Fuel Prices

mr_brain

Guest posiedon

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Why doesn't everybody boycott the [former] Leasks filling station? Isn't that the one that sets the price for the rest?

Don't buy from them, not their fuel, not their snacks, not their drinks, not their sweeties, not their car wash, nothing.

They would soon get the message as they put out another few black bags of perishables that have gone off.

The solution is in your own hands, use it instead of just complaining on

shetlink.

Pay the penny extra (if it Applies) in the short term, in the long term we'll all benefit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Why doesn't everybody boycott the [former] Leasks filling station? Isn't that the one that sets the price for the rest?

Don't buy from them, not their fuel, not their snacks, not their drinks, not their sweeties, not their car wash, nothing.

They would soon get the message as they put out another few black bags of perishables that have gone off.

The solution is in your own hands, use it instead of just complaining on

shetlink.

Pay the penny extra (if it Applies) in the short term, in the long term we'll all benefit.

Guess what :?: :idea: :shock: :? :D 8)

I agree, the solution can be addressed by a community acting.

Abstention would get a message across, perhaps a rotation of the higher priced.

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't matter if you boycott Leasks, go somewhere else and they get their fuel from them in the long run ...

£1.32 in Aberdeen on Monday, then come up here and get ripped off, but unless we stop driving we cannot affect them !

Here's Brian Wilson's take on Scottish Fuels. Interesting.

http://macivercolumn.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/wilson-on-scottish-fuels.pdf

I have this vision of the board of scottish fuels laughing their heads off at the Shetland population and the politicians while they continue to get away with the massive overpricing. We have no choice but to buy the fuel at whatever price they choose and the politicians who have no power to stop them. Well the lib dems seem to be able to do nothing and the snp's don't care as we're never going to be an snp ward. With hindsight all the money that the council has wasted on smyril line, the anderson high balls up and the bressay bridge could have been spent indentifying a site and maybe basic groundworks for a fuel depot then encouraging another fuel supplier to set up. Maybe that would break some rules in regards helping a rival step up against an established business but if that could work then it would go a long way to helping the local economy with the basic requirement, affordable fuel.As for this five pence off thing, totally laughable. We sometimes can see a five pence rise in a single week, so i also have a vision of those scottish fuel suits going, "Five pence, so what, we can soon make that up! Cigar anyone?!"

Not at all sure what any investigation is going to achieve other than to cost the taxpayer money. Surely we have a free market economy which basically means that if I have a product to sell then as long as I do not enter into dodgy deals with competitors I can charge whatever I like for that product?. Yes we may be getting "ripped off" but in a free market with only one supplier then that is what can happen. In fact maybe we ought to be grateful that we only pay 20p a litre more than Aberdeen. What is to stop them applying a 50p a litre surcharge?.

You're right, there probably is nothing that any politician can do except make out that they are making all the right noises and aren't going to take any crap etc etc blaw blaw. As you say it's a free economy and any other supplier is free to come and set up. I would imagine though that the amount it would cost to set up would far outweigh any possible turnover/profit, could be wrong though on that one but would be surprised. So surely the best way would to create a suitable "enviroment" for a supplier to set up. Maybe a level site far enough away from any homes/ other infrastructure and very close to a deepwater quay with all services. But make the site big enough for two different companys to set up, ie one new one and for scottish fuels to relocate from the north ness so it wouldn't seem to be discriminating to our established outfit.

Not sure if we should be gratefull that we're not charged a higher surcharge. If you get punched once by a bully you shouldn't be gratefull that it was one and not five! Stand up to the bully and make sure it dosen't happen again. Now we can't stand up to the petrol bully by not buying the fuel as we all need it but we can make it easier for another petrol supplier to come here and they can fight themselves.

If Tesco were to open a petrol station, the competition would definitely be there and their 5p off per litre, for spending £x at the store, would certainly see folks heading there to fill up.

I wish they would get their act together and actually buy a site somewhere soon.