Shaetlan Wird o' Da Day

Njugle

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Faeshinlis - Surely dat 's just 'fashionless' perhaps? I'm nivver heard it so i dunna really ken.

Yukki as itchy ahm no wint we ayder.

'scaar' as a quantity, don't some eens say 'laar' lik diss anaa?

'A scaar o maet'

'A laar o wind'

Ony body correct me?

Faeshinlis - Surely dat 's just 'fashionless' perhaps? I'm nivver heard it so i dunna really ken.

quote]

I would tend to pronounce it Fushionless (like cushion but with an f)

I always thought of it as being like functionless.

Yukki I've tended to hear used with really annoying itches rather than the sort of itch that goes away when you scratch it.

Scaar an laar - I tink 'scaar' means 'a peerie grain' an can apply ta onything, whaarby 'laar' juist applies ta wind.

Fuishinless - I tink means literally 'pooerless' fae da Scots wird Fushion, meanin pooer, strent, energy, or da laek.

Buggieflay - literally means ta flay a yowe ithoot spleetin da skaen doon da belly, so at da hael skaen maks a 'buggie' or bag.

Yup agreed, the way I've heard it used anyway it probably was a misprounouciation of 'fashionless', although round here it was said "faushinlis". 'Poor quality' is similar to the meaning I'm used to, but not quite, it tended to be more used to describe something that didn't look the part, or didn't look like what it was expected to, and quite often to describe an inept, talentless and probably "awkward" person, 'a puir faushinlis craitir". The former, I always assumed because it wasn't fashioned in the expected and accepted manner, and the latter either for the same reason, or because someone like that is very probably incapable of fashioning anything properly.

'Fosenlis' as I'd say it is an entirely seperate word, meaning literally 'having no (tensile) strength'. I've only ever known of it applied to things like cloth or paper to describe their state when through wear, decay or whatever have deterioriated to the stage that it literally falls apart in your hands when you try to handle it.

Yukki as itchy ahm no wint we ayder.?

As nautim says, Yukki denotes a persistent or returning itch, rather than one that goes after scartching. It would be equally correct to say you had a Yuk, to describe the same thing, and of course the act of scratching an itch is to Yuk it.

'scaar' as a quantity, don't some eens say 'laar' lik diss anaa?

'A scaar o maet'

'A laar o wind'

Ony body correct me?

Definitely sed be a man fae fardir nort ower is mesell. :wink: We say staur and laur, scaar/staur = a small physical quantity. Laar/laur = a very gentle breeze.

'Werse' - lacking salt.

Mair nordeen spaekin gyaan on heer I doot. Wir wye is "warsh", wi a brodder meenin of having no detectable taste whatsoever, as opposed to tasteless, which perversely in Shetland means of weak flavour.

If you're feeling washed out, lethargic, and totally lacking energy that can also be termed as being warsh, or to have a warshniss.

Snuid - baith a noun (dis wirsit is gien ithin a snuid apo me) an a verb (whit dui dey caa yun pasta at leuks laek snuidit spaghetti?) I dunna kaen if dis is da sam wird as English 'snood' at I tink is da pairt o a fishin line at we wid caa da 'toam' - da bit o line atween da main line an da heuk.

Oh yea, I'm juist leukit him up in Jakobsen - Aald Norse snúÃr (ir dae nae lower-kaese 'edh' i dis character set?) meanin a twist, loop at the end of a line or rope. So hit's laekly da sam wird oreeginally.

Laar an Pirr - I'm windered aboot da difference atween dis wirds. I'm ey tocht at a 'laar' wis juist a aafil licht steady wind, whaarby a 'pirr' wis maybe less steady? I tink I wid be mair laekly ta say 'he cam a pirr o wind' as 'he cam a laar o wind.' Da last ene duisna soond richt ta me, somewye.

Fooshinliss or Faeshinlis is when somebody is really ill-handed or clumsy.A bit fooshinliss, no really up to muckle. I heard me granny spik oh somebody being a "Fooshinlis crater".

I was going to explain fooshinlis by saying that the person would be a bit "Vinedliss", but I dunna think that would clear anything up for anybody!!!

:oops: Actually, I am confusing meself, I have gone fae kenning exactly what fooshinliss is tae no being able to explain it.

Eh, I'll get me coat.... :roll: :oops: