Fuel Prices

mr_brain

JohanofNess possibly if I lived down south I might think the same ,but with fuel likely to get more & more expensive ,to enable everyone to pay the same ,universal priceing is the way to go .

Think of this another way ,we all pay insurance --just imagine if we did not & had to pay for the full claim out of own pocket .

What about the postal rates (will possibly change but hope not) universal price definately the best option.

National Health service ect provides us all with health care what if we had to pay !!!!

Fuel should certainly be universaly priced ,how else can the rural areas of the UK compete fairly

Might actually reduce the price of your favorite Shetland Lamb & Salmon in your supermarkets !

When I had my first car at the tender age of 17, in 1973 (I lived in Edinburgh then) petrol cost £1.50 for FOUR GALLONS!!! Yup, it was 37.5 pence per gallon. I remember the figure specifically, because there was hue and outcry at the cost rising to such dizzy heights.

So, petrol is now roughly 18 times the price it was back then....

Might be interesting (if a little overcoming with huge dollops of nostalgia) to compare the increase with other things around us.

Now I feel really, really old....

Has anyone started to think about their use of the car, perhaps walked a little, found an alternative, started to drive slower and less aggressively?

They have not here, they moan about the prices, yet still want to waste fuel on senseless journeys and idiotic speeds.

It will be very hard to combat the high prices. You are not going to get any subsidy, why should folk in London pay for your way of life?

In all, at the moment we have to learn to live with it. Adapt, but still get on to the GOV about capping prices. But, I have said b4, we all need to pay our bit..in this Big Society. I have no choice.

Car share. And planning to get the bus one day a week into toon. Only issue is my legs for the walking to work and back, unpredictable and often painful.

A 60 mile round walk/cycle a day is not really an option LOL For me anyway, though I'm sure the MPs would disagree!

The cost is ridiculous and getting worse as both of us need cars forour actual work, the wife all the time and me alot of the time. Might have to sleep under my desk LOL!

Has anyone started to think about their use of the car, perhaps walked a little, found an alternative, started to drive slower and less aggressively?

They have not here, they moan about the prices, yet still want to waste fuel on senseless journeys and idiotic speeds.

It will be very hard to combat the high prices. You are not going to get any subsidy, why should folk in London pay for your way of life?

In all, at the moment we have to learn to live with it. Adapt, but still get on to the GOV about capping prices. But, I have said b4, we all need to pay our bit..in this Big Society. I have no choice.

Couple of points here. Technically we are not looking for a subsidy but a reduction in fuel duty for remote areas. But yes I totally agree with the notion that most of us could reduce our own fuel bill by driving a bit less, driving more economically and even using public transport (where it exists).

JohanofNess possibly if I lived down south I might think the same ,but with fuel likely to get more & more expensive ,to enable everyone to pay the same ,universal priceing is the way to go .

Where I live has nothing to do with my attitude, I'm from Shetland and I think it is ridiculous the level of money being added to fuel but that is because there is little to no competition for the business in the isles. I still totally disagree with you, what you are proposing is an unfair system because 23,000 people in Shetland pay 20p more a litre than folk on the mainland, deal with the monopoly that exists and the fuel price will come down. More to the point how do you administer a universal pricing scheme if the cost of crude goes up the oil companies would demand an increase in the cost of the fuel at the pump if the government refuses the oil company turns off the tap until they do give them the increase. Do you expect the government to take control of our oil infrastructure to control the cost of fuel?.

Think of this another way ,we all pay insurance --just imagine if we did not & had to pay for the full claim out of own pocket .

Sorry what does that have to do with the cost of fuel I don't see the connection.

What about the postal rates (will possibly change but hope not) universal price definately the best option.

Kind of not seeing what you're on about here either, postal charges are dictated by the government as it was a government run entity that delivered all the post (not anymore). Which is an entirely different kettle of fish to taking the oil companies under state run control. Even now private companies are entering into mail delivery which should lower the cost of post.

National Health service ect provides us all with health care what if we had to pay !!!!

What you mean you don't pay?. Everyone pays is my understanding unless you never pay taxes and national insurance.

Fuel should certainly be universaly priced ,how else can the rural areas of the UK compete fairly

How have they been managing for the past 110 years without universally priced fuel?. You already receive discounts for travelling if you reside on the isles. What you're saying in essence is anti competition, your main complaint is that you pay too much for fuel in Shetland but that issue is brought about by the lack of competition for fuel supply in the islands, there isn't more competition because fuel suppliers don't see enough money to be made and leave it to Scottish Fuels. I pay less for fuel in Aberdeen because I have the choice to go to at least 8 different suppliers and they have to compete for my business but there is still only a 1-2p difference between them.

Might actually reduce the price of your favorite Shetland Lamb & Salmon in your supermarkets !

Doubt it would make much odds most of that already comes down on the already subsidised ferry and cargo links.

I agree that fuel should be cheaper in rural areas but folk choose to live in rural areas and with that there should be an understanding that services aren't going to be the same and the cost of living may well be higher. If the government hadn't ballsed up their control of fuel duty rates they could make sure that remote areas pay less duty to keep the cost down but they can't now which leaves folks asking questions like can't everyone pay a little bit more so I can pay a lot less.

Oh Peat, Peat!.

I think you only see part of the picture. I for one only use my car when I have no option, I do drive sensibly and walk when I can. But being on a low income, it will not be long before I can not afford even essential jounrneys. Now unlike London, I do not have the option of the public transport that exist there, so something needs to be done!

I have never fought for an Island subsity, all I want is for fuel prices in Shetland to be similar to those on the mainland, even an extra 2-3p to pay the additional cost of shipping it hear. Even you have to accept that 20p difference is a rip off. I would also like the Goverment to stop increasing the tax as I just don't have the money to pay any more.

I think you will fine that most of the people "moaning" about prices, are maturer people, who don't drive like teenagers, and have a genuine worry about how they can afford to fill up their tanks. We in Shetland don't have the luxury of the public transport systems that large towns and citys have.

Is £1.40 the trigger for fuel saving then? No. We've been drifting to a more fuel efficient way of living for years now. The price of fuel hasn't suddenly reached some critical point that forces you to take action. People are car sharing, changing to vehicles with better mpg and cutting down on unnecessary journeys already. The only option available to a lot of folk now is to grin and bare the ever rising costs. The behavioral changes have already taken place.