Broadband speed

Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

Hi,

Have you been to http://www.speedtester.bt.com and followed the screens? That will tell you what your IP Profile is which is what the BT system reckons your max stable speed will be for the connection. You're probably seeing an IP Profile of 500 or 250 which is still within the parameters of service that BT quote in their docs. Admittedly they're in tiny letters and well concealed.

What kind of service are your neighbours getting? If their ADSL throughput is significantly better then there are a few possibilities to consider:

(1) - Your line is noisy - check your phone, are there any crackles on the line?

(2) - Your internal house wiring might be causing problems - plug it into the test socket (if fitted) inside the casing of your BT master socket.

(3) - Your router/modem might be one with a chipset that is susceptible to line noise. can you get stats from your router? What does it think it is connecting at and what are the line attenuation and noise ratio readouts?

(4) - Are you certain that your ADSL filters are working correctly and are not somehow affecting performance?

(5) - Do you know what your contention ratio is? If there are a lot of people using an ADSL connection in your exchange you will find that performance isn't exactly blisteringly hot.

Bear in mind that ADSL Max will 'train' over a period of three days to a week or so initially while it works out how fast you can go you will get odd and unsustainable connectivity. Down here in the Peoples Republic I'm getting around a megabit and a half on a good day dropping to a megabit when the lines are at peak. We are 3 miles from the exchange though so we're on the edge of getting a minimal service. A month ago my connection speed dropped and I ended up with a 250Kbps service which is no real use to me. I worked through PlusNet's diagnostic procedures and during the process my phone line dropped off. Two days later it returned and my ADSL service reconnected at a much higher speed so I suspect that my issue was down to a faulty BT line. In addition, I replaced my router with one less sensitive to noise problems and the line hasn't dropped below a megabit since - except for this morning when the power was off for three hours GRRRR!

Good luck.

My quoted speed (in Lerwick) was 2.2 Mbps/sec until Dec 01 last year.Then TalkTalk did something to my line and the quoted speed now is 7.4Mbps/sec

Actual speed test (this morning)

2432kbps download (304kBps)

372kbps upload (46.5kBps)

I don't know what my speed tested at before the upgrade but it's a damn sight faster now.

My quoted speed (in Lerwick) was 2.2 Mbps/sec until Dec 01 last year.Then TalkTalk did something to my line and the quoted speed now is 7.4Mbps/sec

Actual speed test (this morning)

2432kbps download (304kBps)

372kbps upload (46.5kBps)

I don't know what my speed tested at before the upgrade but it's a damn sight faster now.

Is this with a Windows machine? In particular a pre Vista Windows machine? If so then I'd suggest trying the same test with a Vista / Windows 7 machine and seeing if it gets closer to your quoted 7.4 speed. They have automatic network tuning whereas older versions of Windows don't. This can easily mean your not getting the full speed available from your ISP.

Assuming a Vista+ machine gets nearer the quoted speeds you could then use a freeware app called TCP Optimizer to adjust your pre Vista machines network settings. It's not for the faint of heart - just make sure you use the program to store a backup of your default settings (IIRC, it does this anyway) before you ask it to make an changes. It's worked a treat on two XP and one 2000 machines at home.

I did the same test Ertie did just after he made his post and it was around 3800 kbps download speed. After 6 pm though, our internet can be useless - and I just did it again - 1300 kbps, which is still better than it can be sometimes. My son, not long ago, was wanting to watch a cartoon on the BBC iPlayer and it was downloading at 1.8 kbps - said it was going to take about 140 hours or something for a 20 minute cartoon. My fella has phoned BT over and over again and they say nothing is wrong - the line is tested and comes back at 8 mbps, but we've never ever been anywhere near that. What's with the 6pm cap though? Does anyone else have this problem?