Skills Shortage

BigMouth

Shetland employers are no different to employers on the mainland. There are many of them that are happy to whine about a lack of trained workers available. It doesn't matter what trade you talk about, plumbers, brickies, teachers, bus drivers or joiners, none of them were born with the skills, they all had to be taught. So why do these clever entrepreneurs and captains of industry have so much difficulty grasping what is surely a given? What is your employer like for training. Do they proudly display one of those Investors in People signs, yet haven't sent anyone on a course since God was a boy?

THERE ARE MANY CONTRACTORS AT SULLOM VOE TERMINAL,PERHAPS HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE EMPLOYED THERE,BUT YOU DONT SEE MANY JOB OPPORTUNITIES IN THE LOCAL RAG.I KNOW OF AT LEAST ONE COMPANY THAT HAS,AS FAR AS IM AWARE,NEVER ADVERTISED ANY POSITIONS.I DO KNOW THERE ARE MANY "TRAVELLERS"WORKING THERE,PERHAPS IF BP AND THERE PARTNERS POLICED THEIR CONTRACTORS A BIT BETTER,THEN SHETLAND WOULD HAVE A BETTER TRAINED AND COMPITENT WORKFORCE.THIS WOULD ALSO BE BENIFICIAL TO THE SHETLAND ECONOMY. :!:

Guest Anonymous

Interesting topic.

Unfortuntely there does seem to be a society at the moment whereby the skills can not be found in Shetland. When the oil arrived I didn't see a lot of resources being put into educating the children of the time to become "Big Oil Executives", or, for that matter, "Teaboy on an Oilrig". Likewise, now, I see no effort by the council or other major employers on employing local people.

When the "SHETLAND BRAND" got touted around, when did we first hear about it? It was when a London agency had completed their "Logo". Did nobody within the SIC think about contacting anybody within Shetland to see what they could design? I would be interested to know what some secondary schoool pupils would have come up with had they been promised the fee that the design agency ended up with.

It should never be forgotten that even with a small community (many of them (us?), idiotic fools), there are also many talented people. I am a strong believer that if you are going to promote yourself you should do it internally. If you can't do that then you shouldn't be promoting yourself in the first place.