Do you miss Shetland when you're no there?

JAStewart

Last year I went south to see my family (yes, I am a soothmoother!) and when the plane landed at Sumburgh, for some wierd reason I burst into tears and sat in the plane crying with relief and happiness that I was "home".

Been there, done that. The first thing I do is to take a deep breath and try to use the ever present wind to blow the smog of the city out of my system. I've only been here for just over three years, but I can no longer tolerate the cramped fume filled existence that is the big cities.

In answer to the OP, yes I do miss Shetland when I'm not here.

Yes I do miss Shetland when I'm not here but then I miss the Mainland when I'm up here. Unfortunately it isn't possible to have both. The things I miss fae sooth just wouldn't work up here. Though a Markies food hall and a Lydl would be awfull nice.

The Worst thing about being up here though has to be how hard it is to get off the island. It can be a wee bit financially prohibitive.

Ive been away for nearly 2 years and yes some days I do miss Shetland but I think that it is my family and friends that I miss the most.

Saying that though, when I visit I sometimes get an overwhelming sense of happiness and become very patriotic about it, I tend to look at the scenery and appreciate it more, its like falling in love with the island again, wow that was a bit heavy, sorry!!

But I do love living on the mainland and after about a week I start missing my flat and all the things that I have down here, but thats just me.

:)

• 1 year later...

I have been away in the central belt for 5 years now.

I miss Shetland still but it's Northlink and being scared of flying that stops me going back more often. I wish i could teleport myself to Shetland once a month. I miss the people more than the place itself.

I get off the island once a year to do a tour of the relatives. I am always glad to get back. I have been here for twenty years and I think it would take more than that to settle south if I ever moved away. In two years time I will be able to go away twice a year if I wanted to. Its a pity you cant sell your free trips.

Guest Catlover

When me an my family and my sister went to the eurowaltdisney park in france,paris, then i thought id would be nice to have the same in shetland but i dont know if we could what with the whether and all hahaha

• 1 month later...

Hi I would like to tell you all what you missed (if you were not in the town) one afternoon this week.

We will start at the Market Cross and make our way to Boots .

We get as far as the Red Cross charity shop and have to come to a complete halt,teenage motherts and their friends ensuring that your way is well and truly blocked,get past them and endure their stupid screeching in your ear as you pass.

You than have to get as close to the shop walls as you can to let a large van past. We have made it as far as Loose Ends only to have a near miss with a car,seconds later to be bashed into by an idiot doing wheelies on a bike.

Clives Record shop was on my elderly Aunts shopping list, however as we aproached there was a crowd of at least six seedy looking teenagers spitting ,spitting, and spitting.we decided not to go in. Went to Boots then went to catch the five past five bus.

That is a story in itself,we were forced on to the road (by dirty smelly unclean depraved well I supose they could be called humans in the loosest terms) Just as my Aunt was getting herself on to the bus she was pushed to one side by one of these cretins. We got on board and had to put up with the foulest languge you could ever hear being shouted very loudly the “F†and “C†words were used frequently,one of the dirt bags even wiped the soles of his shoes clean on the seat, the noise was unbearable.The bus driver was sitting in his seat letting all this take place while he chatted to his chum.

I looked around at the other people on the bus and they all had the same look on their faces, one of resignation and in one case apprehension as she was sitting near them.

Its time Leasks ran a bus service that people can travel on without fear of louts who were in fact causing a breach of the peace.

My Aunt has declared she will never set foot on it again and is convinced she will have been smitten with TB.

Guest posiedon

You (and your aunt) have my sympathies Audrey B, I can't understand why traffic (other than delivery vehicles) is allowed on the street at any time.

My Aunt has declared she will never set foot on it again and is convinced she will have been smitten with TB.

I don't think you need to worry too much about being smitten, only god can "smite" :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I don't think you need to worry too much about being smitten, only god can "smite" :lol:

Yea mercy feth da Loard can smite,

Meybe wis, fir spaekin sh*te,

Bit never wid he ventir neer,

Da street wi aa da bairns an beer.

A'm certin dat da Loard wid byde,

Upö da toon's better side,

If he wis geen da shanse ta say,

He'd byde bewast da Toonhall Brae.

An if he traiveled on a bus,

Ta hear da wye da drunk bairns cus,

Da only tocht dat he'd hae dan,

Is, "Whaur guid I wrang whan I med man".

:wink: