Broadband speed

Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

So what does it say for people who  know they have a cabinet? I don't see any cabinet details at all, not surprisingly.

[it also says my download range is 1 to 3.5Mbps when I get 5-6 Mbps?]

First you have to connected to the exchange via a cabinet - direct line to exchange means no cabinet = no cabinet services.

Next if connected to a cabinet - that cabinet has to be upgraded/enabled for the faster cabinet services. NOT all cabinets get enabled.

Lastly, you can still be too far from an enabled cabinet to get service. 2 km is about the limit and it wont be very exciting at that distance. There are some situations where standard ADSL is faster than VDSL - all down to distance from the exchange and distance from the cabinet.

If you are lucky ... BT Wholesale checker will conform your cabinet number and will give speed estimates for all the services available to you.

OK I get that, although I'm two miles from the exchange and still get 6Mb and have an SNR of 6. not quite sure why it's so good but I'm not complaining!

I am excited by fibre, I guess the 'rollout for the rest of Sumburgh' means people on the Sumburgh exchange who are directly connected will get cabinets in their area (hopefully!).

I have just read the article mentioned in the previous post - what absolute crap. So 'Bob' lives in a remote part of Shetland 9 miles up a single track road does he? Funny how he has such amazing BT coverage then for somewhere so apparently remote.

'Bob' wants to take responsibility for this story and remove it, as it simply promotes/pretends that all Shetland, however far away, has a wonderful broadband service which could not be further from the truth.

I emailed Brendon Dick, the BT man from the SCDI and he was seemingly far too busy to reply to me, simply getting a secretary to email me telling me that BT were checking my line before responding further - an act that was made even more amazing in that I did not state my home address or telephone number in the initial email.

Edited by Aaron Foord

Don't get me wrong - for all I know Mr Cree-Hay may have a wonderful broadband connection, and I have no problem with that. However, I DO have a problem with the fact that the article in question blatently promotes BT coverage in remote areas as being wonderful, something that is quite clearly - as anyone in Yell or Unst will tell you - untrue. I therefore have a problem with such promotion to be allowed that is mis-representation of the quality of service given by BT in Shetland.

http://cree-hay.co.uk/cv-and-bio.html

Edited by Aaron Foord

It's not the length of road that matters, it's the line distance to the exchange/quality of line etc. that determines broadband speed.

Having said that, if you live at the end of a 9 mile single track road, you shouldn't expect a 'blazing' connection as the nearest exchange is likely to be quite some distance away.

Do BT offer satellite/two tins and a bit of string?

Anyway, typical BT 'puff piece' that is probably best ignored or, if you can be bothered, reported to the ASA.

Wonder if they "cut a deal" to use the man's name/circumstances?

wonder if bob is connected via the councils system. he was working for them as a consultant it could explain his speed. there claim is of speeds upto 2.4mbs per sec for both areas. not super fast even if we ever had that speed. on a really nice day we have a speed of 1.

Find out how a Shetland resident relies on his BT Business broadband.

http://www.insight.bt.com/en/features/customer-story-bob-cree-hay

Ha ha ha, I've never laughed so much :-) This has to be one of those tounge in cheek adverts or is it a spoof?

If "Bob" is getting such good broadband speeds 9 mile up a side road, I would like to ask BT why I struggle at times and I could throw a stone and hit my exchange from my house.

As for the bit about Bob known help is only a phone call away.. He obviously hasn't had to constantly try to tell the person on BTs " help desk" that there is a major outage in Shetland and no, there is nothing wrong with my equipment.

Of course the exchange may be up the same 9 mile side road, which would explain it.

wonder if bob is connected via the councils system. he was working for them as a consultant it could explain his speed. there claim is of speeds upto 2.4mbs per sec for both areas. not super fast even if we ever had that speed. on a really nice day we have a speed of 1.

Being or having been a "Consultant" for BT too (see Aaron Foord's link to his CV/Bio) probably gets him a few "in kind" perks as well.

Can anybody tell me why all the streets around the Lerwick Telephone Exchange (Greenfield Square, Water Lane, Chromate Lane, Church Road, etc) are unable to get the new BT fibre broadband?

No one at BT can give me an answer on when it might be available even though all the above streets are within a couple of hundred yards of the Exchange

Any info would be appreciated

Can anybody tell me why all the streets around the Lerwick Telephone Exchange (Greenfield Square, Water Lane, Chromate Lane, Church Road, etc) are unable to get the new BT fibre broadband?

No one at BT can give me an answer on when it might be available even though all the above streets are within a couple of hundred yards of the Exchange

Any info would be appreciated

Its possible that the lines are connected directly to the exchange which means no cabinet. In some areas BT have added cabinet between the exchange and home, in other areas there is the option of fibre to the premisses.

• 5 weeks later...