Should drugs be legalised?

Should drugs be legalised?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Should drugs be legalised?

• Yes
    • No
    • Its not a yes/no question
    • Undecided

I agree if drugs were legal the amount of addicts could well decrease. It would be less cool as mentioned before and people with drug habits would get more help to quit and would not be stigmatised by thier community.

Also with the correct help it is possible to be a drug addict and a fully

functioning member of society. The cleanest least harmful drug which is actually heroin(believe it or not) can, if taken properly, be used for years on end without causing harm. It's what it's mixed with delivery techniques(injecting with dirty needles) that cause problems.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree turrifield. There are children born with heroin addictions, and very often they get the medical attention they need. They are put on methadone until they are old/strong enough to be weaned off it, but you can't help but wonder how many parents worldwide give their children "dirty" heroin just to keep them alive.

Also, I can't remember if it was in this forum I read this or not, but down south they have daycare centres for heroin addict parents to take their children too. They get their methadone in the morning and then go on trips with their children through the day.

Obviously all illegal drugs couldn't justify being leagalised. You couldn't have some nutter taking E's and magic mushrooms and then going to the cross in the middle of the day on a Saturday (or any time for that matter), however I do agree that legalizing certian drugs would make them less "cool". It's a very difficult situation with no easy remedy, but it definately needs to be carefully scrutinized by the government.

Obviously all illegal drugs couldn't justify being leagalised. You couldn't have some nutter taking E's and magic mushrooms and then going to the cross in the middle of the day on a Saturday (or any time for that matter).

I'm not so sure about that PoolHaddock.

Most people don't drink a bottle of whisky and go to the cross at Saturday lunchtime. That's because most people, while they have the ability to do so if they wish, realise that it would be foolish and irresponsible.

I am quite sure that the same would be true if Es were freely available from the Wine Shop. Drugs, legal and otherwise, do not automatically turn everyone who takes them into rabid, insane enemies of society. Some people have problems with drug dependancy, others take drugs in a recreational manner and also live full and worthwhile lives.

People should be given the knowledge to make informed decisions about what they want to take. The stigma (and therefore the mystique, as others have mentioned) should be removed from currently illegal drugs. If people find that they have problems with dependancy they should helped and not vilified and driven to the edges of society.

Yes, I agree we d aboot that McFly. I maybe didna pick a very good example. What I mean is that a blanket leagalisation of all illegal drugs wouldn't be the best option. Different drugs have different effects, certain ones worse than others.

To take an example, there was a guy in Shetland who took a lot of magic mushrooms and damn near killed himself with a screwdriver. Drugs like this can have very exteme and sometimes long term psychological effects.

I'm no niave enough tae think that this will happen in every case, it's just that I feel it wid need tae be a peerie bit more complicated than either being legal or illegal. Perhaps a modified version of the prescription system would work.

To take an example, there was a guy in Shetland who took a lot of magic mushrooms and damn near killed himself with a screwdriver.

I agree with you that it's not an easy issue.

However, the example you give above is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. The fact that Mushrooms are illegal didn't stop the guy from nearly killing himself. Maybe better knowledge, and an ability to control doses would have?

I know there's no way that I can prove that this is the case, but all I'm really trying to say is that surely it is clear that prohibition does not stop people doing stupid things with drugs, and would it not be best to have an open debate about alternative methods?

I agree if drugs were legal the amount of addicts could well decrease. It would be less cool as mentioned before

Alcohol and smoking are allowed, but they're still regarded cool, so allowing is not the remedy.

people with drug habits would get more help to quit and would not be stigmatised by thier community.

What kind of help will they get that they're not getting now? I think that the fact that drugs are hard available and expensive prevents from taking them too often, it's kinda ban too. When someone is under the influence he doesn't have control and can take an overdose, many addicts die of that. You can change laws so that it would be easier for them to apply for medical treatment, but that isn't equal to legalising drugs to open sale.

After all would you want to live in a town where everyone can get drugs? I'm sure it will always end in tears.

I aready live in a town where everyone can get drugs. I agree that alcohol is regarded as cool by some but I think the tide is turning against smoking. It seem as if some people writting here see drug user/addicts as complete nutters with no self respect or restraint who just bumble around taking what ever drugs they see in front of them. Please join the real world.

What kind of help will they get that they're not getting now?

Well for a start they wouldn't be getting jail sentences, which hardly help junkies to reform themselves into valuable members of society.

Also, (and I know this could be accomplished through legislation which falls short of full legalisation) proper heroin prescription programs could be implemented. I've read about a few small scale trials along these lines that have had major success in weaning addicts off it.

After all would you want to live in a town where everyone can get drugs?

I do!

And I'm sure you do too.

In a country (UK) where so much trouble is caused by people using hard drugs I just think that canabis should be ignored by the police and the courts when there are so many other things (young thugs at the cross, catching heroin dealers) that would be a better use of their time.

Might also be a good idea to have secure units that drug addicts could be sent to for treatment.....prisons being for punishment.

Keep the drugs lethal and unclean. Its like nature stepping in and saying "thats what you get for taking drugs".

Oh, grow up!

Do you have anything constructive to say?

When people on xtc come to your party and first punch you in the head then make a huge mess then kick in your walls thus making you have to phone the police on your own house, maybe you can see why I hate drugs.

Fair enough I think that we shouldn't legalise even cannabis, but I understand the view point that if someone wants to get stoned in the privacy of thier own house then thats alright, there is nothing wrong with that. But at all people at parties that i've been to cause trouble because they're on drugs, not because they're too drunk.

But at all people at parties that i've been to cause trouble because they're on drugs, not because they're too drunk.

Well, I can't argue with your own personal experience JA, but I haven't found that myself.

In my experience drunk people cause far more problems of disorder than those on any other kind of drug, and I suspect most people will have found the same thing.

The police certainly have done. The cells in police stations up and down the country are full, on a Saturday night, of drunk people. Not stoners or pilled up clubbers.