Fuel Prices

mr_brain

Perhaps their business rates and insurance premiums are less with being out of town?

Country shops do not pay business rates, they have a rateable value but receive 100% remission, as with all clubs and halls.

Blimey! Given that the SIC are on about making cuts and savings, I'm quite a bit amazed by this given that whilst local shops (and also filling stations) do serve the community, they do, however, have a more or less genuine "catchment" with less competition than say in Lerwick. You could well argue that their turnover is less but I've never seen our local shops quiet!

I wouldn't expect an out-of-town filling station to be paying the same business rates as one in town but to pay nowt is, quite frankly, astounding.

Guest posiedon

quackquack, Are you having a laugh? You think that because we don't have long traffic jams that that's justification for us paying 20/30p a litre more for our petrol/diesel?

And where do you stand on the cost of heating oil might I ask? It's warmer in London so they should pay more (according to your reasoning)

quackquack, Are you having a laugh? You think that because we don't have long traffic jams that that's justification for us paying 20/30p a litre more for our petrol/diesel?

And where do you stand on the cost of heating oil might I ask? It's warmer in London so they should pay more (according to your reasoning)

They pay enough for air conditioning, another saving for Shetlanders.

How come deisel used to be half the price of petrol?

Blame the EU.

Around about 2000/2001 the EU introduced a clean air directive which required the member states to tighten up the amount of nasty emissions from the cars on their roads. Brussels gave the member states until 2005 i think to meet the new directive. What this meant was that from 2005 the diesel you put in your car could not contain more than 150ppm of sulpher. This in turn meant that the oil refineries had to install expensive new treatment facilities to reduce the sulpher content of their diesel fuel to meet the new EU limits. Someone had to pay for that expensive investment and as usual its the end user, ie you, at the bowser. Its from about 2005 IIRC that the cost of diesel started exceeding the cost of petrol and that, along with good old fashioned market forces as muckle joannie points out, is what has driven the cost up.

Supply and demand. Diesel cars have become much more popular. 30 years ago diesel cars were a rarity, now you can get a diesel version of just about every model.

Guest Anonymous

A little food for thought, the yanks are sitting on top of more oil than has been extracted from the planet so far, but have yet to even scratch the surface of those reserves, they are happy to buy up the oil produced in the rest of the planet while sitting on their own reserves.

They make token noises about environmentalists preventing them from exploiting what they have in the ground, but if it was me in charge then I would be happy to pay for others oil until there comes a point that it starts running out or becomes extremely difficult to get at. At this point the world will become politically unstable and I would have plenty of fuel for my tanks and planes while others wont. Who said the yanks are stupid?

I think this is the important bit:

The materials are hydrogen-based, and so when used produce no carbon emissions at the point of use.

It doesn't say anything about emissions produced making the stuff.

It also seems to be considerably further from actual deployment than that article suggests. More details here.

Interesting though, nonetheless. :wink: