Fuel Prices

mr_brain

The first link is from October 1998, the second is from August 2011.

Your point is?

There still milking it.
:roll:

They're is the contracted form of They are. This form is used in sentences using "they" as the subject of the sentence with the verb "to be" used as either the helping verb (e.g. They're going ..., They're playing ...) or the principal verb of the sentence.

Examples:

They're working hard this week.

They're very interested in helping out.

There is used as an introductory subject is sentences with "There is" and "There are". It is also used as an adverb of place meaning "in that place".

Examples:

There are many people in that room.

That's my house over there.

Their is the possessive pronoun form. This form is used to express that "they" have a specific quality, or that something belongs to "them".

Examples:

Their house is in Los Angeles.

He liked their looks!

Do you get it yet?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/ginluvva/Thewrong-your.jpg[/img]

^ No you missed out the they're.

y' In case the above is not obvious enough for you.

No, don't be silly!

There (used by way of calling attention to something or someone): There they go.

Similar to

that place: He comes from there, too.

Origin:

before 900; Middle English (adv.), Old English thÇ£r thÄ“r, cognate with Dutch daar, Old High German dÄr; akin to Gothic, Old Norse thar; compare that

Can be confused:  their, there, they're, posiedon

When you say you were a teacher, I do hope it was pottery.

:wink:

If GB Oils are only marking up the cost by a few pennies, the additional costs may be in the distribution network in Shetland.

Back on topic now...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/there

Guest posiedon
shetlandpeat

When you say you were a teacher, I do hope it was pottery.

But I never said that; did I? You're confusing me with someone else.

You would do well to remember who you're quoting, talking about, or indeed; talking to, before making your comments.

Wotcha gonna do?

Thanks for confirming that you not a teacher, this is evident in your postings. It could be suggested that the mannerisms you use to correct folk with the lack of understanding in the written form can be labelled as the actions of a bully. The attempt at humiliation is rather a low form of appearing better then the subject you ridicule, or, the act of a bully.

More intimidation,

You would do well to remember who you're quoting, talking about, or indeed; talking to, before making your comments.

I do well enough that I can take your attention and put it where it belongs, in the Patent registered by a Mr. Crapper.

Please desist your attempts of putting right the wrongs of the forum, a forum used by all, highly educated or not. Unless of course you are going to instruct folk in a more constructive manner, rather than by intimidation or humiliation.

The rural prices for fuel here are similar in price, give or take a few pennies. This could indicate that it is the distribution network and/or the retailers.

Wotcha gonna do?

Thanks for confirming that you not a teacher, this is evident in your postings. It could be suggested that the mannerisms you use to correct folk with the lack of understanding in the written form can be labelled as the actions of a bully. The attempt at humiliation is rather a low form of appearing better then the subject you ridicule, or, the act of a bully.

More intimidation,

I do well enough that I can take your attention and put it where it belongs, in the Patent registered by a Mr. Crapper.

Please desist your attempts of putting right the wrongs of the forum, a forum used by all, highly educated or not. Unless of course you are going to instruct folk in a more constructive manner, rather than by intimidation or humiliation.

The rural prices for fuel here are similar in price, give or take a few pennies. This could indicate that it is the distribution network and/or the retailers.

pot kettle black, yet another load of tosh from a sanctimonious tw*t

Oh dear. You know there is some form of formula or theorem, or suchlike, I believe, relating to Internet fora and the use of such epithets as "bully" or "nazi"? I believe someone referred to it previously, in one of the Wills-inspired threads.

And here it is.

It is usually the action of a troll. And yes, it does appear that SP revels in winding folk up with the same unintelligible gibberish and bizarre proclamations, most of which fall short of the mark and, inevitably, appear to have no basis in fact or reality.

You appear to cause more conflict, digression and argument in this forum than any other user I have ever come across (including the venerable Para Handy and the irredeemably irrepressibly entertainingly paranoid and outspoken Koyanisqaatsi!! :shock: :wink: ).

I submit, therefore - at the risk of, no doubt, being labelled a "bullying Nazi" - that you, SP, are very much of the trolling persuasion.

They're. I said it :wink: :P

BTW If, as you now imply, your use of "There" was to draw attention, you should have written, "There. Still milking it.". Not the best use of English, but better than your rather weak attempt to justify your error. We all make them, no one is perfect, etc, etc. My point being, you make yours so blatant and so often that I sometimes suspect they are deliberately included to wind up the more grammatically minded users here. Anyway, as for "intimidation", I often have cause to disagree with "posiedon", and we have exchanged respective views in the past. However, I have never once taken their posts as intimidating, or attempts at intimidation. Nor do I take their post to you as such. It is advice, pure and simple. To treat it as anything more sinister is to attempt to undermine an opposing argument, in order to provide justification for an error, or to bolster a weaker argument by dint of appeals to public sympathy.

Whatever, it comes across as a touch paranoid and immature, at least to me. But then you know us bullying Nazis. We all stick together, right? :roll:

A more mature approach might be better next time. Same with the insults and belittling comments you, yourself, employ in taking to task someone for allegedly insulting or belittling you. It doesn't help your argument one little bit. Nor does it promote positive response or constructive debate and discussion.

Again, reminiscent of those of the trowish persuasion.

(Best not travel to Norway. The TSS will be all over you, whether Ringlefinch, Mountain King or Tosserlad!!) :wink:

Leasks have reduced their prices today.

Hopefully more good news will come from this

An official review is to be carried out into the excessive prices paid for many goods and services – including fuel and delivery – in remote communities, it was announced today.

