Fuel Prices

mr_brain

It was disappointing to hear that there were no practices with fuel pricing. I used to deliver milk to a garage in Feltham a few years ago. The owner said is was the only way to make the business viable. I guess they did not scrutinise too deeply.

Fuel rises can have a big impact on the cost of living. If does go up, another burden poorer folk will endure.

• 2 weeks later...

WESTERN ISLES APPLING REAL PRESSURE

Iain Maciver blog; Fuel rip-off resumes as Scottish Fuels and Highland Fuels sneakily conspire to push up prices again

See link http://maciverblog.co.uk/2013/02/19/fuel-rip-off-resumes-as-scottish-fuels-and-highland-fuels-sneakily-conspire-to-push-up-prices-again/

SHETLAND & ORKNEY need to do the same.

We could start by posting prices;

20/02/13 Sutherlands Unleaded £1.459 / L

Hi Folks,

For those who don't know I run the Voe shop.

Since the 5p Derogation was introduced all we have done in terms of fuel pricing is to round up the fuel cost price to the nearest whole pence and charge (essentially) cost price. With only one or two exceptions where we've added perhaps 1p, today however the prices have increased to such a level that we can no longer survive on the 5p derogation and we have had to impose an additional margin on a permanent basis.

These constant increases have got to stop - something has to be done. Shetlanders need to act (sooth moothers like me included). I guess my question is do folk here care enough to actually DO something or do we just like blowing off steam?!

For your interest here are the wholesale prices given to me today:

Diesel (Quantity of 3000 litres) 126.3p/per litre + VAT = 151.56p/per litre

Petrol (Quantity of 4800 litres) 121.4p/per litre = VAT = 145.68p/per litre

It is not just the suppliers who are at fault, the government are taking a MASSIVE percentage of the price we all pay at the pump and they surely cannot justify this any longer.

If the 5p derogation did not exist the prices (wholesale) could be said to be 156.56p/litre and 150.68/litre which is far in excess of the differential that Sam Chambers of Scottish Fuels indicated should exist between here and 'some' other retailers south.

Why am I telling you all this - well I'm fed up with ever increasing, never decreasing costs from fuel suppliers!

If all those selling fuel ,joined together & refused to buy in fuel at these prices then when everything came to a standstill surely something would be done. :roll:

Yeah if only it were that simple. There are only 22000 residents here and if we refused to buy fuel then they would just sit back and say screw it let them suffer.

We all have to bear in mind that although I agrre that the oil companies DO make serious profits , they DO invest Billions on reasearch and development , Licences , pipelines , oil rigs , tankers , and all the other expenses to extract the oil.

The government on the other hand , what do they invest ? They take over 50% of the cost of a litre of fuel for doing nothing other than sit back and let others provide the money. Fuel duty should be cut severely , or scrapped , and definately VAT shouldnt be added onto a tax , that just plain wrong. Rip off britain reigns supreme.

^^

Not so easy for a government to start reducing the tax and duty on fuel, though great in theory. I also grit my teeth every time I fill up the fuel tank with diesel here.

The coalition inherited a vast debts and deficit after some 13 years of total financial mismanagement by Labour. It has reduced the deficit by 25% but has a long way to go. If the tax and duties on fuel were reduced, it would need to be replaced by some cuts or increased revenues elsewhere.

Although I understand where you're coming from daveh from reading FairFuelUK's commissioned report it seems that the revenues the Gov't would make by dropping the tax rate would be INCREASED as more people would be able to fill their tanks or make more trips.

I guess its one of those things - 'you don't know till you try' if the Gov't had some courage to TRY it for 12 months we'd find out once and for all.

Whatever way we look at it the price HAS to start coming down. If we could get enough like minded folk together I'm sure something could be organised.

Wasn't there talk, at one time, of fuel being brought up by private tanker lorries on a ferry or would that be a huge risk when there are stormy seas?

The SIC are big users of fuel. How is their fuel delivered to the islands and is it at a cheaper rate than is supplied to the service stations here? If so, is there scope for their order to be increased with the fuel then being delivered around a a price that would enable the SIC to recover any additional costs incurred?

Just basically thinking out loud on this one as the problem hasn't been solved for all the talking and reports that have gone before.

^^

Not so easy for a government to start reducing the tax and duty on fuel, though great in theory. I also grit my teeth every time I fill up the fuel tank with diesel here.

The coalition inherited a vast debts and deficit after some 13 years of total financial mismanagement by Labour. It has reduced the deficit by 25% but has a long way to go. If the tax and duties on fuel were reduced, it would need to be replaced by some cuts or increased revenues elsewhere.

Yes I agree it wouldnt be easy for them to do it , it would if they wanted too. Its not just the car user who would benefit by having more of their hard earned to spend , which would help the economy , But good , food etc should be cheaper as everything relies on fuel to get where its going does it not ?

The government should start cutting back or stop completely all this oversea's aid and meddeling in other countries affairs , thereby saving untold millions , NO pay rises for MP's , they were wanting 30% pay rise !!

They should at the very very least abolish either fuel duty or vat on fuel because thats just another damned stealth tax.

When we are at it with all these cutbacks.....why if we are seeing services cut are we still expected to pay the same , or , more for a reduced service ? I'll tell you why....to protect the civil servants jobs , thats why.

So we take all the pain while that shower in the commons , holyrood and the "lords" sit back and do f**k all.

As I said earlier it is up to those who operate the fuel pumps to refuse to pay these extortionate prices to there suppliers.

If this was any other commodity, milk ,cornflakes ect & the wholesaler raised the price to much , then it would be no thanks , & there would be no milk or cornflakes for sale in that shop .

So simple refuse to buy in this expensive fuel & put up a sign --SORRY NO FUEL.

When the transport system comes to halt & everyone starts to suffer then the government will have to listen.

This would have to be a national thing .to really work . :twisted: