Broadband speed

Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

I am with Tiscali and apart from the well publicised outages caused by something odd in Edinburgh and a most unexpected flash of lightning on Sanday I seem to get round about 5 of my supposed 8mbs broadband during the day. Evenings are another matter with speeds below dial up at times ans rarely more than 1mbs.

What I am wondering is if this is due completely or in part to BT who seem to control all the electronics cutting my bandwidth so their subscribers can watch on demand TV while I cannot even watch a news clip from the BBC?.

ihear from my daughter that they are killing the internet from 12-6pm. any truth in this. with all this outage are we going to get a rebate.

In theory - no.

In simple terms there is equipmet set A if that fails they switch to equiment set B. What seems to have happened is that both sets are faulty. But they won;t admit that. So, tonight one set of equipment is being replaced and they can then swith to that and with a bit of luck that might rectify things. But when I see the words 'hopefully rectifying' I would not put too much money on it.

Besides the well-publicised outages last week, my broadband was fine, until late yesterday evening. In the middle of watching iplayer, which had been behaving perfectly, then boomf, connection still there but barely.

Spent this afternoon on the phone to my ISP, they were of zero help and made me do all the things I had explained to them I had done already (foreign call centre - grrrrr - don't think they could understand english and the line quality was dreadful), this of course took up almost the entire afternoon, and the call was NOT free...

Is anyone else having trouble like this?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1023457542.png

Still, a funny thing happened to me today to more than make up for this.... I will post in another thread ;)

I guess it should mean that problems in Sanday won't affect us any more.

But there again would we be better waiting for the submarine cable to be repaired or the Sanday to Scousborough microwave link ??

A break in any of the submarine cables would not make any difference to service unlike the microwave link. Access to the Faroese cable with give Shetland resilient services on 3 different fibre optic cable connections to London.

So are you saying there are 3 Faroese cables or 3 connections to 1 Faroese cable ?, also a bit worried about this :-

ï‚· Full broadband service (at least 4-8Mbps) to 80% of Shetland population by 2011. ( from your pdf doc ) also this :- They are also thought to be reaching the limits of their capacity..... I sincerely hope Shetland Telecom is not starting to pump millions into this project on the premise that BT is thought to be reaching their capacity !

So are you saying there are 3 Faroese cables or 3 connections to 1 Faroese cable ?, also a bit worried about this :-

ï‚· Full broadband service (at least 4-8Mbps) to 80% of Shetland population by 2011. ( from your pdf doc ) also this :- They are also thought to be reaching the limits of their capacity..... I sincerely hope Shetland Telecom is not starting to pump millions into this project on the premise that BT is thought to be reaching their capacity !

Yes, there are three cables - Shefa2, Farice and Danice.

http://www.sovereign-publications.com/images/ftnet/Faroese-Telecom-network.jpg

The SIC project is to put in place two fibre optic cables from Lerwick to the Faroese cable. For the SIC network to lose connection to the UK it would require two breaks in the cable (one northbound and one southbound) at the same time.

On the other point.... all I can reference in a public forum is that demand for increased bandwidth from customers in Shetland (I'm not speaking about ADSL but uncontended services) has not been met. The reliance on microwave links is just not a viable situation for off-island bandwidth (as this last week has proven). The microwave links are also not capable of sustaining the significant increase in bandwidth required for NGA.

What I can say in a public forum (because you can get the prices online if look hard enough) is that as an example of the distance based tarrifs:-

100Mbps ethernet/internet connection (if the bandwidth was available)

Lerwick £250,0000

Aberdeen £14,000 [/img]

BT are not accepting that there are any problems for customers in Shetland....

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/November/news/Scott%20demands%20BT%20sort%20out%20broadband.htm

A BT spokesman said that BT Wholesale, the company’s arm that receives fault reports about broadband connections, had reported just “a couple of faults†from individual customers in Lerwick.

“If people are experiencing difficulties they need to report any issues to their ISPs (internet service providers) and the ISPs need to flag up to BT if they think the problem is in the BT network – it could of course be the customers’ own equipment or the ISPs,†he said.

Either laugh or cry... your choice.....

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/November/letters/Register%20slow%20broadband.htm

BT advised this morning (Tuesday) that all known ADSL faults affecting Shetland had been cleared. Despite this, it is clear that the problem of slow speeds and difficulty connecting at all is still widespread.

In an effort to convince BT that they really do still have a big problem, Shetland Broadband is compiling a dossier of known connection problems.

If you are experiencing slower than usual speeds or are having connection difficulties, and would like to have your details added to that submission, then please send details to slowadsl@shetland.co.uk

The minimum information needed is the telephone line number, the normal speed and current speed.

This is not a substitute for reporting the problem to your own supplier, but an effort to try and speed up the repair response from BT.

Ian Brown

Shetland Broadband

Everybody still having problems should send an e-mail to Ian and help him compile a dossier...... well done Ian!

My broadband seems to be returned to normal.... I hope yours has too...

Having seen that there was a thread about broadband, I tried to load this page up and it has taken me 35 minutes, covering about 8 attempts, just to get to read the last page of this thread.

This is really bad at the moment but it would seem that we just have to sit it out. What else can we do other than train up some carrier pigeons?

Been quite shocked my download speed just jumped by 1.2mb/s but my upload speed halved, started using SIW so no pretty picture to show, but surely if the download speed increases so should the upload?

I really like this SIW thing but I wish I knew what all the facts and figures meant.