• Yes
    • No
    • Its not a yes/no question
    • Undecided

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all illegal drugs should be legal then drug problems could be treated as medical problems not criminal ones, drug users could get pure clean drugs that are not mixed with lethal chemicals and they would know the doses they were taking so less chance of over dose.

Ni dont agree more PC crap we need to burn a few neds each week at the market cross the drug problems will soon go away

all illegal drugs should be legal then drug problems could be treated as medical problems not criminal ones, drug users could get pure clean drugs that are not mixed with lethal chemicals and they would know the doses they were taking so less chance of over dose.

Fully agreed.

Dito. The sooner its seen as an illness the better. Criminalising drug addicts drives the problem underground

Its easy to take the 'filthy druggies' moral highground, but it does nothing to tackle the problem.

No. Sort out the alcohol and fags problem before you even propose such propostory.

There is a fundemental difference between drugs such as Heroin and Crack when compared to drink and fags. I don't think they're in the same ball park

Take away the supply of drugs from criminals and many problems are solved instantly. A properly regulated system is the way forward

I think it would take a very brave government to even consider such an idea, and it probably won't happen in my lifetime, but I think it would be a progressive step

Couldn't have put it better myself!

I'd lik to point out that I don't think it should be made legal to use drugs in public places. And should only be legal for adults. But if people want to take drugs, they will. Its a fact of life. They're also members of our community, and people make mistakes. We should help them, rather than crimenalise them, which seems to set them on a path of ever decreasing circles

It's all well said above except one thing which needs to be discussed better. What can prevent a person from taking his first drug dose? You say it's his right but it's not such a simple thing, after a couple of doses he develops an addiction and can't resist taking the drugs again without medical help. I've never smoked in my life, but many mates of mine started at the age of 14. And most of them tried to stop smoking even at that age, but it was already too hard. So by this I mean, this is not a fair deal: you cannot give it a full try and then stop, either you never take it or you become addicted, be it tobacco or narcotics.

The only salvation humanity knows against this devil is prohibiting drugs as such. If people will have free access to their first drug dose it will really increase the number of addicts. And then remember again: trying drugs is not a fair deal.

Finally I'm not sure that taking in drugs is a good remedy for addicts or they would rather need some proper medicines, along with psychological treatment etc. Permitting them buying drugs freely will just catalyze their catastrophe. So I think narcotic drugs should be given only at medical prescription and only as a part of clinical treatment. The main problem is that all clinics in the world can't accept thousands and millions addicts, no place for them all and it costs, so many of these poor people are forced to stay out and "heal" their addiction themselves.

The only salvation humanity knows against this devil is prohibiting drugs as such. If people will have free access to their first drug dose it will really increase the number of addicts. And then remember again: trying drugs is not a fair deal.

To play devils advocate here: Prohibition will always make people, especially young people, perceive a rebellious "coolness" which would otherwise not be present. And dealers prosper through the fact that they can be one stop salesmen. Walking into the chemists shop and asking for some will never be cool, and being asked if you would like some would never happen. And the underground trade would potentially be priced out of business.

"Just say no"- better/safer to have to ask for yourself in the first place, especially from a middle aged woman in a town centre shop :wink:

"Just say no"- better/safer to have to ask for yourself in the first place, especially from a middle aged woman in a town centre shop :wink:

:lol:

maybe we could intoduce an alternative kind of drink/drug license... folk could sit a gumption test to determine whether society would be in danger of losing all sense of moral fibre should that person decide to get monged up on wobble juice. anyone shown to have a degree of common sense could be given a license to drink/drug it up.

The only salvation humanity knows against this devil is prohibiting drugs as such.

Prohibition does not work. It's that simple. And either we bury our heads in the sand and keep telling ourselves it's being taken care of, or we figure out a new approach.

Keep the drugs lethal and unclean. Its like nature stepping in and saying "thats what you get for taking drugs".

Oh, grow up!

Do you have anything constructive to say?

Prohibition does not work. It's that simple. And either we bury our heads in the sand and keep telling ourselves it's being taken care of, or we figure out a new approach.

Why doesn't work? It does if we count how many drug addicts there would be had drugs been legal. I agree that we can't resolve this problem in all cases, but at least we can minimize it to minimum. I still think that prohibiting drugs is one of the most fruitful measures in preventing people from taking their first dose.

Why doesn't work? It does if we count how many drug addicts there would be had drugs been legal.

Aaahhh, the old classic, using imaginary statistics to prove an untenable argument.

How on earth do you know how many people would be addicted to drugs if they were legal?

In answer to your first question, I don't know why it doesn't work, but it clearly doesn't. Heroin has been controlled since the end of the nineteenth century and a lot of people still take it. Quite a few of them end up dying from taking it. That doesn't strike me as being a particularly successful policy.