Should drugs be legalised?

Should drugs be legalised?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Should drugs be legalised?

• Yes
    • No
    • Its not a yes/no question
    • Undecided

Thanks for the insults. You certainly know how to forward a cause.

Beating folk will not stop them,

To get someone off a habit takes care and understanding.

Try stopping smoking, you will find it quite difficult.

Perhaps all should suffer Flagellation for breaking the law.

Can you provide evidence that the death penalty stopped murders.

In Peerpoints book he said most of the people he hung were guilty of a crime of passion, a momentary lack of self control.

It is nice to have a friend.

I am sure you have looked into this and have first hand experience. Instead of helping mates, most do not understand and are not mentally able to deal with it, so the defence mechanism jumps in and totaly goes against the friendship.

So you could be as guilty by doing nothing.

At the moment, drug addicts take their wares in camera.

If you make it that they can come forward and get help without folk continually point fingers while perhaps getting blind drunk a couple of times a week.

But I think we have already covered this if you check the previous posts on this string, I know you do that sorta thing, it may help and prevent folk from repeating themselves.

bobdahog you do sound like some one sheepish, am I right? 2 profiles is bad. If I am wrong, sorry.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

If calling you a fool is an insult SP then you are very thin skinned.

I call you a fool because you state that you have friends on smack yet they don't have a problem, what mental problems do they have that made them use smack then. and are you sure that they are not still in the stage where hiding their problem is still an option. because for sure I have many friends that hid their problem until it was such that they could no longer hide it or did not care about hiding it anymore.

I call you a fool yet to be honest I can think of a lot worse things to call you when you repeatedly post in public that you know folks that use yet are OK, kids read this and if just one is missled by your ignorance and try's that sharn for themselves I hope their folks get a hold of you.

as for the rest of your post are you sure your no on smack cause it is a load of rambling sharn

The differance being that maybe 1 in a 1000 who drink regulary become alchy's

So you reckon that Shetland, with a population of around 22,000, should only have around 22 alcoholics, then ?

Bobdahog must reckon that there are even less then 22 alcoholics in Shetland, as there many who don't drink at all, or only drink occasionally. :(

Guest Anonymous

Inky we likely have a lot more than 22 alky's up here but for damn sure every one that drinks heavily is not an alky but every one that uses smack regularly is a junky whether they like that definition or not.

personaly I probably drink a hell of a lot more than most but I know when to stop and that is as soon as it has any negative effects on my work or personal life. I can have a can of beer while watching tv or sometimes a ginger beer. but my friends that take smack are revolving their whole lives round getting the next bag.

I've known one or two folk steal for drink but a hell of a lot more steal for smack, and those that stole to get drink stole whatever they wanted anyway the stealing was part of their lifestyle long before alchohol was, yet those that stole for smack would of turd themselves a few years before if someone in their company had even tried to pinch a sweet from a shop.

What more can I say the evidence of my own experience is smack is a filthy drug that darlings folk up without fail and drink is something that 99% of those that use it have no problems with, same goes for pot and charlie.

bob, as you know so many folk on opiates or another drug, you should understand the problem this is and the fact that this needs addressing. You do not seem to think friendship means much and as pointed out your figures are floored.

I call you a fool yet to be honest I can think of a lot worse things to call you when you repeatedly post in public that you know folks that use yet are OK, kids read this and if just one is missled by your ignorance and try's that sharn for themselves I hope their folks get a hold of you.

as for the rest of your post are you sure your no on smack cause it is a load of rambling sharn

well sheepshagger is that you? sounds like it, the kids are far better educated on the subject than you seem to be. Perhaps you should take the time research the topic, speak to the professionals who are charged with addressing this. You have still not furnished us with your plan to save your mates.

Again I say that this problem needs to look at the stigma with this, check out the things going on in Portugal, then get back to us, and give the kids a chance. You make the assumption that kids are stupid. To publicly punish folk will just drive the miss uses further underground and will cost the tax payer more to sort it out. And you can cut your idle threats, no need for that attitude, really, I am sure.

Guest Anonymous

am very sorry but the bleeding heart liberals n their ballcocks have allowed this verminous scourge to get more as a foothold, and said beatnicks are not the majority outwith shetlink thank god. Theres a bigger support for boot camps for the little barstewards at low level drugginess and good public flogging for higher level offences as you might think

Even so, you would still need to address the mental issues associated with drug missuse, are you sayin women dragged to this country and force fed heroin to comply with the sex industries needs should suffer the same.

You would have to introduce these folk back into your world so as they do not go backwards. So in a way you are not too far wrong. These detox camps, because that is what they will become will forward the need to make it an open policy and to remove the stigma held by some of the shallow minded sometimes. You will have to get these folks to come, there is no way you will be able to catch and deal with them all, as we have heard in another thread it can cost 45,000 pounds a year to look after these folk.

Public flogging, well are you trying to drag us to the world of Taliban justice. As a nation we deplore this sort of punishment. We would be removed from the run of things in the world order and be as barbaric as the Americans. Who apart from being the most aggressive nation in the world still suffers with extreme cases of racism, violence against women, drug crimes, murders, social injustice, welfare neglects and yet they have the most prisoners, larger prisons, armed officers, the death penalty and who also spend enough on one bomber to cure 35,000,000 people of blindness.

I look forward to how you explain how your detox and rehabilitatin camp will fit in with the requirements of the EU and the other bodies we as a country sign up to and regulate for.

