Fuel Prices

mr_brain

hmmm but surely the energy used to carry a case of beer/cider/crate of wine plus munchies plus normal food to the bus and then the mile or so to your house from where the bus driver decides to drop you off in the pissing rain and wind and sleet and hail pinging off your forehead.. Is much more than the £3 extra in fuel it costs to drive your car?

Cases of beer/cider/crates of wine never come back off a bus in Shetland, plus the occupants usually roll out of said bus wearing half the food whilst having left the other half on the floor/seat/roof/back of the shirt of the guy sitting in front...

....So no need to worry about carrying any of that!

• 3 weeks later...

there was an interesting section on the one show ( or what ever it is called ) on bbc 1 at 19:00 last night. where they are trying to figure out weather these bio fuels are friendly to the environment because at the moment they are chopping down huge areas of rain forest to clear ways to grow the necessary crops.

diesel cars can run on normal oil from the supermarket, ie vegatable, sunflower, the trick is not to use too much in the one tank or it becomes too gloopy without the aid of a tank heater

you should be able to quite happily run a diesel engine on 70/30 mix ie 70% diesel and 30% cooking oil.

if you had a dual tank system and a heater you could start the car on diesel, let the oil tank heat up, say 10 mins then run the rest of the journey on 100% cooking fat - a lot of people still dont realise this, that diesel cars can run on most oils

if you use below a certain amount a year you dont pay tax any more, there was a change in the law a few months back, heres a link for you to read:

http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/vegoil.htm

just make sure that it contains just the oil in the product, I suspect crisp n dry has other agents in it to create the crispyness, which i suspect arent all that usefull in a modern diesel engine!

cheapest i found was at co-op for vegetable and sunflower oil. make sure your tank is filled with diesel first to allow the oil to mix with it.

point i noted was that said oil is substantially cheaper on the mainland!

point of law: I am just making this information available from other sources of information and my own observations, i am not to blame if something goes wrong!

The high fuel prices is another reason why Shetland should be independent. In Shetland we don't have buses every ten minutes as they do in the central belt, we don't have undergrounds as they do in the central belt, we don't have trains!

Any independent Shetland would make the essential practice of driving a lot cheaper with a much lower rate of tax if any!