Fuel Prices

mr_brain

Just to show how crooked GB Oils/Leasks/Gulf are, heres what happened on wednesday...

Tuesday I drove by and noticed thier price had gone from 149.9 (For Diesel on Monday) to 150.9, so there's me thinking that they're at it again :roll:

Wednesday 1pm, I was about to goto Scalloway and thought I'd best fill up, so not thinking I went to Leasks and only once I'd started filling the car up did I notice the price! 152.9 !!

Then as I was leaving a Fuel Tanker turned up to fill them up. So they had been trading the entire morning and most probably the day before aswell at a higher price on fuel they got at a cheaper rate.

And they say they arent profiteering or monopolising!

I shall be going to Sutherlands in future, regardless of cost.!

For sure they are profiteering.

When the duty was reduced by 1p, the fuel price was reduced by 1p.

It should have been reduced by 1.2p as there is VAT on fuel duty. But all the garages here do their prices to .9 of a penny, never .7 or .4 or whatever. Always always rounded up - unlike garages south.

• 2 weeks later...
Well it seems we are not the most expensive place for fuel according to the BBC report here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-13113995. Of course they only have a tiny road network to drive on but it is still crazy.

Whilst they don't have a car ferry, aren't they closer to the mainland than we are?

^ I have a friend who will be up here on 1 June starting Bertie Bear's Long Way Down challenge from Unst to the Scilly Isles in aid of the Grenadier Guards' Colonel Fund. The challenge ends 35 days later in the Scilly Isles. He is using a specially built wheelchair with hand cycle attached. He has found out he can't take the support vehicle (A Land Rover) on the ferry to the Scilly Isles - they aren't even sure if they can get the wheelchair on it!

I've got permission off the mods to post details on this challenge which I will do in a separate section but despite having some corporate sponsors onboard, he has yet to find a fuel sponsor (estimated cost £1,200). Before anyone suggests it, BP have said no and the other large fuel companies haven't even had the decency to send him a reply.

I've already told him how much fuel costs up here - looks like I'd better warn him re the Scilly Isles but if he can't get the Land Rover on the island, I doubt if he'll worry too much about that!

At least your link gives a rough indication of how long it will take for the EU to consider granting permission re fuel duty.

From the Isles of Scilly Steamship Company Website

Freight

The following items are all classed as FREIGHT and must be booked and paid in advance:

Windsurfers, Camping Equipment, Bicycles, Boats, Diving Equipment, Motorized Wheelchairs and Trailers (under 3m only for St. Agnes and St. Martins). All booked freight and luggage is transported from Penzance to St. Mary's Quay only, onward transport must be pre-arranged.

Passengers with Special Needs or Reduced Mobility

Scillonian III crew will always try to accommodate passengers with special needs; however, due to the ships design and safety restrictions we may not be able to cater for all requirements.

On-board Scillonian III there is a Dolphin Stairlift on the main stairway between the Bridge Deck and Upper Deck, suitable to carry passengers up to 150kg. This is a 'person lift' and does not take a wheelchair. Passengers will need to be able to transfer from their chair onto the stairlift unaided, or with assistance from their own helper (Scillonian crew are not permitted to lift passengers).

Access to the ship is provided by a gangway and is not suitable for motorized buggies, and these are loaded as freight. Passengers who use motorized buggies can transfer to a standard wheelchair which we have available, this must be pre-arranged.

Looks as though he should get onto the ferry as long as he has a helper and I am sure the ferry crew are peeved (or worse) about the rule saying they cannot lift people.

OK a fuel sponsor. Has he tried Total who are doing all the work up at the terminal and might feel that sponsoring someone passing the terminal gate was worthwhile. Worth a try.

And VAT wiped out the 1p cut.

It seems retail fuel in Shetland is helping to pay the national debt. You also will pay more VAT on the higher prices.

Seems that retailers, well some really do not care, making a profit from the community is a living.

i thought it was a well established fact it was GB fuels that were the money hoovers ?