A country is judged on how well it treats its folks, and the examples set to those who miss use human life.

Hmm Liberals, are they not cutting police budgets and other welfare budgets, poorer folk tend to uprise.

Guest Anonymous

drugs n sihte is come mostly from creepin up the yanks rears in first place , and our country is no example to anybody , a dinosaur drowning in its own paperwork , ridden with petty crime,heaving with single parents n awash with drugs and verging on bankruptcy, a bloody shambles n disgrace. Great britain ? great laughing stock! aided n abetted by dreamers hugging hoodies, hug a hoodie n the little prcik will empty yer pockets n stab you to buy drugs , wake up ffs

At the moment, drug addicts take their wares in camera.

If you make it that they can come forward and get help without folk continually point fingers while perhaps getting blind drunk a couple of times a week.

I don't buy it that someone who's sole objective 24/7/365 is figuring out where their next hit is coming from, even has the thought of others pointing fingers crossing their mind, never mind being concerned about it.

Addiction to the point of self-destruction is largely, if not wholly genetic. Why the motivation to "save" these people who develop addictions to a self-destructive magnitude anyway, its just multiplying the problem for future generations. The longer they live the greater the chance they have of passing on the genes with the problem. Let natural selection of the fittest do its work, its the best outcome for the human race in the long run.

Well depression and mental illness were hidden away by families. The cost to society must have huge and hidden. Unless you advocate that the above sex trade workers be killed on your behalf because you want to practice eugenics. That would be too a dangerous road to travel.

The theory must be to get these folk back into a society that you deem normal. It would be far cheaper to do that than continually pay to investigate and bring to trial crimes caused by an addiction. Then what sort of system do you think we should have. Any traces of opiate in your body, your off to the gallows. That would not work, there are a far greater number of folk who take prescribed drugs that have a more detrimental affect on our society that goes unchecked.

You have to start with saving those who want to help themselves but don't know how or do not want to be discovered.

It is called compassion, you may think it is pandering, it is, pandering to make a better society. Humanely.

What punishments should be handed out to the folk who use alcohol and beat their wives cos the football was rubbish, drives and risks killing folk.

Although that may be how you feel, and sometimes we all can feel like that occasionally, in our lives, we can only strive by moving forward.

As I said, these attitudes are that of dome developing countries and America. As we know, it works for them.

The eugenics, if acceptable for drug addicts would bleed over into other parts of our society which we all had a hand in creating through civil apathy.

As we know, most folk who smoke weed and move onto opiates smoke tobacco. Yup, there will be the odd case that does not but the links are there.

We should address the problem before it becomes a problem, instead of just being reactionary, po-active is the only way, a fool would perhaps think differently. All punishments are retrospective.

Is the methodone they give them not as bad as the heroin ? If they stopped giving them methodone they might have a better chance of kicking the habit , to me it just seems like once they are on that they get hooked just the same as the heroin , and eventually go back to it !

I can see quite a bit of common ground here, even with those with the most opposing views.

If any of you have not watched the 3 part channel 4 series " our drugs war"

I would suggest you do before you post back here.

For me the evidence for decriminalising drugs is overwhelming, and as shetland peat mentions their are countries like portugal and holland where this has already happened.

The situation within those countries since they changed their approach is further positive proof that blanket prohibition does not work.

And to SJP17, you are correct that methadone has a very poor success rate at curing heroin addicts.

But the methadone producers are making a good profit and that is perhaps the main thing.

Curing heroin addicts might not be good for their business?

And the most damming point on methadone - Is the fact that several of the drug deaths in shetland were caused by this very substance when taken along with alcohol.

That is a fact.

the most lethal drug combination in the Shetland Isles over the last few years were supplied by licensed traders and the national health service.

Guest Anonymous
are you sayin women dragged to this country and force fed heroin to comply with the sex industries needs should suffer the same.

Not at all pete I am saying that those scumbags who do this to them should be strapped to a gurney and injected with a massive dose of their own sharn and their rotting carcass put on public display.

What punishments should be handed out to the folk who use alcohol and beat their wives cos the football was rubbish

strap them to a gurney.........

As we know, most folk who smoke weed and move onto opiates smoke tobacco. Yup, there will be the odd case that does not but the links are there.

most folk that smoke weed move on to opiates my ass pete you obviously havent a clue what your talking about

well sheepshagger is that you? sounds like it, the kids are far better educated on the subject than you seem to be. Perhaps you should take the time research the topic, speak to the professionals who are charged with addressing this. You have still not furnished us with your plan to save your mates.

calling me a sheepshagger I'm hurt you beastly little man, And as for talking to the so called proffesionals give me a break we have all seen how that works no smack on the island and off the junkies troop to the proffesionals with a sob story about how they are trying so hard to sort themselves out to get their fix of meth and as soon as smack is back on the island their back on the smack. How do I know this because I've watched my friends play this game for years.

You have still not furnished us with your plan to save your mates.

What plan I don't have one bar telling them they are screwing their lives up, you can't save folks that don't want to be saved, I know of 3 folk who have been junkies that have turned their lives around but they wanted to do it no one could force them, I certainly beat my head of a brick wall for years trying before giving up.

the kids are far better educated on the subject than you seem to be.

lets hope so because if they listen to the sharn you spew forth then they will think it is OK to try it, it will be OK as long as they keep it under control. fact is I have yet to meet anyone who can keep it under control.