Broadband speed

Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

They did make their suggestions and they've turned out to be unreasonable but, having said that, I was originally with BT and they were too expensive so I looked around and found Plusnet. They cost a lot less than what I had been paying so I dumped BT. The funny thing is, I suspect that Plusnet is owned by BT, hohum. Your ping is much better than mine, Colin, but that is possibly because of where I live. I'm a bit out in the sticks and that won't help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Delighted for these folk in the big smoke who can now access super fast broadband.

Hopefully this has not been at the expense of country areas. My broadband has been playing up over the last few weeks and at times can't even run a speed checker. I have to reset the router, then I get around 3 Mbps, which is less then half the 6.5 I normally get.

Funny though, they still take the full payment every month, not half. Perhaps it will settle down again, but meanwhile do I really have to phone BT to be told there's nothing wrong yet again?

Yay Sumburgh enabled and accepting orders, but not for me. I guess that my cabinet hasn't been upgraded. Thing is I don't ever recall seeing a cabinet yet. Hmmm.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/9503-faster-internet-for-some-leaves-politicians-wanting-more

[ooo my slinky pic walks again :D]

Edited by DizzyKipper

Oh well might be a while, doing some digging and it seems if you haven't already had your cabinet upgraded it might be a while.

This map (zoom in) shows the planned rollput of Shetland, though they seem to be a bit ahead of time. (2013)

The next phase of work on Shetland will start in the second half of 2015 and this will connect more people in Sumburgh, Cunningsburgh and Lerwick, it will also take services out to a number of new communities including Voe, Symbister, Brae, Scalloway and Sandwick.

From here

Any of you ordered it/got it yet?

Edited by DizzyKipper

This is the info from thinkbroadband.com   :-  Quote :-

Using our ever nimbly fingers we have managed to identify sixteen of the cabinets that have gone live, the majority are on the Lerwick exchange cabinets i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,15 and 16. Cunningsburgh cabinet 1 and Sumburgh cabinet 2 have also gone live. Fingers crossed that with a low median download speed currently of 5.5 Mbps and so many cabinets going live that when we look at the Q4 2014 speed test results in the New Year there will there signs of an uplift.

I know of at least one customer on Sumburgh who has managed to obtain an order for BT Infinity, got a date for connection end of this month, with BT.   :)

So near yet so far. I'll keep a look out for cabinets sprouting in my area then!

Don't suppose anyone has come across a map of cabinets in Shetland? Or is that a closely guarded Openreach secret?

Pretty much a guarded secret ;)

However if you enter your telephone number at https://www.dslchecker.bt.com it should show your cabinet details and what is available.

I could get it according to the BT website.  I don't see the point in paying extra money to get a speed that I should apparently be getting now anyway!  So unless I've misunderstood and it's a case of me signing up for a different package for the same price as my existing one, who in their right mind would want to pay extra money?  To get the same data allowances I have at present they want additional dosh.

Speed currently is 6.34mb so I could swap to a basic package giving me up to 17mb.  However, to get the same data allowance and speeds of up to 35mb, they want extra money ... I might phone them up and barter.