Fuel Prices

mr_brain

Granted, walking, cycling and using public transport simply isn't a viable way of getting from A to B in more isolated places in Shetland. However, for plenty of folk in Lerwick and in villages throughout Shetland who could quite easily get off their backsides and walk to their work or the local shop or wherever but don't, the 'I live in a rural area and need to use a car' is no more than a lazy excuse.

The inconvenience, the expense, the distance, the weather, the list of excuses could go on about why some say they don't walk, cycle or use public transport in instances where they do actually have a choice. Lets face it, even with the escalating price of fuel, the majority of folk just prefer the comfort and convenience of using their own car and no matter what enhancements are made to alternative ways of getting around, old habits die hard.

@ shetlandcars - my apologies for making light of it, the site made me chuckle as i fell for reading into it myself, and i don't live in a fuel-price-free situation, far from it, and really should know better. There is actually valid info on the site if you are suckered into reading more, like i was.

Anyhoo:

The BBC have been investigating North Sea oil reserves and come up with this -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7435016.stm

Still possibly as much to come from the North Sea as has been taken.

Whilst oil companies are drooling over the exposed arctic oil fields at the same time, and oil companies continue to break profit records.....

“My concern now however is that I have been given figures by retailers that indicate there are aspects of the pricing policy elsewhere in the supply chain that bear some further explanation.†- Alistair Carmichael.

- Does this mean the forecourts have been charging hugely over the odds or am i reading it wrong?

“My concern now however is that I have been given figures by retailers that indicate there are aspects of the pricing policy elsewhere in the supply chain that bear some further explanation.†- Alistair Carmichael.

- Does this mean the forecourts have been charging hugely over the odds or am i reading it wrong?

The figures have come from the forecourts, i.e. retailers so I would not imagine so. I take it to mean the suppliers of the fuel to the retailers

Those poor, poor garage forecourts :cry:

I heard that they only make their money on the stuff they sell in the shop: tatty flowers, car-care products, etc. How true is this?*

*I'll put my money on 'c) extremely unlikely' please.

I don't know if this is the right place for this

It's an E-Petition to the Prime Minister to lower the duty on fuel.

I don't suppose it'll do much good ... but it can't hurt.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Lowerduty30/

The deadline for signing is the 17th of June

didn't the prime minister resign?

does the caretaker have access to the website?

Those poor, poor garage forecourts :cry:

I heard that they only make their money on the stuff they sell in the shop: tatty flowers, car-care products, etc. How true is this?*

*I'll put my money on 'c) extremely unlikely' please.

I remember one local garage owner telling me he made more from selling ice-cream than petrol. That was a good few years ago, not sure what it's like now.

Guest Anonymous

Maybe this is a daft question, but, although all petrol retailers claim they make very little from fuel sales, why did Sutherlands Garage at the Blackhill keep their pumps going after they had stopped vehicle sales, etc.?

Admittedly this is a reflection on how little car dealers make from selling new cars in a small place, about 5% margin, but does it indicate that there is still a profit to be made from fuel sales, considering their forecourt didn't sell all the hellery that other forecourt shops sell?

Maybe this is a daft question, but, although all petrol retailers claim they make very little from fuel sales, why did Sutherlands Garage at the Blackhill keep their pumps going after they had stopped vehicle sales, etc.?

Garages make a very small percentage profit per gallon. I'm not sure what it is these days but 1 or 2p difference in price between garages/shops is insignificant when you consider the total outlay required.

Selling vehicles is a very expensive business(?) as so much of a sellers profit is lying on their lots depreciating. If you haven't got the turnover, you can't survive.

At least, if you are selling just fuel, you should be able to make a profit.

• 1 month later...