Fuel Prices

mr_brain

The high fuel prices is another reason why Shetland should be independent. In Shetland we don't have buses every ten minutes as they do in the central belt, we don't have undergrounds as they do in the central belt, we don't have trains!

Any independent Shetland would make the essential practice of driving a lot cheaper with a much lower rate of tax if any!

Yeah you could have petrol at £0.50 a litre but what level you going to set income tax less than the 22% the UK will have?.

Got to pay for services somehow.

Yeah you could have petrol at £0.50 a litre but what level you going to set income tax less than the 22% the UK will have?.

plus the rest and the 9% national insurance that is supposed to pay for our pensions that are non existent unless you happen to be employed by the civil service.

with the resources we have income tax could be set at a zero rate and corporation tax would also be a lot lower than the UK.

fuel duty would be zero or very close to it this would make landing to the Shetland catch very attractive to the Scotish fleet and the Norskies as they would fill their fuel tanks while landing in Shetland, so contrary to some beliefs we would not be giving our fuel away but making a great deal of money from the fish landed at our factories.

Any ferry company looking to run routes to and from Shetland would find it a lot cheaper so welcome back Smyril, and Norshukon would be up and running by now alongside Smyril.

There is absolutely nothing I can see that means we would be better off under UK/Scots rule, paying taxes to keep their arses out of debt.

There is absolutely nothing I can see that means we would be better off under UK/Scots rule, paying taxes to keep their arses out of debt.

As a matter of interest when the oil companies pull out of Shetland and all the money and jobs that came with it do you think the fishing will manage to make up the shortfall in that revenue?.

Even without oil Shetland pays more into the UK than it gets back out.

but before the oil runs out we should be taking control of our own affairs and making the most of our resources, not letting the UK/Scots help themselves to our wealth.

So yes i do believe that Shetland can And should stand on it's own with or without Orkney.

If you think differantly maybe you would like to tell us on here why you think the way you do :!:

• 4 months later...

time to break out the nail polish remover ;)

http://www.industrialnewsupdate.com/news/oil-energy/archives/2005/03/acetone_in_fuel.php

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

I've read about this on several sites and apparently adding a small amount of acetone to your fuel can increase the fuel economy by 15-30%

MF

*edit* second url added

£1.22 for unleaded and £1.30 for diesel wtf is the world coming to :shock:

Time to sell the 30 mpg car (if you can find a mug to buy it) and buy a 60 mpg one. :wink:

already done that last year.. sold the 24mpg for a 54mpg.. and now im paying the same i did to fill up the car a year ago :?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief1108.htm

Here's a link from Revenue and Customs own website which could be of interest.

It basically states that as long as you use less than 2,500 litres of biofuel (vegetable oil) a year you are not classed as a fuel producer, therefore are exempt from duty on it. For an average car thats roughly 42 fills of the tank, though as mentioned above it can bring problems of the gloopy variety when used on its own. I've been fairly reliably informed that Peugeot and Citroen diesel engines are some of the few who have fuel heaters, not in the tank but before it goes through the injectors, which would certainly help to alleviate the problem. I've used jet fuel in mine and it works a treat, and with the price of fuel being what it is even a hefty fine would be less than the equivalent amount of legitimate fuel!