Space.

Njugle

I'm surprised nothing 'spacey' has come up before around here, and as a result i start this on a low of sorts:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/cockroach-gives-birth-to-first-space-babies/2007/10/24/1192941100525.html

A Russian cockroach called Nadezhda (Hope) has given birth to the first creatures ever conceived in space, scientists in Voronezh, central Russia, said on Tuesday.

The first space baby - a cockroach. I'd have chosen a butterfly. Imagine it flying in zero-g, fascinating. Russians. :roll:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of ironic. Most people spend their time trying to get rid of cockroaches. When it comes to a stage that earth is inhospitable for humans, they will inevitably head out into space just to find that the cockroaches made it there before them and have reproduction down to a tee. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I remember reading somewhere that NASA spent millions developing a pen that could write in space...............The Russians brought a pencil.

I know a better one. NASA spent hundreds of millions of dollars developing a reusable heat shield consisting of thousands of individual tiles for the space shuttle. Instead of getting a shield that could withstand up to a dozen re-entry's before needing replaced, they ended up with a system which needed a complete refurbishment after each flight and which was so fragile that it never really worked right (Columbia anyone?).

The Chinese use plywood!

Nasa spending millions on developing space pens is a myth. Pen manufacturer Fischer developed it independently, then Nasa and the Rushkys ordered from him. Actually saving money compared to the hundreds it spent on each mechanical pencil.

Some of the Chris Hodge staff surely can't be from Earth. :lol:

• 2 years later...
Guest Anonymous

Just finished reading a book which puts an interesting twist on UFOs:

http://www.amazon.com/Saucer-Stephen-Coonts/dp/0312983212

It's just a nice bit of fiction, but well worth a read, even if the author has to be a few bob short of a quid. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...