't have been paraded around Parkhead?? Give me strength. FFS PO'D died in a match trying to win that very same trophy - yet you don't see anything crass or insensitive about it being paraded - I'd guess - to much acclaim?

You're right - the game was organised months ago. And just how many of the professional hand-wringers would've been there had it not been for TB's untimely death or a title to celebrate?

Dammit you had two weeks off after P O'D's death yet managed a title-clinching game and - I'm led to believe - plenty of celebrating a mere two days after TB's funeral. And don't try and tell me Phil O'Donnell was more of a Celtic man than Tommy Burns.

Have you read the comments of the Motherwell fans in the link I provided?

Tha might open your eyes to how folk who felt a lot closer to O'Donnell than I are really feeling about the whole charade.

The sheer hypocrisy stinks and both halves of the Old Firm reek of it.

There's only one thing offensive about this - the attitude of Celtic and their despicable fans.

Im disgusted and sickened by what you are saying on here.

You are obviously trying to make out that the Celtic Players, Management, Directors etc were going around the stadium parading the trophy to the fans, waving scarves, banners, flags whilst singing "We Are The Champions" if that was the case then yes that would have been crass an insensitive but as Ladyfootballer says this was not the case.

The game was organised months ago as i`ve said and it was also announced at the time or shortly afterwards that the Celtic Title winning team of 98 and Motherwell`s Scottish Cup winning side of 91 would play each other which as i`m sure you are aware was long before the untimely death of Tommy Burns.

Henrik Larsson was asked to come out of international retirement for the Euro 2008 Championship`s, he said yes but made it quite clear that he couldn`t join up with the squad until after yesterday`s game.

If you honestly think that some of the players only turned up yesterday because Celtic won the title on Thursday then you are simply deluded.

Every game should have been cancelled after Phil`s death and the SPL were an embarrassment for not doing so especially the Dundee UTD game for obvious reasons. Motherwell asked for the game against Celtic to be postponed as they were simply not ready to even think about playing Football after the tragic circumstances.

You have to remember Phil O`Donnell died whilst playing Football, a sudden and tragic death which shocked World Football.

Tommy Burns died after a long battle with Cancer and i`m sure the last thing Tommy would have wanted was for Thursday`s games to be cancelled and for Celtic not to celebrate winning the Title in my opinion it was the best tribute the Celtic team could give the man who did so much for the club.

I`am a Celtic fan and yes some fans are despicable and embarrassing but that is not every fan and I take great offence in what you say. I know plenty of Rangers` fans who are genuine decent fans, same goes for Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee UTD etc unfortuneatly you fall in the despicable fan category and I hope I never have the pleasure in meeting you.