Fuel Prices

mr_brain

Nope, just the oil industry as a whole.

This will mean the cost of living will also go up there, less chance of your oddbods coming. But it means anything heavy will cost more to ship and distribute.

You might wanna protest at the costs, boycott certain garages for a week and so on.

It is called +ve action.

You need to get on to folk, here is ok to vent spleens but generally gets ignored by those who could make a louder noise elswhere.

Guest Anonymous

GB oils raised the price SP not the retailers.

Seems that retailers, well some really do not care, making a profit from the community is a living.

what is wrong with making a profit? would you go to work just to cover your travel expenses? Making a profit is what everyone does when they go to work.

The difference between you and a business person is they have risked their own money, house etc to provide themselves and their employees with a living.

You on the other hand love to claim the nasty business community is out to screw you. Get a grip.

So, GB oils are not part of the oil industry. The cost of oils is huge compared to even a few years ago.

I remember the shops in Lerwick adding on 5 pence on the marked price for shipping.

I forgot you have an involvement in the oil trade nd retail.

But, you cannot deny that oil industries make huge profits out of this.

I am not against trade, but it has to be fair trade. Expliotation is quite wrong. The oil industry as well as some local retailers have exploited the public.

As you know.

when the 5p/ltr subsidy was first mooted the disparity in prices was 16p it is now around 20p. yet more profiteering

Disparity between where?

Aberdeen diesel today is 138.9p/litre and according to petrolprices.com, Lerwick is 152.9p/litre. I make that a 14p difference, these were lowest reported prices. Are these Lerwick prices out of date?

the rising cost of fuel will break this country, but i suspect not until we see £2.00 a ltr so i reckon by october.

eventually somthing has to give! haulage will be the first, or at least cost of living will rise so much, making the whole population poorer, cost of fuel dosent only affect those who drive anymore, wait till the cost of the boat tickets double..... and why not if fuel doubles in price then its only fair....

working in the oil industry right now is def not a boom time!! but oil companies will make profit... if they didnt we would have no fuel and to be honest they stake alot of money out to start with

having stupid, uneducated (in the right areas) working for our country is whats causing all this, how come fuel price stayed so stable for 20yrs then went nuts! the ppl that are causing that need to be locked up!

what i ment was the cost of fuel to the public, it didnt rise by 1p every week for last 30yrs!! speculators are def the problem!

we are not running out of fuel thats a huge myth, mabye the north sea is in decline but brazil, africa, asia all booming because of the technology to explore deep water.

do you think a 10% tax rise on oil company will help fuel price!! oil company will just put on price of product! again public lose!

the global cost of fuel is the problem not the differnce between shetland and aberdeen! we always paid more and always will thats life!

we are not running out of fuel thats a huge myth, mabye the north sea is in decline but brazil, africa, asia all booming because of the technology to explore deep water.

How can we not be running out of fuel? There was a finite amount of oil in the earth before we started digging it out, so the more we use the less there is left in the ground. We can't replace it as we use it and the earth can't make new oil at the speed we're pumping it out, and the demand for oil is generally increasing all the time. With a world population estimated to be 10 billion by 2050 that demand is only going to increase.

As you say, the deep water exploration is increasing at the moment, but why has it taken them all this time to get it out? Cost. The North Sea provides relatively easy reservoirs to tap into, with shallow water depths to put the rigs, but it is only cost, (and technology - which is directly linked to cost) that has stopped them exploring deeper waters until now. That expense is going to have to be covered by increasing the cost of their product.

Guest Anonymous

What I think he meant and I agree with is we are not going to run out any time soon. You say the north sea is shallow and easy to get at, but that is not quite how it works. Technology for extracting oil is advancing at a rapid pace, no different to when I started 24 years ago, we have always been working at the cutting edge the only thing that is different is geography, in fact with tech advancing the way it is far more resources are going to open to exploitation and I would not be surprised if global production does not increase. And as new tech becomes old tech it also becomes cheaper. With practice new methods are refined and the whole process from building the rigs, drilling, completion, production, transport and refining improves. Current oil prices are due to commodity speculators, politics and taxation not because of any scarcity of oil.

excatly what i ment, its not gonna run out in near future, no one knows if we have used half of whats available, not all of the seabed has been mapped yet! working on a siesmic survey vessel i can assure you that i know!! not even all of north sea has been mapped far from it!!

yes the cost is massive! we have data onboard now worth millons and this job has taken 4 weeks! and its actually millons! we dont even know if theres oil here yet!

Peak Oil!? me and you will never see peak oil! or at least we wont know because by the time the whole world has been mapped and someone says thats it no more oil left ill be long gone! mabye it will just be extracted at slower rates to keep prices high!

its not unknown to have tankers sat at a platform for 3 weeks trickle loading to keep the cost high! instead of flooding the markets.

and half of available oil well half of what was available in 70s is diff to whats available now with new tecnology more is available! its changing all the time and very fast.

I dont know why we even let OPEC, of which we're not a member, set our oil prices.

Between OPEC, market speculators etc, we're being shafted.

Surely if 'we were to set our own prices in our own market, other markets would want to compete with it, and in turn thier prices would drop. I dont see why the price of oil rose in the UK because of an unsettled Middle East/Libya etc. Our oil is in our country, not in the middle of the north african desert.

Why doesn't the UK, and other European oil producing countries have thier own oil regulator that sets prices instead of using the price set by a Middle Eastern and Latin American oil exporters club?

excatly what i ment, its not gonna run out in near future, no one knows if we have used half of whats available, not all of the seabed has been mapped yet!
How does the graph of oil discoveries against time look just now?

A peak oil book I read showed the discovery of oil reserves in barrels over the years and showed that peaking a long way back (30's was it?) There's obviously going to be a time gaps between discovery and getting the last barrel out, but if the discovery rate peaks, then extraction at the same rate is not sustainable. Maybe their graph was skewed though?

It still leaves us with the problem though - if it is not peak oil then production rates have to increase year on year, and if that is to be sustainable then the total reserves need to increase year on year. Are discoveries consistently ahead of production?

mabye it will just be extracted at slower rates to keep prices high!
I think that is more or less one of the peak oil effects predicted too......