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT), which is charged by the government with ensuring that markets operate effectively in the interests of consumers, will take evidence from members of the public and one of seven workshops will be held in Shetland.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/02/10/investigation-launched-at-long-last-into-high-prices-in-remote-communities?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

In my e-mail box this morning:

This message has been sent on behalf of the ACTION NOW ON FUEL PRICES FOR ISLANDERS CAMPAIGN.

Please forward this to as many people as you can and share with others that wish to pay a fair price for fuel.

We've attached a list of facts about Fuel Distribution to the Isles. Western Isles and Shetland supplied by Scottish Fuels.

These have been sent to the Secretary of State for Scotland .

He has agreed to an investigation into fuel in the Isles and now needs to be told that we want a focussed investigation into Scottish/GB Fuels and CONOCO and we want it now !

Please "do your bit " by copying these FACTS ON ISLAND FUEL to all the freinds on your address book and encourage them to e-mail ALL our elected representatives - MP..MSP..COUNCILLORS..Party Representives... to finally get us the investigation that will deliver FAIR FUEL FOR ALL ISLANDERS !

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE

SMOKE AND MIRRORS FROM SCOTTISH FUELS / GB OILS

Action Now on Fuel Prices for Islanders is a grassroots community campaign set up to provide a united island voice calling for a proper examination of the current crippling fuel charges in the islands. The campaign recently held a public meeting in Stornoway addressed by Mr Sam Chambers and other representatives from island main distributors Scottish Fuels / GB Oils Ltd. A number of facts emerged from the meeting - some of which are summarised below.

FACT - THE DIFFERENTIAL IS STAGGERING

Transporting fuel costs money. However, industry analysts have calculated the expected differential with mainland centres like Inverness and Glasgow to account for the cost of transport to be 2p to 3p per litre. The actual differential between Stornoway and these centres is consistently around 14p per litre (about £1 a gallon) for standard unleaded fuel and up to 18p a litre for derv. It is worth noting that prior to Scottish Fuels becoming the main distributor, the differential with the same set of mainland centres was in the region of 3p to 5p per litre. Even allowing for the inevitable effect of inflation, the current difference of 12p to 15p is beyond reason and suggests profiteering under the guise of purported transport costs. Scottish Fuels failed to provide an explanation for that.

FACT - COST OF TRANSPORTATION

The cheapest way to transport fuel is by bulk sea tanker. Scottish Fuels ships fuel into Inverness, Stornoway on Lewis, Uist, Orkney and Shetland by bulk sea tanker yet the retail price in the Western Isles is consistently around 14p a litre more expensive than the national average. We are assured by the OFT and others that the retailers' mark-up is the same everywhere. Scottish Fuels failed to provide an explanation for that.

FACT - LESS COSTLY ROAD DISTRIBUTION IN ISLES

The big difference is down to which side of the Minch you are on. Fuel is sold in Uig on Skye and Ullapool regularly at a massive discount compared to the Western Isles (eg 10p a litre less in Uig in Skye, 8p a litre less in Ullapool) despite the tankers supplying the Ullapool and Uig stations having to make long, costly round trips by road from the Inverness depot. No filling stations in the Western Isles are as far away from the main deport as the mainland ones yet they pay higher prices. The main filling stations in Stornoway are all within a mile of the Scottish Fuels depot and they also have among the highest throughputs in the Highlands and Islands (excluding Inverness and the supermarkets). Yet our fuel prices, with no significant road transport distribution element, are 14p a litre higher. Scottish Fuels failed to provide an explanation for that.

FACT - ECONOMIES OF SCALE SHOULD FAVOUR ISLES

Scottish Fuels have a central depot in Skye which is much smaller than their Stornoway one. Being smaller, it could be expected to suffer from diseconomies of scale and has the additional cost of road distribution. Yet Skye prices are much cheaper than in the Western Isles. Scottish Fuels claims they operate a different system for Skye which results in lower prices despite lower throughput than the main Western Isles ones which benefits from a much larger depot and whose main filling stations have no significant road transport costs. It would appear to be evidence of discriminatory pricing which is against the interests of Island consumers. Scottish Fuels failed to provide an explanation for that.

FACT - LACK OF PROPER COMPETITION IS CRUCIAL

On the one occasion when Scottish Fuels faced competitive price competition from Brogan Fuels in Lewis in the last year or two they reduced their prices in Lewis but not on Uist and Barra where they had no competition. Scottish Fuels then took over Brogan and prices quickly returned to the high level where they were before they faced competition. When the government introduced a 5p per litre fuel discount for the islands, Scottish Fuels put up their prices causing an immediate 4p per litre pump price increase which was not introduced on the mainland. The effect was to confirm the impression that they completely control the market and are now to get a subsidy from the government as well. Scottish Fuels failed to provide an explanation for that.

FACT - NATIONAL PRICING WORKS IN OTHER SECTORS

Tesco and the Co-op offer food in their Western Isles outlets at fixed national prices despite having higher transportation costs than fuel as the goods are sourced centrally and shipped by road. Electricity and gas charges are set at a national rate. Newspapers which are bulky items delivered to the islands by air, the most expensive distribution route, are also supplied at a national price. Scottish Fuels failed to provide any explanation why other service providers to this area are happy to implement national pricing policy - even those providers who use more expensive means of distribution.

CONCLUSION

Scottish Fuels is imposing a swingeing premium on an economically-fragile remoter area and that policy is having a knock-on effect which results in unfairly higher prices and, in some cases, genuine hardship. Scottish Fuels is being utterly unscrupulous by using transportation as a cover for outright profiteering and we believe the government must act.