What now for Freedom of Speech?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the impression, despite his upbringing, that Eminems raps are similar to what would come out of a rich white boy rapper.

I turn you to these lyrics by a good band, Toupe

"Mommy! Mommy never beat him,

Daddy! Daddy never ****ed him!

LIES! Lies sell the record

shucks! Is on the record!"

... I think you'd find it harder to make the above distinction between the poems and certain gangsta rap lyrics, which do appear to celebrate the shooting of policemen, other rappers, "bitches", and anybody else who happens to be around.

Again, I can't claim to understand the music, but, assuming they do encourage shooting people, do you think that they should be allowed?

Regarding the "cool" thing. I agree with you DamnSaxon, but when I was a teenager the rebellion thing never got beyond a bit of dope smoking, skyving school, graffiti, that sort of thing. Beheading fantasies are something slightly more worrying I'm sure you'll agree.

:)

... I think you'd find it harder to make the above distinction between the poems and certain gangsta rap lyrics, which do appear to celebrate the shooting of policemen, other rappers, "bitches", and anybody else who happens to be around.

Again, I can't claim to understand the music, but, assuming they do encourage shooting people, do you think that they should be allowed?

Short answer: yes. I'm sure the world could struggle on without gangsta rap, but once you've banned NWA's Straight Outta Compton, it's a very small step to banning American Psycho ( sexual violence ), and the Merchant of Venice ( anti-Semitism ).

^^^ If these things promote sexual violence and anti-semitism then what is the problem? Couldn't the world "struggle on" without them? Wouldn't it be a better place without them?

I'd like to encourage everyone, the next time they see Evil Inky in non-cyber space, to hit him over the head with a stick! It'll be really funny, and do him the world of good.

:wink: :wink:

Or, I could "encourage" a hitman to "take-you-out-proper-like" with a wod of cash. What is the difference? Direct instruction as opposed to glamorisation? That doesn't cut it for me.

^^^ If these things promote sexual violence and anti-semitism then what is the problem? Couldn't the world "struggle on" without them? Wouldn't it be a better place without them?

Are you seriously suggesting we ban The Merchant of Venice ( as in the play by William Shakespeare ) ?

I know Shakespeare only marginally better than I know Cannibal Corpse, so I couldn't tell you if anti-semitism is promoted in it in the same way as infidel murder is promoted by these lyrics.

Surely you are not saying anti-semitism is OK, so I assume there is some difference. The gangster rap comparison was, I think, about the best so far.

Regarding the "cool" thing. I agree with you DamnSaxon, but when I was a teenager the rebellion thing never got beyond a bit of dope smoking, skyving school, graffiti, that sort of thing. Beheading fantasies are something slightly more worrying I'm sure you'll agree.

:)

Darn tootin' right. (Pun intended.) I've no problem with people having a bit of fun among themselves, but where this lot differ from our generation is that we used to try to avoid f*cking it up for other people. But I still think that governmental "promotion" raises its status & appeal.

• 2 weeks later...

This is quite interesting too (half an hours worth):

http://doughty.gdbtv.com/player.php?h=05d4c71ddc2f70ec3093e94e9777c83f

Tryl himself is on it and talks a lot of sense.

They get onto the "incite" laws, which I think is at the centre of it. I'd phrase the law "incitement to illegal violence". I'm no lawyer but I think libel laws would cover everything else I'm concerned about.

• 2 weeks later...