moving to unst

catalina

we are considering a move to Unst and have a few questions about the area.

studying - where do students study? is the college in lerwick the only one in shetland? do students stay in lerwick during term time? we have an 18 year old daughter who is still in college.

what shops are there on unst for basic grocery shopping - what are the prices like? how much is diesel on the island?

what facilities are there on Yell?

is it true the ferry to Yell from Unst is free?

what's the best and worst things about living on Unst?

tia, Catalina :wink:

Hi there Catalina.

There are a few decent basic grocery shops on unst that you'll be able to get all the essentials from. Food shopping should never be a problem really. The final checkout even has a little cafe that serves a mean reestit mutton soup! It's probably my personal favourite little cafe in Shetland. :wink: Prices are reasonable. Possibly slightly more expensive than the supermarkets in town, but not by much. The staff are really friendly too.

Diesel is probably around 108p a litre (anybody know exactly what it is?). It varies a lot. It's not cheap though!

Facilities on Yell are excellent, as on Unst. The leisure centres are nice, well equiped and very modestly priced for what you get. We have some of the best leisure facilities in britain. There are reasonably regular events in the local halls (bands playing, whist drives etc.), although not always everyones cup of tea! Oh, speaking of tea, some do Sunday teas too.

Yes, the ferry between Unst Yell and Fetlar is free up until April 2008. Remember, you still have to pay on the Mainland-Yell ferry. That costs £7.60 return for a car and driver. Passengers are £3.20 return, and a multi-journey ticket for 10 return trips of a car and driver (which works out much cheaper!) is about £60.

As for the college thing, you'd be best to visit their website for details.

http://www.shetland.uhi.ac.uk/

The best things about living on Yell is probably the quiet, the community, the safety and the scenery! Same as Unst I'd imagine! :wink: The people are generally nice wherever you go.

The worst things, well, for an 18 year old it could be a bit boring. For a 'decent' night out, you really have to go down to town (assuming there's not something on in the local halls. A decent night in a country hall can be 100 times more fun than a night in the town!). Although the facilities are fantastic, there isn't an abundance of them! The weather can be a harsh mistress if you're not used to it!!

One other thing. The distance to the Mainland (of Shetland) from Unst is a long journey with two ferries involved, which shouldn't really be an issue if you don't intend to go down too often. It does mean though, that your daughter would probably be better off finding digs in town for the week if she did end up in college there. I'd recommend that actually. I stayed in accomodation 5 days a week while I attended the high school. It's by far the easiest way of meeting new friends and having a blast at the same time, but not having to worry about a 4 hours of travelling every day!

Mostly, I'd say that the good things tend to far outweigh the not-so-good things.

All in all though, Shetland is a wonderful place to live, and it doesn't take moving away to realise that(!), although I am typing this from Mainland Scotland. The thing I am most looking forward to just now is going home for the festive and having a decent tune! - which reminds me - World class tradtional music scene!

Good Luck!

Diesel is probably around 108p a litre (anybody know exactly what it is?). It varies a lot. It's not cheap though!

Poolhaddock, methinks you've been away too long! It was 119.9p a litre in Lerwick yesterday! Dont suppose Unst is much different. Seems to be going up every day just now. Maybe fair to say it's probably around 10p a litre more than mainland city prices.

Catalina, I'm sure you'ld enjoy life in Shetland as long as you appreciate that the Odeon, Marks & Sparks and Pizza Hut are off limits apart from holidays, there's more than enough going on here to compensate as long as you're the type that will muck in and join in with what's going on (and be prepared for a blustery winter). And it's got to be the best place in Britain to bring up kids.

Poolhaddock, methinks you've been away too long! It was 119.9p a litre in Lerwick yesterday! Dont suppose Unst is much different. Seems to be going up every day just now. Maybe fair to say it's probably around 10p a litre more than mainland city prices.

Honestly? My god. It'll nae doubt be more in Unst an Yell if dats what it is in Lerwick! Hmm... onybody want a 2.8 litre Capri? :wink:

Oh, another point you might want to consider Catalina - you might come across the odd delusional islander from time to time. :wink:

I wouldn't worry though. They're a relatively harmless and simple people. Humour them and you'll be fine.

Muppet, the price is aboot 103p a litre fir diesel in Aberdeen joost noo. Might swap me suitcase fir a couple o' drums o petrol!