Broadband speed

Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

Thanks for the detailed reply Marvin, esp the clarity on the existing fibre cables. Remain to be convinced about the costings of the project, obviously an alternate routing is required to give diversity, just think we could have benefited from a little more pressure down the political route...

Thanks for the detailed reply Marvin, esp the clarity on the existing fibre cables. Remain to be convinced about the costings of the project, obviously an alternate routing is required to give diversity, just think we could have benefited from a little more pressure down the political route...

No problem Stilldellin. Always happy to provide info when I get the chance.

I know what you mean about the political route but after 4 years of knocking down doors I've come to the conclusion that this is the best option for Shetland.

Hm... I actually doubt this speed is right considering the last 1/4 of the download test took 4 minutes.

For example, it took me 2 minutes just to open my Gmail inbox, something that takes literally seconds normally. This is an utter joke :-/

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1024379380.png

For example, it took me 2 minutes just to open my Gmail inbox, something that takes literally seconds normally. This is an utter joke :-/

E-mail the details to slowadsl@shetland.co.uk

The more people that report the problems the better.... Include your phone number and the time of the problem.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/November/letters/Register%20slow%20broadband.htm

Hm... I actually doubt this speed is right considering the last 1/4 of the download test took 4 minutes.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1024379380.png

I'm getting exactly the same speeds as you, on our BT Business account.

I'd report it to them, but I've learned from long experience that phoning them just ties up the line for fifteen minutes or more and never produces any concrete information or help whatsoever, and oddly enough the "Report or track a fault" link on their website doesn't seem to lead to a page where you can actually report a fault.

Last night 66kbps connection - useless

Spoke to Plus-Net technical support this lunch time, he reconed my connection was to a "frame" that had problems, he suggested I turn off my router for 1/2 an hour, this would force it to reconnect / link to another "frame" without problems.

Plus-Net piggybacks on BT so might be worth a try

It is almost un-usable here in Cunningsburgh. My BBC homepage took about 12 minutes to load up whereas, for some reason, Shetlink took only a minute or so to come through.

Often, you can get a homepage reasonably well and it gets stuck clicking on a page within a website.

I had bid for something on ebay a couple of days ago and the item was finishing last night. I couldn't get through to up my bid so lost out on the item.

How much longer have we got to put up with such a crap service?

Just off the phone from BT broadband support. Spent 50 minutes going round and round checking all manner of settings, disconnecting every PC except one, running a speed test, and the guy telling me that the problem was at MY end.

And then while I was talking to the guy, I checked Shetlink and saw Marvin's post....

Me (to BT guy): "Apparently BT Wholesale has said there's a problem. How come you didn't know that?"

BT Guy: "Oh, they'll tell us eventually."