Broadband speed

Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

Mine is sittin at 1.9 - download, 0.35 upload, dat's whit I usually get.  Maybe do has a fault we de line or somethin? has do tried reporting it as a fault?

Yeah I've contacted dem a few times but never get anywhar we it, its just very up and doon, sometimes its really good, sometimes its terrible. getting brawly fed up we it noo!

I always think that you should only have to pay for what you consistently receive, i.e. if you are paying for 10Mb Broadband but consistently only receive 3Mb you should only pay 30% of your bill. Maybe a bit hard to implement but it would certainly be fairer if it could work!

I agree completely and have suggested dat tae dem a few times, but always get told dat dey dunna offer any packages lik dat! 

I always think that you should only have to pay for what you consistently receive, i.e. if you are paying for 10Mb Broadband but consistently only receive 3Mb you should only pay 30% of your bill. Maybe a bit hard to implement but it would certainly be fairer if it could work!

I agree completely and have suggested dat tae dem a few times, but always get told dat dey dunna offer any packages lik dat! 

If you were getting charged £70 a month for Sky TV but were only getting half the subscribed channels you wouldn't pay for the whole package. Likewise if you were paying a monthly subscription for contact lenses and only received a third of a months supply you wouldn't put up with that. 

Just two silly examples but it demonstrates how internet and mobile phone providers are entirely ripping you off if you live in a rural area. Maybe after the whole Flybe/Loganair campaign has been resolved someone can start one against the communications giants!

• 4 months later...

I now have "Fibre" from BT. Approximately 1 mile from the Cunningsburgh exchange. Happy with that.

I renewed my contract in August. When I rang back at the beginning of October to check if the info on Digital Scotland was correct and the exchange had been enabled for high speed the person who arranged my switchover also reduced my contract cost by £10 a month. Odd but pleasing.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4780128382.png

What in reality is this faster broadband giving us .

Many of my favorite websites are now plastered in adverts and should I wish to remove these adverts then I got to pay. 

Many links from Yahoo,Google ect to newspaper sites also want one to subscribe and pay a fee for the privilege to read it.

Security is now a big problem and also comes at additional cost.

Many if not all service providers are now provideing "cloud" where one can store ones files with them other than on your own computer,very handy and has many uses but here again comes at a price.

So all in all everything may be getting faster and faster but the whole thing is getting more and more expensive and less and less secure.

Guess this is progress :ponders: