Fuel Prices

mr_brain

A little food for thought, the yanks are sitting on top of more oil than has been extracted from the planet so far, but have yet to even scratch the surface of those reserves, they are happy to buy up the oil produced in the rest of the planet while sitting on their own reserves.

They make token noises about environmentalists preventing them from exploiting what they have in the ground, but if it was me in charge then I would be happy to pay for others oil until there comes a point that it starts running out or becomes extremely difficult to get at. At this point the world will become politically unstable and I would have plenty of fuel for my tanks and planes while others wont. Who said the yanks are stupid?

The US are also a huge importer of coal - and guess who has one of the largest coal reserves in the world, yep, the US.

Well according to that, daveh has been ripped off. The AA has petrol at EXACTLY £101.035477 a litre in New Zealand.

The funny thing is that it has increased quite a lot over the past year in NZ and many people think the cost is getting ridiculous. I keep pinching myself as a reminder to how much I used to pay.

But I bet it falls fowl of EU competition laws.?

Or worse yet, the laws of the town hall.

I don't usually agree with all of JW's sentiments but for once he makes sense, I thought it was a great idea when Clark mentioned it.

STOP PRESS

WILLS AND CLARK FINALLY AGREE ON SOMETHING

Shame it's a year and several hundred thousand pounds too late!

The only way it would be a success is for an outside company to do it, otherwise I can see another Viking Energy type company being setup with public money by councillors and SCT boardpersons who would then continually deny conflicts of interest all in a bid to further line thier pockets at the expense of the people of Shetland.

Something of this nature would surely meet/exceed shetland demands?

http://ogdcorporation.com/micro_refinery.htm

Given it's a modular design, output could always be increased at a later date.

Guest posiedon
The only problem with this is what ever is produced will still be liable to taxation so it really won't be that much cheaper, unless captain calamity succeeds.
The tax on fuel is currently 58.95p, so at £1.46 a litre the suppliers have quite a bit of wriggle room I would have thought.

If fuel could be provided here in Shetland, then at least you cut out the cost of transportation from Grangemouth, where then could the filling stations justify their exorbitant prices?

Guest posiedon
The only problem with this is what ever is produced will still be liable to taxation so it really won't be that much cheaper, unless captain calamity succeeds.
The tax on fuel is currently 58.95p, so at £1.46 a litre the suppliers have quite a bit of wriggle room I would have thought.

If fuel could be provided here in Shetland, (why didn't somebody do it 30 years ago?) then at least you cut out the cost of transportation from Grangemouth, where then could the filling stations justify their exorbitant prices?