• Yes
    • No
    • Its not a yes/no question
    • Undecided

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the more you oppress folk the more resilient they become. Look at the escapees from Nazi POW camps and their skills to use everyday stuff.

But the constant monitoring, the constant mistrust will not help to rehabilitate. You will be turning one problem and making it into a worse one.

And yes, how many folk will you need to constantly monitor prisoners like that, quite a few, and safe guards will have to be put in place.

They key would be to form a trusting bond, do the mind stuff as well as the addiction stuff and start a program of moving folk back into the community.

Most will come out of prison, and only a few will still require drugs of that nature and get placed back into the environment they offended in the first place.

Folk will need to be relocated, quietly as well, it happens with other types of time spent offenders.

Folk ignore the real issues about addiction and where it comes from.

If the correct program was in place to restrict the criminal side of addiction, be it the physical or mental addiction and folk could be more honest and open about their problems then far more can be done.

Punishing an addict will not stop the gun trade, the trafficking of humans and the abuse some get more than others

Good words from the court house.

GR, they all go through reception before going back on the wings, here they are closely monitored and all risks should be taken into account as well as any drug problem. The trouble is that the prison cost so much to run that the money to do this goes on other stuff.

Reception should be 2 weeks.

But it seems less will be done as the Police and other services will be cut, less time to do the preventative stuff. More private companies sending folk to prison for HDC breaches because of faulty or poor quality equipment, oh, and the little extra they may get when the HDC is granted again.

I think it would probably be very much against the law to deny them of drugs in prison, if the offender was already recieving a substitution prescription before being locked up. You wouldn't deprive any other person that had committed the same offence of any medication would you ?

Prison has been the place a lot of people I'd never imagined of even using drugs, has been the very place they have accuired a heroin habit.

Legalisation of drugs if done by the proper means would result in:

purity assurance under Food & Drug Administration regulations,

labelled concentration of the product ( avoiding accidental overdose ),

obliteration of drug crime & the crimes users may choose to fund their drug use.

savings in expensive law enforcement ( which if you look at the tatistics over the last 40 years is inefficient at best & is failing miserably ),

the obliteration of vigorous marketing techniques employed by dealers, and provide considerable tax revenues which could be used to fund education on substance use & abuse with any extra going into the NHS.

If you agree then write a letter to Tavish, has to be a letter though, those MP's have to respond to a letter by law. Many an email seems to go unoticed I have found to my cost.

Guest Anonymous

^bollox

obliteration of drug crime & the crimes users may choose to fund their drug use

unless you are going to provide it free of charge this is a complete pile of tosh.

OP8S are highly addictive so the user will always crave more and will do whatever it takes to get it, and if you are going to provide it free then it is not going to raise any tax revenue is it.

Or do you suggest we charge for it until the user is hopelessly addicted flat broke and unemployable then hand it out for free.

Get real it is not going to happen you are just going to have to pay for your smack until you meat the condition described above then we will read about you in the paper when you are either

a) caught for shopplifting/housebreaking

or

B) found dead/dying from overdose

whatever I'm sure you will find some way to either

a) blame your parents

or

B) blame society

but what you will probably never do is take responsibility for the fact that we all know where OP8S leads, you were just too dumb/arrogant to believe it applied to you.

Guest Anonymous

wrong again SP.

I don't think the user should be punished at any cost. stop trying to tell folks what I think.

For your benefit I will spell it out legalising smack will not make it any less addictive, there for legalising it wont prevent the problem of addiction.

An addict will do whatever they have to, to get their next fix.

Unless you want to hand it out for free they will still have to find the money to fund an ever increasing habit.

If you try to regulate their supply they will go elsewhere for it and you then have a black market just exactly where we are now.

Folk that deal smack should be dealt with in the harshest possible way allowed by law.

Simple enough for you SP

^ That's true. Loads of GPs in London would dish out methadone. You would then see the addict "selling" at least half of it in order to get heroin. If the clinic reduced the amount of methadone, they would still "top up" on the black market with heroin.

I don't think any country has really come up with a solution.

^bollox

obliteration of drug crime & the crimes users may choose to fund their drug use

unless you are going to provide it free of charge this is a complete pile of tosh.

OP8S are highly addictive so the user will always crave more and will do whatever it takes to get it, and if you are going to provide it free then it is not going to raise any tax revenue is it.

Or do you suggest we charge for it until the user is hopelessly addicted flat broke and unemployable then hand it out for free.

Get real it is not going to happen you are just going to have to pay for your smack until you meat the condition described above then we will read about you in the paper when you are either

a) caught for shopplifting/housebreaking

or

B) found dead/dying from overdose

whatever I'm sure you will find some way to either

a) blame your parents

or

B) blame society

but what you will probably never do is take responsibility for the fact that we all know where OP8S leads, you were just too dumb/arrogant to believe it applied to you.

