Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

Thankfully, back to normal again this morning:-

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1102290487.png

Seems that as soon as the snow starts falling the drop in speed really hits us.

Is it snow on the dishes, or just overload on some other system, or ...???

...and strange that is was specifically Lerwick and Sumburgh that were worst, while other places were fine....

Confused...

Oh you lucky people... I can't even get speedtest to fire up properly, so many dropouts on the line (I'm in Mossbank with Plusnet) the site is taking several minutes to load, and it just tried to test via a "recommended" server in Trondheim!

Using a more reliable site, I manage to get 200-300kb/s sustained (usually up to 1.5Mb), but as with all these test sites there is a huge jump at the last second which skews the result. Anyone know why that is? It's like the bottleneck is suddenly released, I once got something like 18Mb displayed, on a line that cannot support more than about 2Mb at this distance from the exchange.

My own experience is compounded by problems after the thunderstorms a few weeks ago - a lightning nearmiss took out the surge arrest circuit on my phone (but weirdly not the mains arrest bit on the same plugboard) and seems to have caused a short on my extension wiring so I was unable to dial out of the house.. yet the router was not affected despite not being protected!

Mine is running at a sixth of the normal speed I get and has been like this for the past three days. I made the mistake of phoning BT and got the usual

"its your equipment" that must be faulty as the line is ok.

If you go onto BT site they have a "wish to complain" tab, but once selected, it dosnt continue onto a link. I think it is thier way of keeping the complaints down.

I sent them emails before about reducing my bill because I had no service for over 10 days, but as expected they never aknowledge or reply and bill as normal.

It seems that we just have to put up with a second class service.

Glad to report mine is good now too,

I take it back

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                            192.168.2.10 -    0 |    6 |    6 |    0 |    2 |   15 |    0 |
|          lo0-central2.ptn-ag01.plus.net -   17 |    6 |    5 |  750 |  849 |  953 |  843 |
|            gi2-11-121.ptn-gw01.plus.net -    0 |    5 |    5 |  688 |  809 |  985 |  765 |
|                    po6.thn-gw1.plus.net -    0 |    5 |    5 |  641 |  787 |  922 |  859 |
|                    po4.thn-gw2.plus.net -    0 |    5 |    5 |  672 |  815 |  953 |  813 |
|                      rt0.thdo.bbc.co.uk -    0 |    5 |    5 |  672 |  862 | 1016 |  922 |
|                          212.58.238.133 -    0 |    5 |    5 |  703 |  819 |  969 |  781 |
|              virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk -    0 |    5 |    5 |  719 |  800 |  875 |  719 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
  WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir  ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1107156064.png