The Rangers & Celtic thread.

JAStewart

Also, great to see the Rangers fans clapping throughout the minute applause, everyone one of them were on there feet

Absolutely not the case - A significant number of Rangers fans did not only refuse to join in with the minute's applause (as is their right), but they actively turned their back to the pitch until it was over. Mind-boggling.

The Rangers support belting out "Rule Brittannia" towards the end of the match was just sad. What a state Scottish football is in.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100 per cent Spencey7. Not only has our reputation south of the border been tarnished with the state of many of our pitches, but the Rangers fans have gone and removed any credibility we had left.

I found it a bit rich the authorities warning the Zenit fans before the UEFA cup final over their song selections. Rangers, on the other hand, seem to continually get away with singing controversial and irrelevant chants with no action from the Scottish Football Association. It's high time the SFA was shook up in order to restore some pride back to our domestic league.

Things look even worse now that Kenny Clark, arguably our best referree, is hanging up his boots. Furthermore, David Begg is threatening to retire from Radio Scotland which I would be absolutely gutted about. His commentary can make even a St Mirren v Gretna match sound exciting.

The Rangers fans only sing these songs cos they ken it p*sses you guys aff ! I dont think they care what they are singing its joost a wind up and theyr reeling u in !!

The best one is that Aberdeen fans now sing 'weer only sheep shagging b*strds'' an you never here the other teams sing that now.

:lol: :lol:

Apologies, from where I was sitting it looked like all the fans were applauding but obviously I didn't have the advantage of seeing it on TV!

As for their right not to clap, surely if it was a one minute silence and the Rangers fans chose not to observe that they would be getting lambasted!

The Rangers fans only sing these songs cos they ken it p*sses you guys aff ! I dont think they care what they are singing its joost a wind up and theyr reeling u in !!

I'm sure I speak for all opposition fans when I say - we're flattered. I severely doubt the accuracy of your explanation however; personally I would lay the blame squarely at the door of deep-seeded bigotry.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/ibrox03a.jpg

(joking)

In all seriousness, what happened to this?: "SFA set to dock points for chants"

The best one is that Aberdeen fans now sing 'weer only sheep shagging b*strds'' an you never here the other teams sing that now.

Oh they do still sing it. We just sing it louder..

[i'm sure I speak for all opposition fans when I say - we're flattered. I severely doubt the accuracy of your explanation however; personally I would lay the blame squarely at the door of deep-seeded bigotry.

They don't know what bigotry means. THeyr no that clever. :wink: It is just songs sung at matches to wind up.

Despite feeling a minutes applause for the great Tommy Burn's was appropriate, I can't help but think the decision for this method rather than a minutes silence was based on the fact that Rangers were in town. It is still not uncommon for a minutes silence to be held at football matches. However, I feel the minutes silence would have been interrupted from obnoxious Rangers fans. It is sad when a true great who was respected amongst his peers cannot be appreciated by some Rangers fans due to narrow mindedness.

Despite feeling a minutes applause for the great Tommy Burn's was appropriate, I can't help but think the decision for this method rather than a minutes silence was based on the fact that Rangers were in town. It is still not uncommon for a minutes silence to be held at football matches. However, I feel the minutes silence would have been interrupted from obnoxious Rangers fans. It is sad when a true great who was respected amongst his peers cannot be appreciated by some Rangers fans due to narrow mindedness.

Replace that with "rival opposition". I don't think its fair to say that Rangers fans are the only fans who interrupt minute silences, see Man United vs Roma champs league just been.

Also, great to see the Rangers fans clapping throughout the minute applause, everyone one of them were on there feet

Absolutely not the case - A significant number of Rangers fans did not only refuse to join in with the minute's applause (as is their right), but they actively turned their back to the pitch until it was over. Mind-boggling.

The Rangers support belting out "Rule Brittannia" towards the end of the match was just sad. What a state Scottish football is in.

The game against Motherwell last saturday was the same, you could quite clearly see not everyone was clapping and as you say a few turned their backs to the pitch, I wouldn`t say its mind-boggling its what you come to expect from some of the sad childish bigots who follow Rangers

^^ But its a minority of fans. You can bet MONEY that when McCoist or another Rangers Ledge dies, a MINORITY of Celtic fans will turn their backs.

I'm in NO WAY defending Rangers fans who turned their backs, but I think that everyone is being HIGHLY closed minded if they think that only Rangers fans would do this.

Get real.

I'm in NO WAY defending Rangers fans who turned their backs, but I think that everyone is being HIGHLY closed minded if they think that only Rangers fans would do this.

Absolutely. The behaviour of some Rangers fans of late is the reason they're being "singled out" on here, but the Old Firm are as bad as each other when it comes to their "hardcore supporters". I actually saw a stand-up comedian do a "bit" on it a few weeks ago, talking about the SNP campaign pledges, posters etc:

"One said: 'SCOTLAND: NO PLACE FOR RACISM'. Admirable. But the small print you couldn't quite read said: 'Sectarianism is absolutely fine though - that's just good-natured football banter.'"

As has been mentioned, it is a societal problem. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if many of these "fans" can't even articulate the difference between Catholicism and Protestantism. You can actually draw parallels with Barack Obama's comments on "bitter" people in the American Midwest "clinging to guns and religion"... Celtic, Rangers and their hatred for one another is literally the only thing in many peoples lives, and that's sad.

Will the SPL ever dock points for sectarian chanting? I doubt it.

T'other half as bad as the Huns...http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=29314&st=180&start=180...turning the Phil O'Donnell so-called tribute game into (a) a title-winners party, (B) a Tommy Burns tribute and © a Larsson w**k-fest.

Sorry mods - some naughty words in that Motherwell FC link. Can't blame 'em though.

Slightly off topic here, but I knew several Rangers fans yesterday who were not concerned in the slightest about watching the Scottish Cup Final. This apathetic attitude I find extremely surprising and hard to understand. Fair enough your team has narrowly missed out on a league title, but if my team were in any cup final then I would be a bag of nerves. I would be glued to either a tv, radio or actually at the match.

I also found it highly disturbing when I read that a Rangers fan faked disability in order to gain access to the UEFA cup final. I think this is totally disrespectful to disabled people and actually makes my blood boil that someone could have the audacity to carry out such a move.