Should drugs be legalised?

Should drugs be legalised?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Should drugs be legalised?

• Yes
    • No
    • Its not a yes/no question
    • Undecided

And the record for longest post has to go to: Fjool! Flamin' hell! I'm having to lay aside time for this thread, it take me a while to type, you know.

Besides, even if Leah had taken nothing but water, in the quantities she did, then she may still have died. This is a simple fact which the anti-drug lobbyists will simply not address in issues such as these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecstasy_%28drug%29

Dehydration is a risk among users who are physically active and forget to drink water, as the drug may mask one's normal sense of exhaustion and thirst.

Say the government does legalize Ecstacy. The side effects (non-lethal though they are) will still be there and I'm sure that once legal, people are going to think it's safe. Thinking they are safe, you'll have people popping their clogs all over the shop. Water could end up killing more than the plague (probable over statement :wink: ). It'll only take a couple of Leah Betts a year and make no mistake, the govenment will be set upon by all sorts of parents groups and swiftly booted out of office.

Individuals can be spoken to and taught and will be safe to look after themselves but the populus has people that are going to 'spoil' it for everyone by killing themselves as a result of taking drugs. It's these lowest common denominator that the laws are there to protect.

Yes, people are killed on daily basis by smoking and alcohol but it's by long term illnesses like cancers and liver failure. These can take a long time to kill and by the time of death, its hardly mentioned about the smoking, it's just another poor sod taken by the big C. Drugs tend to have quick effects (although i'm not forgetting about mental problems brought on by long term cannabis usage) and a finger can quickly pointed at the 'culprit' substance. Not good for PR and not good for potential legalization. Legalize it one day and some poor smuck dies the nex,t having bought a legal ecstacy tablet which they might not have considered the day before because it was illegal and straight away, you'll have HUGE public outcry. All those people that didn't take part in the original debate will suddenly have an opinion.

Give me a couple of hours to read through the rest of your post and I'll be back... :) SS.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holland have also acted to actively and pretty severely curb the number of coffee shops selling Cannabis there since the '90's, thereby imposing greater controls and restrictions and reducing the number of persons using cannabis, whilst not re-criminalising them. They also report that their population tends to be more experimental with Cannabis, moving on/quitting (most just quit) after some time, whereas here, the picture tends to go another way, with a higher percentage using steadily, for a lot longer.

The same is said of alcohol (yes, that other drug of choice) in this country, where abuse tends to be far higher and last a lot longer (i.e. throughout abusers' lifetimes) than in many European countries. Answers as to why on the back of a postage stamp to

"How Long Is A Piece Of String?"

PO Box 323

Strawberry Fields.

Holland ... also report that their population tends to be more experimental with Cannabis, moving on/quitting (most just quit) after some time, whereas here, the picture tends to go another way, with a higher percentage using steadily, for a lot longer.

This is an interesting idea. Assuming that this is an accurate description of the situation, how much of this is down to the fact that it is available\prohibited? What other factors make the Dutch less likely to be chronic users?

And the record for longest post has to go to: Fjool! Flamin' hell!

Yeah, sorry man. Don't pay too much heed to my waffling.

Guest Anonymous

I remember reading one yearly statistic in the mid nineties that in that year 4 people had died after taking ecstacy and 7 people had died after having an allergic reaction to eating peanuts.

I dont think all this linking cannabis to failure in mental wellbeing holds much clout , there are plenty who go schizo never having smoked anything , people die before there time and all they have ever had is fresh air.

I will never encourage any type of drug use by any one , and it would be great to think we could all enjoy ourselves naturally without havig to distort reality in some way.

But that is not the nature of the human condition , many people enjoy letting lose in on way or another and I dont think that will ever change .

There has to be a better way to work with this rather than working against it as it has proven to get nowhere as regards reducing the problems associated with substance abuse.

Guest Anonymous

I hear d sherlock have they really been reducing the coffee shops I have been there 4 times in the last 14 years and all the same shops i saw the first time were still in business the last , the one thing that i did notice that had changed was ther were steadily less junkies and crackheads wandering the streets , maybe they had all died of but something was working that new ones were not replacing them.

Guest Anonymous

sorry sherlock , just been scanning over the report ( very interesting)

yes foolish of me to think that just because the few establishments that i visited were still there,

Anyway i feel now i have said my last on this debate , as it could go on and on .

It wont affect me really either way what they do as regards substance control as i am a legal eagle these days., I also had my last drink on the 6th jan , gona try teetotalism as well just for the sheer hell of it.

I'm afraid I kinda agree with you there Styles! It probably says more about me than "them", but I'm always rather suspicious of people in Scotland who don't drink, unless it's for religious or medical reasons I suppose. It's not a very charitable outlook I admit, but its prejudice I must confess to harbouring nonetheless!