Fuel Prices

mr_brain

When I was filling up (well I say filling up , £50 used to do , now it's three quarters a tank) the other day I got speaking to the pump attendant , he was telling me that the price of fuel had gone up a few times in the last two weeks but as far as he was aware it was only in Shetland , he also said it was 6p a litre cheaper in Orkney than in Shetland , apparently they have a different supplier .That seems like a crazy difference , I'm sure you could ship an IBC for less than that price from Orkney (certainly could if you were shipping in bulk , 6p a litre would work out at £1800 to ship a normal truck up by ferry assuming the tanker held 30000 litres) . I don't believe the cost of sending it up by ship can be anyware near that price per litre , once again GB oils has got us over a barrel (and giving it to us hard)

Well that’s a first for me. The last time I was in Lerwick. Grantfield Garages price! was less than others in Lerwick. I was so surprised at this, that I found myself slowing down, and holding up the rest of the traffic. My sister said my face looked like I'd had, some kind of shock. But I went on by and said nothing to here because, she would have thought I had gone completely crazy

we just been in edinburgh n boys a boys u can notice some difference on the needle wi £30's worth, methinks we are easy pickings to subsidise big mainland companies for the areas where theres competition , i.e. "like shooting ducks in a barrel", and at the same time we're supposed to be happy n like it

just put in some petrol at grantfield and nearly hit the floor 122.9

i put in fuel a few days ago at weisdale and it was 119.9

Weisdale has always had cheaper fuel than the town, but it has always cost more to drive out there than the saving on the fuel price (take a little time over that one). But if the differential gets much higher it will be worth the extra milage.

Da thing ta do wid be fir aa body ta stop buyin fuel for a good few days but the chances o get a majority o da islanders ta do dat wid be slim, its 106p doon in aberdeen ee noo dats 16p a litre difference. Da fuel is brought up in one tanker an am pretty shore it doesna cost 16p a litre ta cover da cost. I have a spare 1200 gallon tank at da hoose an wis seriously tinkin o buyin in white diesel in bulk. i think you can buy in bulk at nearly mainland prices

How about having a day each month when we boycott filling stations?

Not always the solution though. :(

Round where I live people started travelling to the nearest Tesco/Asda/Morrisons filling stations when they do their shopping to save money (106/109 at present) and get their bonus points/ 5p of a litre etc. Unfortunately it now means that all the small local pumps have closed down, our nearest petrol pump is now 5/6 miles away. Used to be that every village had a pump.

Don't know how that would transfer to Shetland but it's the same as with the local shop issue. They need to charge more due to economies of scale and their suppliers. So you pay a bit more and keep a local service or travel to Tescos and see everything else shut down.

Bit of a conundrum if you have to watch your pennies but also want to support loca businesses...

Plus don't forget that most of the cost of fuel is due to government taxes not actually the garages.

Kev

I'm in full agreement of a boycot but what will it do to help us motorists who need their cars as a matter of necessity. I was in toon one day last week when the petrol was 119.9p and on way hame it went up to 121.9p then the next day the fuel truck was delivering the fuel. That smacks a wee bit of being greedy on the garage owners part to me.