Fuel Prices

mr_brain

Guest CyprusPluto
^^

I didn't know about getting coupons instead.

How did you get them?

I didn't ask for them Dave, they just sent them once they realised Shetlanders couldn't use the 5p off fuel vouchers. I suppose there's nothing to lose in e-mailing them a prompt if you have some of the useless 5p off ones

dont know if anyone else has seen it but yahoo's home page has a link to the cheapest places to get fuel in uk, i would put up link but on phone just now and not sure how to. Anyway its showing the Grampian area as cheapest in UK with an average petrol price of 129.7, while it has shetland as the most expensive at 145.9 even if that data is a month old it just goes to show how much we are being ripped off especially when the next most expensive place is showing an average price of 137.9. I cant be the only person wondering how the investigation into fair pricing of fuel didn't find the suppliers guilty when there is such a massive difference in price between shetland and the mainland. I also cant help but wonder why i can buy a litre of fizzy juice in shetland for the same price as i can on the mainland yet a litre of fuel is 15 pence more, its strange that an essential product like fuel has an extra costs added on to cover transportation yet a luxury item like juice and alcohol dont.

I was in Inverness at the weekend, petrol in several places there at £1.30 litre, plus supermarkets offering 5p off, that's a huge difference to £1.51 at some of the pumps here!!

Don't forget we already have a 5p subsidy, otherwise it would be £1.56 a Litre.

So the diffrence between Scottish Mainland and Shetland is still getting wider.

Our Lib Dem MP, who takes much credit for this 5p reduction, should be asking 'who is pocketing the subsidy? '

I was in Inverness at the weekend, petrol in several places there at £1.30 litre, plus supermarkets offering 5p off, that's a huge difference to £1.51 at some of the pumps here!!

I think Inverness may be cheapest in Scotland at the moment, thanks to a price war between Tesco and a newly-opened Asda. Asda have been selling unleaded at 131.7p; Tesco raised their price today from 131.9 to 132.9. Sainsbury's in Nairn have unleaded at 134.9. In the Glasgow area, 138.9 is more typical at supermarkets.

Has anyone figured out why the gap between diesel and petrol is 5p in mainland Scotland but 2p in Shetland?

I think Inverness may be cheapest in Scotland at the moment, thanks to a price war between Tesco and a newly-opened Asda. Asda have been selling unleaded at 131.7p; Tesco raised their price today from 131.9 to 132.9. Sainsbury's in Nairn have unleaded at 134.9. In the Glasgow area, 138.9 is more typical at supermarkets.

Has anyone figured out why the gap between diesel and petrol is 5p in mainland Scotland but 2p in Shetland?

I reckon the same reason the 5p discount is being stolen by the fuel trade - because they are getting away with it.

• 3 weeks later...

On BBC news at 1 and also 6, mention of Western Isles petrol supplier who has reduced prices by 9p per ltr. The owner says he can do this becuase he has switched supplier. I thought Highland Fuels had a monopoly in the Western Isles as well as Shetland. Not much details in the BBC report, but hope someone in Shetland is following this up. I still think the best solution is for the Council to buy in bulk and ship up, but probably rules against them doing that.

• 1 month later...
Shame we haven't got a Morrisons store up here this week:

https://www.morrisons.co.uk/Offers/Fuel-Britannia/

No this just does not make sense. If, as fuel distributors claim, profit margins on fuel are less than 5p a litre then, unless they have pushed their prices up by 10p a litre or are making massive profits in the supermarket they really cannot afford this even as a short term loss leader promotion.