I never said anything about supplying anything free of charge, in fact I said quite the opposite if you read the post. I'm sure most people addicted to a substance would rather pay a trained medical proffessional to supply them with a prescription for their preffered substance as it would be substanially less than they are probably paying just now, whether it's weed, cocaine, ecstacy, methadone or diamorphine.

These drugs are already being produced legally by drug companies & if you care to investigate further take a look at the BNF you will see are being sold to the NHS for hardly anything. I think a charge of £20 a week would more than likely cover the cost of any drugs used by even somebody addicted to a substance.

Also it's a common misconception that somebody addicted to an opiate will always want to increase the dose they take on a daily basis. If that were the case then maintenance therapy would not be as succesfull as it is & continues to be all over the world. Somebody addicted to cocaine is more likely to increase their use of the drug indefinetly. The majority of people who recieve diamorphine prescriptions in the U.K. today have been on the same dose for over 20 years now & have had families of their own, basically lived a normal life. Working in all sorts of occupations.

As for me bob, you will never read about me in the paper. I was brought up to be a very good boy & consider myself to have very high moral standards. Housebreaking & theft are terrible crimes. I'm quite offended that you think I would carry such acts out ! I also would never hurt my parents or leave my wife & three kids by putting myself in any kind of danger. Life is short enough as it is, I've been enjoying it for the last 40 odd years & I intend to make the most of it. So you needn't worry about me bob you big softy. :D

As ever you seem not to read into what folk are suggesting.

Prescribing injectable heroin is already legal.

This needs to be adopted as with the Portugal model and others.

Folk take their prescription there and then, as they also do in many chemists with methadone.

I say what I say about you because you have yet to describe why a normal person would take harder drugs and how you would prevent them starting, your posts as do not provide any preventative measures.

Yes methadone is on the streets because the chemist gives it to the addict. Where a long term program in place, it would not get past the door.

For your benefit I will spell it out legalising smack will not make it any less addictive, there for legalising it wont prevent the problem of addiction.

It is already legal to prescribe, but what you have done with that statement is just state what is already known and is nothing new and has no bearing on what the suggestion is not to legalise it as with alcohol or tobacco (kills 300 a day) but to install a program to remove the glory and stigma of opiate abuse, as well as still punishing dealers, but as we know, these small time dealers are as much a victim as they are an offender. Remove the need to sell then you remove the dealer. In Portugal, this system, is starting to pay off.

We have a fair system of law on the whole. The law is there to help, but as this GOV is cutting funding to agencies that will progress this forward it will appear not to work because the rehabilitation bit of a prison sentence is missing. If you are happy just to lock up folk, not treat their addition, mental issues and in many cases what this country has done to them then you will let out on the streets some bitter and dangerous folk.

Where will the forty thousand a year or more per prisoner come from? What will you need to cut or how much more tax will be needed to pay for this. You cannot force inmates to work. There is no mechanism for that, if they do not want to work, they don't have to. Forcing them would be slavery, if you look up the definition of slavery you will see where any future law case would come from. But you wont.

Anyhow, you said you were gonna ignore what I said in a previous post.

Deviating from that already.

wrong again SP.

I don't think the user should be punished at any cost. stop trying to tell folks what I think.

An addict will do whatever they have to, to get their next fix.

Unless you want to hand it out for free they will still have to find the money to fund an ever increasing habit.

If you try to regulate their supply they will go elsewhere for it and you then have a black market just exactly where we are now.

Folk that deal smack should be dealt with in the harshest possible way allowed by law.

Simple enough for you SP

Yes precisely bob me ol hog. Professors of theory rattling on a lot o skyitter. Its at the bottom where the effort needs put in. Points o entry, dealers , and making the whole thing unappealing a first place. If not by respect then fear. This is not the "mainland" never has been , never will be and most of its ways just cannot work in such a small place. Addiction to the worst of the hard drugs is a very fast road to the suddert

The theory is already and WORKING in other parts of Europe.

Yet you continue to point out any of successes they have and still not being progressive.

Most dealers are very small time and are addicts themselves, in their jaded desperation they sell enough to folk they know.

So, I was right in saying about your attitude to addicts.

The point is to supply a clean, cheap and available alternative to going to dealers. That will lessen the amount of dealers and reduce the influence the drug cartels will have on the this part of the world.

People are people, you and I are them as well, I am sure if alcohol was banned we may still seek supply. You may not want to comment on that in a theoretic way as it does not prove YOUR point. It does show that these things happen.

Bangin up folk for small time dealing does not work, as this is what we do now. It is not solving anything but just satisfying a part of law. Unless you are still being vindictive.

^bollox

What a load of hogwash, bobdahog. You obviously have no idea what you are tlaking about. The user will not always crave more and more. This is basic pharmacology.

Sorry, but your arguments are nothing but your own opinion, coloured by what you read in the Daily Mail.

You'll be advocating a spell in National Service and bringing back the birch next.