Fuel Prices

mr_brain

Has anyone started to think about their use of the car, perhaps walked a little, found an alternative, started to drive slower and less aggressively?

Is £1.40 the trigger for fuel saving then? No. We've been drifting to a more fuel efficient way of living for years now. The price of fuel hasn't suddenly reached some critical point that forces you to take action. People are car sharing, changing to vehicles with better mpg and cutting down on unnecessary journeys already. The only option available to a lot of folk now is to grin and bare the ever rising costs. The behavioral changes have already taken place.

Too right, carsharing and walking is not going to have any effect on the rip off prices up here. An individual saving is good, as an Island it is still rediculous.

I was more thinking of doing 50 instead of 60, changing to a 1000cc car and ditching the 2.2 ltr. Clearing all the bruck from the car.

We can see that fuel prices are high, so obvious, but y waste your money, get up a bit earlier, leave a bit earlier.

SP, with all due respect, I think many peeps already do the above! Should we conserve more by wearing additional clothing so not running the heater too (Blow it, if I wear any more clothes in cold weather when driving the motor I wouldn't fit in the door never mind the seat) and also stick large torches (rechargeable batteries or solar (ahem) powered/) on the front instead of using the headlamps too? :wink:

Guest Anonymous
why have a 4x4, no snow here now||

i like your thinking peat we should have a soft top for the fine days a normal car when it rains and a 4x4 for the snow,

or maybe just buy one vehicle that is suitable for whatever conditions you may encounter for whenever it is needed.

yet more green eyed monster showing peat, they have a 4x4 so must be rich, dog collar wearing, banker, nazi, pimps on their way to exploit more plebs before returning to the private club to beat some poor people before dinner.

Maybe some people could save by having the car serviced a bit more frequently. Plugs, points and so on. Would certainly help increase the mpg on petrol driven cars.

How old is your car :shock:

I’m a mechanic and I haven't changed a set of points in 15 years.

Joking aside, keeping an eye on your tyre pressures is a good idea. Under inflated tyres reduce MPG significantly. Don't use air con either, as their compressor pumps are heavy to run all the time.

If you can't regulate the temperature inside your car with the heater control and the window, you probably shouldn't be on the road.

... and why have a 4x4, no snow here now||

4x4 are used for more than driving through snow, I would have thought you would have known this, seeing that you work on the roads. Perhaps your rose tinted spectacles are a shade too dark.

Yup, their for taking the kids to school, popping to the shops, getting stuck in carparks, goin on a run, visiting folk, goin to the office, meeting folk. There is the odd 4 x 4, that actually is used for what it is designed for.

But, there are various 4 x 4s, from your Hummers to you Subaru.

Most however are far too big and many are unnecessary and bought not for their Torque but to be talked about.

I am not saying that folk should not drive, but think more on how they drive.

The rip off prices, well if you were to buy in bulk it would be cheaper.

It is very rural here, something that has no monopoly, except where it is rural.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheaper-fuel#drive

This sorta sums it up.

why have a 4x4, no snow here now

will i have a 4x4 and i would look very silly towing a 23 foot caravan and 3ton trailer behind a aygo. not only the car cant do what i need a 4x4 for its illeagle for me to tow the size of trailers that i do if i was using a car. so please for once leave use 4x4 users out of this .this is about fuel not what we drive

I don't know if you missed what I said, but, the above use is what they were built for, and that is fine, the original comment was folk complaining about fueling vehicles. The smaller the vehicle, perhaps the smaller the fuel bill.

On that matter.

But, you are not in a position to make a stand, as there are so few fuel suppliers and you cannot really go without.

Heating fuel has almost doubled in price too.

I don't know if you missed what I said, but, the above use is what they were built for, and that is fine, the original comment was folk complaining about fueling vehicles. The smaller the vehicle, perhaps the smaller the fuel bill.

On that matter.

But, you are not in a position to make a stand, as there are so few fuel suppliers and you cannot really go without.

Heating fuel has almost doubled in price too.

Not always re smallest vehicle SP. I hired last year two Nissans; one being a Micra (Or something equally as diddy) and also a Qashqai (or however it spelt). The Qashqai was more economical on fuel - one journey was to County Durham (Micra) and the other was to Berwick but on both occasions, I purchased fuel in Berwick. The larger car faired better on consumption so smaller does not always equate to better fuel consumption.

I was more thinking of doing 50 instead of 60, changing to a 1000cc car and ditching the 2.2 ltr. Clearing all the bruck from the car.

We can see that fuel prices are high, so obvious, but y waste your money, get up a bit earlier, leave a bit earlier.

Driving a smaller engined car isn't always more fuel efficient as the engine revs tend to have to be higher for the equivalent road speed.

As for driving at 50 in a 60 zone, what do you think would happen if you did this during driving lessons or while sitting your test? My instructor always insisted on making brisk progress up to the speed limit if appropriate for the road conditions as it was essential for not obstructing the flow of traffic.