Which Island of Shetland is the best?

JAStewart

Mousa is definitely the Queen of Islands. Land of my fathers. There is a certain peaceful magic about the place. And of course its romantic and historical broch. Nothing better than to stay overnight and waken to the tranquillity of a Mousa dawn.

I would have to agree with all of that although I've not had the experience of staying there overnight yet.

I spent a magical day there on Sunday, 22 May, 2005 and although I'm not really that superstitious, it looks like it might be a good idea to go on Sunday 24th May this year too. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
I do like Unst, but I've never been to a bad isle on Shetland yet :D

I have never been to Unst, but if things go the way they are going I will be a regular visitor..

But for now, StNinians does it for me, tho I have also had some good walks on Bressay, and there is a wee cairn I built there with the kids last century, will have to go back to see if it is still standing..

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I don't know where the best place to post this is but...

If you'd like to sample life on a remote island, but a lot nearer to home, try Foula, 14 miles west of the rest of the Shetlands. No shops, no law, the post office is somebody's porch . . . quite an experience. Main hazard very aggressive birds.

Jenny McWilliam, Leicester

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8465785.stm

No law??? :shock:

If you'd like to sample life on a remote island, but a lot nearer to home, try Foula, 14 miles west of the rest of the Shetlands. No shops, no law, the post office is somebody's porch . . . quite an experience. Main hazard very aggressive birds.

Finally somewhere I can run my illegal cage fighting tournament where the authorities can't stop me, I can even call it a legal cage fighting tournament, thank you Jenny McWilliam from Leicester (is that on Foula)

Quite like Papa Stour on a bonnie day, da banks around da Wast side really is somthing else both fae land an fae da boat.

Also like Papa Little on a simmers day, a fine walk aroond da back tae da Hams its got a fine warm sandy beach, peace an quiet!! :wink:

No resident Police, but the scalloway police do make regular visits in his police in the community capacity.

• 2 years later...

It would have to be Unst. It's my fave place out of everywhere. The island I consider *home* - really wish it was but it's not to be, yet! Been to Fetlar, Yell, Mainland and Mousa but I'm always glad to get *home* to Unst! I love it do much! Back there again in 16 days after just over a month away.