Broadband speed

Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

Hello, the Burravoe exchange was upgraded a couple o months ago to 8mb.

However, the person at BT told me that our house could not yet receive 8mb broadband and that when we could a letter would be sent to us to let us know.

We still haven't received a letter and I'm starting to think the BT lady was talking nonsense. Why would an exchange that serves 127 houses take several weeks to upgrade?

It's not just the equipment in the exchange that needs to be upgraded, the backhaul links also have to be upgraded. One of the reasons why some exchanges had/have only 0.5Mbps services is because the exchanges didn't have fibre to them. They use microwave links which will most probably need to be upgraded as well. That said, the expected completion date for Burravoe is long since passed.

speedtest.net is not particularly accurate.

but

If you do use it then don't select Aberdeen as the server. ADSL in Shetland is most probably broken out in London. If you select Aberdeen as your test site then you are testing how fast it takes for data to go almost twice the length of the country. Pick a site closer to London for a slightly more accurate ping time. (there won't be much in it though). The Aberdeen server seems to be a bit flakey in general though anyway.

My rather optomistic result from speedtest.net

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1013206701.png

I would suggest trying the speed tester at www.thinkbroadband.com

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/128864272053774217124.png

but the only way of getting a very accurate result (for BT customers) is to use the BT speed test. http://speedtester.bt.com/ (but it does not seem to be working just now).

It would also be very handy if you put which exchange you were connected to when you posted your speeds... especially if your connection is not working as you would expect.

Cheers

Marvin

Broadband down at East Voe as well , talked to BT this morning and the best advice they could give me was to keep trying their fault number every 2/3 days until the problem was fixed :evil: :evil: , it could take at least a week as its a big problem , don't quite understand that if other parts of Shetland are still online though as he said it was a problem on the mainland !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BT Wholesale have issued a notice saying that it should be fixed by lunchtime today (Wednesday).

I take that back.... another notice has just been issued. They are stating an estimated time of 18.00 but it also says engineers have been 'tasked to site'.... so I'm guessing they don't really know what has gone wrong yet.